Bryz's numbers since Jan 17th

Guest Digityman

Although we are not prepared to go "all in" with him just yet, it is worth pointing out that Ilya Bryzgalov has been earning at least a little more of his money over the last few weeks.

Since Jan. 17, he is 8-3-3 with 2.08 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.

So, cue up the Elton John music and sing it with me ... "The Bryz Is Back."

silly.com

Click to enlarge

post-3-0-28847400-1331063966_thumb.png

A 2.08gga puts him at #7 in the league and .922 sv% at 11th.

Only if he could erase the first 3 months....

I think a much better measure is since being sat for the Winter Classic: 10-5-3, 2.36, .914

Up to the Winter Classic: 14-8-3, 3.00, .890

He still gives up the groaner now and again, but he's been a much more solid goalie over the past 10 weeks.

I also think this leads credence to the idea that 24/7 was a major distraction.

Unfortunately, Bob's gone the other way (with an obvious lack of work for the past month)

Bob pre-Winter Classic: 8-2-1, 2.51, .914

And After (including WC): 4-6, 3.61, .883

@radoran, given Bryz's second half uptick, and Holmgren's reinforcements on D, and our lousy SO record, and our annual February scuffle, it should be no surprise to you that we are actually second in the East to the Rangers in the tie-breaker ROW (Regulation + OT Wins) stat with 34, ahead of the Pens by 3. Tonight's oppenent from the West has 36, with 2 more games played. Maybe we can make some noise this Spring.

Still wanna see Bryz replicate the intensity of that WAS game for the next several weeks...

@radoran, given Bryz's second half uptick, and Holmgren's reinforcements on D, and our lousy SO record, and our annual February scuffle, it should be no surprise to you that we are actually second in the East to the Rangers in the tie-breaker ROW (Regulation + OT Wins) stat with 34, ahead of the Pens by 3. Tonight's oppenent from the West has 36, with 2 more games played. Maybe we can make some noise this Spring.

Still wanna see Bryz replicate the intensity of that WAS game for the next several weeks...

Bryz still has a lot to prove to the fanbase and his teammates, but he's at least moving in the right direction.

By all accounts things are coming together this season, where in the past we may have seen hem drift apart.

By all accounts things are coming together this season, where in the past we may have seen hem drift apart.

and honestly, at the risk of being a stepford, now is the time for a team start putting it together. i'd rather they go through some stuff midseason and start to get in gear late than coast through the season. as happy as i'm sure rags fans are these days, they're gonna end up with a lot of meaningless hockey in the couple weeks before the playoffs start....

He still gives up the groaner now and again, but he's been a much more solid goalie over the past 10 2 weeks.

Do you remember some of those games? U-gly describes most of them - groaners galore - right up through the 1st period in Calgary.

Since then he's begun to resemble an NHL goalie and the difference is dramatic - dramatically dramatic even - to say the least.

I'm just afraid to let myself believe Bryz has maybe, perhaps, possibly played out of his slump. This is some kind of trick to lure us all into thinking he's regained form, that his play will be solid, that he's actually a really good, competitive goaltender, who can make great saves at critical times, and who could be worth $51 million. I want to believe it. His play the last few games seems to suggest it, but I know it's going to come back and bite me if I let myself get suckered in and start to believe, to have hope!! Hehe.

what did the philly announcers say about him slamming his stick after Simmonds's giveaway in the third? i only ask because the Wings announcers rode him (bryz) for several minutes after that...

Edited by mkscrewy

JJ and Bill said something about how he may have been upset with something someone on the Redwings might have done or something one of his own players did. Trying to get the refs attention maybe. They really glossed over it and didn't spend much time discussing. They acknowledged it, but that was about it. They couldn't figure it out, or didn't see anything obvious that would have caused such a reaction.

I know there was some scrambling and that our defense was having some trouble getting the puck out of the zone and cleared at the time. My thought when I saw him do it is that he was frustrated with the play of our defense at the time.

Bryzgalov got spoiled by the first period, and the miserly 2 shots on goal allowed (although he did let fully 50% of them in), and the deluge reflected very poorly on the Flyers defense, but can only pump Ilya up going forward.

He played tonight like he was the Master of the Universe. Two shutouts in three games. Now that's worth $51 million. Good to see. He's getting my hopes up......

I'm glad to see he's finally playing well. But if you think two shutouts in three games is worth that, I have some belly lint I'll let go for half a mil. Hopefully he can keep this kind of play up for the rest of the season...and EIGHT more years after that.

I'm glad to see he's finally playing well. But if you think two shutouts in three games is worth that, I have some belly lint I'll let go for half a mil. Hopefully he can keep this kind of play up for the rest of the season...and EIGHT more years after that.

Compared to the way he HAD been playing, it's worth it! And now add another. 3 shutouts in 4 games. Even better. But I agree, sustainability is the key. If he can keep this going, then I'd say we're getting our money's worth. But based on his previous play, I'd like to see another 5 or 6 shutouts in a row to make up for that to get us through the end of the season and then another 3 or 4 in the playoffs. I'd call that even for the crappy play earlier this regular season. Hehe.