Question to Montreal Fans

Guest Miller Time

I was told long ago that to be the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, the favorite team of my cousins in Canada, you had to be able to speak French fluently? Well I doubt very much that Randy Cunneyworth can? If he can its a secret to me? He was a loyal Sabre and even played due to an injury in the 99 finals. He was head coach of the Rochester Americans for years. So is it true? And do you like him or not? Certainly he cannot be blamed for Montreal being where they are.

I know you could care less about the language. That was NOT the question. The question is IS IT MADATORY IN MONTREAL THAT THEIR COACH SPEAKS FRENCH>? I have heard this. Does anyone know if its true? I hear there was alot of complaining when Randy was hired

I know you could care less about the language. That was NOT the question. The question is IS IT MADATORY IN MONTREAL THAT THEIR COACH SPEAKS FRENCH>?

Dude thats pretty much the same thing.... But yeah, everyone in Montreal was complaining that he doesn't speak french and here is why:

1) It makes it easier for the french media and the french fans to communicate

2) The team is in QUEBEC

3) Who ever the Coach of the Habs is, is very big in Montreal. Montreal is a french speaking town.

I like to compare it to politics.... it would be just like having a Prime Minister who doesn't speak french, that's how big it is. Or in your case, a President that doesn't speak spanish.

I may be leaning towards the fact that I'm angry that Cunneyworth is pure english, but I'm really not. I don't think its a big deal at all.

But to answer your ''real question'', it is obviously NOT mandatory to have a french coach, because right now they have an english one. But you can expect to see Cunnyworth fired or re assigned to Hamilton or even back to being an assistant coach (great PK coach) and the Habs mining some coaching talent from the QMJHL or within the organization. Hell, maybe even Patrick Roy.