WJC 2023

Brewin Flames

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Great point. So maybe there is hope for some good luck for a true change. All we got left.

And now when i think about it is best that Chuck remains on till the end of the season till they are done with their chance at the kid.

If they make a change now the new GM is going to try and improve the team ASAP which wouldn't be much but just enough to lift them out the running.

So ban Chuckles from any trades at all...

Depends on the GM. Anyone with a brain would deal off whatever assets on the team they can for picks and try to fall in the standings. I don't trust Fletcher at anything so I'd like him gone. Now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Big day for USA and Canada. Americans have the Finns and the Canucks have the Swedes. I’ll be glued to my couch watching both 

No matter what happens, there's going to be some weird quarter finals going on Jan 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Adam Fantilli to the 4th line is this going to hurt his draft status...

...why the demotion if anyone knows i haven't been able to watch?

He hasn't helped his status, but it's rare for Canada to have 2 draft eligible kids on their team. If he goes back to college and dominates he should still go high. He can still get going in this tourney as well. But he's definitely struggled. He's fighting the puck a lot.

• Like 1

More of the Connor Bedard show last night as he put up 4 assists in a 5-1 Canada romp over Sweden. That ties him with Eric Lindros as the top scoring Canadian in the WJ tournament alltime. Both have 31 points, Lindros did it in 21 games...Bedard in 13. :bow: He leads the tournament with 18 points in 4 games. The 2nd leading scorer has 8 points. He's either scored or assisted on more goals than every team in group B other than the US, who has one more at 19. And he's doing all this at the age of 17. Unbelievable.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Adam Fantilli to the 4th line is this going to hurt his draft status...

...why the demotion if anyone knows i haven't been able to watch?

Fantilli played his best game last night. He didn't register any points, but he was more involved than the previous games.  Confidence is probably playing a big factor here. He's got lots of skill, so hopefully this gets him rolling.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Fantilli played his best game last night. He didn't register any points, but he was more involved than the previous games.  Confidence is probably playing a big factor here. He's got lots of skill, so hopefully this gets him rolling.

He sounds like the guy the Flyers would get if they were to ever stop winning meaningless games...

Ouch, the Swiss and the Germans got atomized in their respective QF. Now that it started to count, there's an abyss between the top teams and the rest. I was especially watching my Swiss but damn, except for Stars' prospect Bichsel who was solid, the rest looked like 4'6"/80 lbs. kids. Quite a bummer to have such a showing in a Championship played in Canada...

On 1/1/2023 at 6:50 AM, flyercanuck said:

Connor Bedard is on pace to tie Peter Forsberg’s all-time record of 31 points in 7 WJC games.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Connor Bedard is on pace to tie Peter Forsberg’s all-time record of 31 points in 7 WJC games.

He broke 5 Canadian records last night scoring 2 g 1 all while taking a beating of cheapshots and scoring the highlight goal of the tournament in OT. The beauty of it was the karma in beating 2nd overall pick and deliverer of many crosschecks Simon Nemec before sliding it into the net for the winner. Nemec also played a great game. 

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He broke 5 Canadian records last night scoring 2 g 1 all while taking a beating of cheapshots and scoring the highlight goal of the tournament in OT. The beauty of it was the karma in beating 2nd overall pick and deliverer of many crosschecks Simon Nemec before sliding it into the net for the winner. Nemec also played a great game. 

Man Blackhawks are going to be so happy when Gary hooks them up again.

• Uggh... 2

Well that score sure didn't indicate how the game went. Milic delivered one of the best performances I've seen from a Canadian goalie in a long time, Bedard quietly was in on 3 goals, Roy, Del Mastro, Clarke and finally Fantilli  all upped their games. The US played a great game, but just couldn't solve the brick wall at the other end. Unfortunately for them they had 2 goals called back on goalie interference. Cooleys hot dog crowd hushing didn't work one iota on the well lubricated Blue Nosers. Flyer prospect Cutter Gauthier was ok, but I didn't really see game changer out of him in this tournament. 

On to the 4th straight Gold Medal game for TC. Czechia and the much anticipated rematch/revenge.

Edited by flyercanuck

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The US played a great game, but just couldn't solve the brick wall at the other end. Unfortunately for them they had 2 goals called back on goalie interference.

The first one was a “home” call imho. I don’t enjoy thinking like that but it’s hard to make sense of it any other way. After that the US looked like a different team, like if Milic wasn’t already in their heads he sure was after that. But all credit to Team Canada they were faster, stronger in the puck and like you said they had a brick wall for their last line of defense. 

I finally got to see firsthand why everyone is calling this a deep draft….first Juniors game I’ve seen all year. So I’m starting to like the idea of the Flyers losing more games…!

35 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The first one was a “home” call imho. I don’t enjoy thinking like that but it’s hard to make sense of it any other way. After that the US looked like a different team, like if Milic wasn’t already in their heads he sure was after that. But all credit to Team Canada they were faster, stronger in the puck and like you said they had a brick wall for their last line of defense.

Same feeling. The first disallowed goal was pure BS but maybe "IIHF rules" applied there where blowing a bit of air towards the goalie lead to an interference call. That was a hammer hit on the US head that put them off the tracks. And the second disallowed goal (with reason this time) pretty much sealed it. 

23 minutes ago, Math said:

Same feeling. The first disallowed goal was pure BS but maybe "IIHF rules" applied there where blowing a bit of air towards the goalie lead to an interference call. That was a hammer hit on the US head that put them off the tracks. And the second disallowed goal (with reason this time) pretty much sealed it. 

I felt the same, thought it was a good hockey goal, and agreed with the TSN panel that it was both an outrageous challenge and outrageous call by the refs.

But, it turns out, the IIHF has consistently judged that situation the same way. There was contact to the goalie's head from the US player's arse in the blue paint. Apparently it doesn't even matter that said contact was partially the result of being pushed by the Canadian Dman. 

Edited by Podein25

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I felt the same, thought it was a good hockey goal, and agreed with the TSN panel that it was both an outrageous challenge and outrageous call by the refs.

But, it turns out, the IIHF has consistently judged that situation the same way. There was contact to the goalie's head from the US player's arse in the blue paint. Apparently it doesn't even matter that said contact was partially the result of being pushed by the Canadian Dman. 

I think Blake being in the crease and blocking (not just his butt in the head) Milics ability to get across didn't help his cause either. It was a questionable call, the 2nd was way clearer. But when the score is 6-2, I'd blame the loss on inability to finish and terrible defence more than one call that could have gone a different way. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think Blake being in the crease and blocking (not just his butt in the head) Milics ability to get across didn't help his cause either. It was a questionable call, the 2nd was way clearer. But when the score is 6-2, I'd blame the loss on inability to finish and terrible defence more than one call that could have gone a different way. 

Agree. Milic was also a difference maker. It was a hella entertaining game to watch that's for sure. Some of my Halifax buddies will be at the game tonight. I was almost able to swing the trip out there for it, but alas, life interfered. 

• Like 2

I gotta admit, I felt bad for those Czech kids after fighting their way back into it. If you asked them at the start if they be happy to win silver I'd bet everyone of them would say ya, but they weren't feeling that last night. Good to see a different team in the final though. They played their hearts out all tournament so they should be proud of what they accomplished.

And Joe....for a week and a half you had the best job on the planet as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I gotta admit, I felt bad for those Czech kids after fighting their way back into it. If you asked them at the start if they be happy to win silver I'd bet everyone of them would say ya, but they weren't feeling that last night. Good to see a different team in the final though. They played their hearts out all tournament so they should be proud of what they accomplished.

And Joe....for a week and a half you had the best job on the planet as far as I'm concerned!

The amount of grey hair I had certainly multiplied when the bronze game went into OT

10500 fans waiting outside,  we watched our window to clean the arena for the next crowd shrink from 30 minutes to 15. LOL

But yeah, if you look closely during the game winning goal you may see my team and i in the zamboni pit jump face first into the glass and start handslamming 

Best event I ever worked easily. In 2003 I worked at a hotel the Russians were staying in and we had to serve them dinner as they celebrated.

After the score was tied it was starting to feel like 2003 again. But damn I got the happy ending this time

• Like 1