Bryz slams stick....

Guest MaineFlyFan

I CANNOT believe no one is talking about this this morning!!! Not a single mention of Bryz blowing his top and smashing his stick off the ice after Simmonds turned the puck over. Are you KIDDIN me?! I've been watching hockey for a while now and I don't think I've ever seen a golaie call out a teammate like that DURING game play.....

Bryz might be playing better right now but he went WAY down in my book after that move. Tottaly classless and NOT what a good teammate does.....Danny B. prob hit it right on the head. this guy must be a NIGHTMARE to play with.....

Not trying to stir the pot here but I cannot believe no one takes any offence to that move by Bryz last night......UNREAL! Simmonds has been a BEAST for most of the year and usually puts a 110% out there from what I've seen. For a guy who was playing like he's been since arriving here, and letting in completely deflating goals one after the other.....for HIM to call someone out for a bad pass.......

I was seruiously expecting him to get benched next game for that but from the post-game comments and Lavy's attitude it looks like this is gonna "slip by" without mention.....this is confusing to me.....

Oh god.. its posts like this that make me want to leave this board... the guy shows a little passion and fire, starts playing well, stands on his head, the Flyers get the win and you still have sand in your vaag over slapping his stick on the ice? geezus and baby geezus..

Edited by KnucklesNilan

I was wondering the same thing. The Insufferable Wings Announcers made a big deal about it last night but the flyers guys seem to have glossed over it. It looked like Simmonds and Bryz had made up or something by the final whistle team high five or whatever. Of course I'd rather it be handled in the room than by Panocchio or Carchidi.

I wasn't at the game and I'm not sure we got a clear view on what happened before the stick slamming. I was surprised when it happened and looking for a reason.

Pure conjecture until reviewing tape, but I think Bryz may have had some contact with a Wing "off camera" which he was reacting to - especially given that there was a big scrum after the whistle behind the net.

I just don't think it was directed "at Simmonds" or because of the turnover. Could be wrong.

I can't find tape of it anywhere, though...

@MaineFllyFan

are you sure that the simmonds play is what bryz was reacting too ?

and this kind of she said, she said stuff is best left for the 8 year old girls....

again other than to say "so what" there's really not a whole lot to talk about.

thanks for the "resonable" response radoran.....and "Knuckles"....the door is that-a-way. I hear they have a GREAT forum over at philly.com :) Sorry i upset your morning by calling out what I saw as a very "un-team-like" thing to do. I'll say it again. Been watching the flyers since 1993....and I have NEVER seen a goalie smash his stick off the ice like a "cry baby" after one of his teammates makes a bad turnover.....Thats not passion. Thas being a **** and a HORRIBLE teammate.

I'm hoping it WAS beacuase of contact cuz I was watching the Detroit feed and the annoucers made it seem as if Bryz was calling out Simmonds and thats sure what it looked like to me!...Again, I hope I'm worng but that could have EASILY been misread by anyone watching that play! I've played hockey and I would NEVER call out a team mate on the ice especially during a game when the paly is still live!!!....Just my two cents. I want Bryz to play well just as much as the next guy and YES, I am happy he is "standing on his head" for a change and making some stops.....

Maybe I mis-read the play but if anyone can find video of it I think it would change some minds....he does it RIGHT after he makes the save off the simmonds turnover...

Carry on boys.....

Good to hear "Bear" thanks for clearing that up and SO SORRY for the confusion! Jeez! Apparently I'm an 8 year old girl with sand in my private parts (real classy and mature fellas...must be no school today :)

To those of you with enough posie to offer a resonable repsonse to my post. From the reaction by the red-wings announcers (I'm not fortunate enought to get flyers coverage....EVER!) I had no other input into the play excpet to think that his reaction was to Simmond's turnover. I was shocked that a Teammate would call out another like that during game play......VERY GLAD I was worng and did not mean to "accuse" Bryz of something he in fact never did!

::slowly backs out of thread and remebers why he doesn't post often.....::

That is the way The Insufferable Wings Announcers played it and without the benefit of Clement's insight I thought the same thing as you. It appeared (at least to me and one other person) it was the culmination of several bad giveaways in our zone, the last of which was Simmonds's that lead to a SOG. I didn't see or hear anything else that would have set him off, but then again we were watching the Wings feed (thanks Comcast).

It is always goofd to get the facts correct. It had to do with something a Wings player said. Per Bill Clement.

Please elaborate if possible because this explanation just doesn't seem plausible. There is trash talking all the time, some of it completely out of bounds I'm sure, and he chooses that as an excuse to slam his stick on the ice? It doesn't add up. Getting peeved about the turnover DOES seem plausible though, especially given his history of showing up teammates and the recent comments by Danny Briere.

@MaineFlyFan

I mentioned this topic in the shoutbox this morning and didn't get a response. Figured I was seeing things, sort of a flashback from the Cechmanek era. Or perhaps I had too many Victory Golden Monkeys.....

In any case, I tried to google it to find a video with no luck. It sort of looks like it was directed at Simmonds, but could have been some on ice stuff involving a Wings player.

Anyhow, thanks for starting the thread because I was wondering the same thing.

My bro and I saw it happen live and we could not figure out why he had slammed the stick. It never occured to me that it could have been directed at Simmonds. We thought a Wing must have poked at him or made some sort of contact that he was upset about.

I don't care who it was directed at, it was stupid on his part because he could have broken his stick with play still going on. I remember when a goalie broke his stick counting down the last few seconds of a powerplay.

I hope it was not directed at Simmer, because I would have to agree with Maine that it would be a **** move to call out your player on the ice like that. Besides that 1st goal, Bryz played another good game and I really want to believe that he has turned the corner with his play and with his relationship to his teammates.

Was at the game and saw it live but no fans there could figure out what the problem was. I assumed that it had to do with a Wing making contact but didnt see anything that stood out to me on the jumbotron replay.

@MaineFlyFan

without knowing Bryz's mind there is no way to know what that behavior was about, speculation seems to only inflame a situation like this...

dude's been under a microscope since he's gotten here, some of it is deserved because his play hasn't been exactly stellar, but my opinion about that was nothing to see here move it along.

sorry if you took offense to the 8 year old comment, but i am not that big a fan of gossip and speculation; and would prefer a little less access to my favorite athletes, but today's sports reporters go for the sensational. what we're talking about here smacks of that unnecessary unpleasantness.

Dude has finally been playing lights out over the past month and now people need to complain about him showing emotion on the ice?

Bryz just can't win, the fans have lost their ****** minds.

Briere's comments indicated that there was a problem with Bryzgalov that required the intervention of the team's leadership group. He wasn't being a good teammate. While Briere suggested there had been improvement, it is reasonable to wonder if this incident represents a relapse. If he slammed his stick because he was mad about the turnover, that doesn't qualify as a healthy display of emotion. He could take some lessons from Ron Hextall in that regard.

Edited by terp

Briere's comments indicated that there was a problem with Bryzgalov that required the intervention of the team's leadership group. He wasn't being a good teammate. While Briere suggested there had been improvement, it is reasonable to wonder if this incident represents a relapse. If he slammed his stick because he was mad about the turnover, that doesn't qualify as a healthy display of emotion. He could take some lessons from Ron Hextall in that regard.

And crack one of the Wings behind the knees, instead of wasting his energy hitting the ice?

And crack one of the Wings behind the knees, instead of wasting his energy hitting the ice?

Exactly. Why waste the lumber on the ice when Robert Kronwell is out there. I dare say Ron Hextall wouldn't be shy about settling accounts with the likes of Kronwall.

I'm not even sure we're all talking about the same play anymore. The one Maine was talking about (since we both had to watch the Wings feed thru Center Ice) was right after Simmonds turned the puck over and the Wings got a shot on goal. Bryz made a blocker save on it I think then slammed his stick on the ice while play continued. Like I said before, the Wings announcers made a big deal about it but the Flyers guys didn't so I dunno what they or you guys saw that we on CI didn't see.

I CANNOT believe no one is talking about this this morning!!! Not a single mention of Bryz blowing his top and smashing his stick off the ice after Simmonds turned the puck over. Are you KIDDIN me?! I've been watching hockey for a while now and I don't think I've ever seen a golaie call out a teammate like that DURING game play.....

Bryz might be playing better right now but he went WAY down in my book after that move. Tottaly classless and NOT what a good teammate does.....Danny B. prob hit it right on the head. this guy must be a NIGHTMARE to play with.....

Not trying to stir the pot here but I cannot believe no one takes any offence to that move by Bryz last night......UNREAL! Simmonds has been a BEAST for most of the year and usually puts a 110% out there from what I've seen. For a guy who was playing like he's been since arriving here, and letting in completely deflating goals one after the other.....for HIM to call someone out for a bad pass.......

I was seruiously expecting him to get benched next game for that but from the post-game comments and Lavy's attitude it looks like this is gonna "slip by" without mention.....this is confusing to me.....

My whole thing is, who cares if it was based on the Simmonds play? To think that teammates don't show frustration towards one another on the ice is incorrect. If a guy receives a "buddy" pass, the passer will surely get chewed out. If a guy misses a wide open player streaking in on a breakaway, he may raise his stick or look back at the player. If a guy won't pass the puck, someone may start banging their stick in frustration to call for the puck. None of those situations show that someone is a bad teammate. I think Bryz has a big target on his back and if he even sneezed the wrong way, his detractors are going to jump all over him.

At this point, he is our goalie going forward into the playoffs. I know comments on a message board won't ever get to him, but I don't see what the point is right now in bashing him. It's not going to change anything. It's just like the fact that right now, booing solves nothing except potentially wears away what little confidence he has built.