Sharks appear to be in real trouble.

Guest Miller Time

I for one did not like the moves San Jose made in the off season and its costing them now. Sedaguchi (sorry if I mispelled) they should have kept. Dominic Moore is a waste. He came to Buffalo for a short time from the Leafs. He actually played over his head in Tampa but did not stay there. He can skate but that is it. He pretty much skates around where the puck is looking for it to come to him. No physical play from him, they can have him. He would be a good AHL player and that is where he belongs.

Sure the Sharks are in trouble. Disagree though on the bad moves comment. Devin Setoguchi has done very little in Minnesota who is crumbling as well. He has 29 points and is a -12 in 59 games. Brent Burns who they got for Setoguchi has 31 points (from the blue line) in 64 games and is a +7, I say SJ won that deal so far. Moore played with a broken bone in has hand in Buffalo and didn't tell anyone. He is a solid playoff depth veteran used for the PK which SJ is near the bottom of the NHL in. Also Winnik and Galiardi were good acquisitions, although McGinn is tearing it up in Colorado.

I agree with @Miller Time. Setoguchi and Heatley should have stayed. Otherwise, they should have gotten more than Havlat and Burns for them. As of today, the Sharks hold the 9th spot, one point out of 8th with 2-3 games in hand on the rest of the league. If they do make the playoffs, it'll be in a low spot, and they'll be matched against the likes of St. Louis or Vancouver -- two teams who have dominated San jose all season long. I'd be willing to bet they won't make it past the Quarterfinals.

Although Niemi has been inconsistent and Havlat injured for a large part of the season, it almost seems as this is leadership / motivation issue within the locker room. The same thing happened under Wilson.

Could be. Seems right. Goaltending isn't as good as it was, but they're not scoring either. Is there a catalyst behind all this or is it that nobody is stepping to the plate? i figure Thornton would be able to rally his troops a bit.

They have about three defensemen, two lines and a okay but not spectacular goalie. Thats it. I think they will regret the panic move trading for Winnick, I think he is a zero. This is a team in big trouble this year and moving forward, Marleau and Thornton are getting up there, Couture is good but not a future star, Burns game has more holes than swiss cheese, and the division is getting better. The sharks could realisticly miss the playoffs this year and be irrelevant next year.

• 3 months later...

@yave1964 The *real* bad move was letting go of Jamie McGinn in the Aves trade. Here is a team desperate for secondary scoring and they deal away a potential star. Jamie is a top 6 forward, only question is, how good will he become....horrible trade....Winnick and T.J Gillardi are decent players, but the upside of McGinn is off the charts, super skater and drives to the net like a beast.

• Like 1