Bruce Boudreau fired ? **UPDATE: It's official, Boudreau Out...Tocchet In

Brewin Flames

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Lol. Gonchar as defensive coach is a bit like Micheal Hayes as a wrestling agent.

As Chris jericho once said "hayes loved suggesting dangerous crazy high spots he would have NEVER done himself in his fabulous freebird wrestling days."

Gonchar never knew the defensive end of the ice. Why is he coaching defense? 

Kinda what I figured.
Gonchar played as I was just becoming a serious hockey fan, so my memory on him is a bit fuzzy, but I did seem to recall that defensive play was not his strong suit.

Didn't ANYONE learn anything from the Phil Housley hire in Buffalo some years back when the team really needed some defense.....and thought Housley, a textbook offensive defenseman, was the answer? :rolleyes:

Personally I like Boudreau so for me it's sad to fire him and think Boudreau is a good coach...I think they should've kept him as coach and do the fire sale anyways because no other coach they get will be as good...

1 hour ago, Villella McMeans said:

Personally I like Boudreau so for me it's sad to fire him and think Boudreau is a good coach...I think they should've kept him as coach and do the fire sale anyways because no other coach they get will be as good...

The only fly in the ointment there would have been, I don't see Boudreau at 68 wanting to stick around for a rebuild.
When he was coaxed to go coach the Minnesota Wild it was with the belief that the Wild were ready to win when he was there.

Obviously that sent completely sideways and then Boudreau went into a hockey analyst position (which I still contend he is very good at...both in knowledge and personality for), but then was lured out with the idea the Vancouver Canucks were ready to win.

Chasing that elusive Stanley Cup as a head coach may not come to fruition for him because it seems his teams always seem to lack that "something" to get them there.
Of course, Boudreau detractors MIGHT say, that Bruce himself is the thing (or one of the things), keeping a team from making the leap from "good" to "championship level".

But looking back at this whole fiasco, I tend to agree with JR's take....whether one likes Boudreau or not....if you're gonna fire the guy, have a guy already decided on, then fire the guy, and don't leave him flapping around dealing with media and their jackal questions.
I think from the compassionate side of things, that would have been the most humane thing to do.

• Like 1

This franchise looks like a train wreck but if you first bring your coach, then you hire the assistant GM, then two days later the main GM, and finally the president comes in, you don't help your cause and it contributes to the big mess observed right now, both on and off the ice.

• Like 1