22-23 NHL All Star Game

Buffalo Rick

I do not really get this new format?  But I just went to ESPN to look for the lineups, and looking at the Atlantic division, I see NO DEFENSEMEN LISTED AT ALL!!!!!  WTF?   I will come right to the point.  It will be a crime if Rasmus Dahlin is not on the All Star team!!!!  Period.  Are you kidding me?  I see Tage Thompson from my Sabres and I could bitch about Tuch being left out, but Dahlin?  I am not sure. I see no defensemen listed and he is the best defenseman in the NHL right now IMO.  Ill take him over Karlsson in a NY minute.  Own Power will be there by next year.  That kid is phenomenal but Dahlin, he has the numbers.  He has Orr like numbers in points now.  He is the 3rd fastest in NHL history to reach 50 points behind only Orr and Coffey.  That is enough in itself but he belongs for many other reasons.   Watch his game. Watch what he can do with the puck and how he can skate circles around opposing players.  He has also become a leader.  The kid is incredible.  I doubt ill watch the nonsense anyway.  All the circus events. As much as I love the game its not for me. But I am for a fair selection.  The casual fan does not know the difference and will always select players based on past.  So if a guy tapers off, he still gets on if you leave it to the untrained eye.  Dahlin belongs on the team.

• Like 1

All 32 teams get 1 participant, then apparently a fans vote designated 12 more for 44 total.  

Sorry, Buffalo is in the majority of only having 1 (Thompson).  

Ovechkin listed for the Capitals.  Will he blow it off again as he’s often done?

5 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

All 32 teams get 1 participant, then apparently a fans vote designated 12 more for 44 total.  

Sorry, Buffalo is in the majority of only having 1 (Thompson).  

Ovechkin listed for the Capitals.  Will he blow it off again as he’s often done?

Dahlin should be in for sure. What a joke

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I  have not watched the NHL All Star game in years as it has become a farce ......

Hate the format ....though I do enjoy the skills competition. (that is about it)

Same for me. The skills competition is still kinda fun but the stupid selection mode with the fan vote is garbage. A lot of superstars are staying at home while making room for others because they play in bottom teams. If Ovie, Kucherov, McDavid, Draisaitl, Robertson, Aho, Vasilevsky are playing in the same team, send them all. At least you had some competition when you had a real game between the West and the East. Now you have a lame division format with the lame 3-on-3 where the only objective is not getting injured while goalies are letting almost every puck in. Perfectly aligned with Tortorella: a giant shitshow circus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meh...at this stage, I don't know why anyone would be all up in arms about all star formats. I mean, for the last decade plus, there seems to be a  new format of some sort (most VERY gimmicky) every year.
It has gotten to the point of lunacy where I am just numb to it already.

All Star snubs, sure, those are ALWAYS a point of contention regardless of format. There will always be some very good players not being named or voted in.
Then of course, you have the guys who ARE voted in by the fans, regardless of what kind of year they are having, and then those same players may even decide to NOT show up.
Mysterious ailments usually crop up, dontcha know...

For me, the All Star Break is what it is.
Like many of you, I can still enjoy the skills competition to a degree, but I will wholly pass on the 'game' itself.
Guys are out there having a good time, and good for them...they deserve to let off some steam and just clown around if they want to.... but let's not pretend this is some sort of serious contest that showcases true online skill, grit, determination, or anything else that is highlighted in say, ohhh, I dunno...the playoffs?

I will be scouring articles looking for what may come regarding trades or team plans moving forward, either as contenders or rebuilders while the NHL and the players named to the All Star teams have their little fun.
It will make me appreciate things all the more once they do get back to serious business on the ice and start playing meaningful games leading to the post season once again.

Oh, and regarding Rasmus Dahlin:
As is normal, I was thinking BR here was blowing more smoke for one of his players once again. I mean, I knew Dahlin is having a good year....but is he in the top echelon of defensemen, nay, players in the league yet?

Looked at his numbers....coupled that with what I have seen from him myself, and you know what? 
Rasmus Dahlin certainly DOES deserve to be an All Star player....and from the looks of it, he is only going to get better moving forward.
He rates right up there with, and even surpasses in some cases, players like E. Karlsson, Hedman, Ekblad, Letang, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, hell, even media darling Cale Makar!

For his career, Dahlin will need to be consistent and begin to add on to his game play style, otherwise this year will look like a fluke, so that is the work he will have to put in to carve out an image of a true elite NHL defenseman, but again, he is still very young and should get TONS better with time and experience.
Definitely a guy Buffalo fans should be very excited about, and NHL fans should be watching whenever they can.

• Good Post 2

Weird...Dylan Cozens and Tage Thompson were listed as injured yesterday but now Buffalo showing no injuries...anyways yeah this Buffalo team is really exciting to watch now for the first time for me at least...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:28 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not really get this new format?  But I just went to ESPN to look for the lineups, and looking at the Atlantic division, I see NO DEFENSEMEN LISTED AT ALL!!!!!  WTF?  

Maybe ESPN doesn't know there's defencemen in the NHL?

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 6:21 AM, pilldoc said:

I  have not watched the NHL All Star game in years as it has become a farce ......

Hate the format ....though I do enjoy the skills competition. (that is about it)

Exactly!!!! The wife and I LOVE the skill competition but don't even bother with the games, dreadful not even hockey. Just unwatchable IMHO. and I don't like the two weeks mid season near shut down. Every team getting a week off? Dreadful 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

On 2/1/2023 at 3:47 AM, Villella McMeans said:

I agree Dahlin deserves to be an all star this year...but now Thompson is listed as injured on theScore against Carolina today so maybe Dahlin will replace Thompson at the all star game...

On 2/1/2023 at 1:45 PM, Villella McMeans said:

Weird...Dylan Cozens and Tage Thompson were listed as injured yesterday but now Buffalo showing no injuries...anyways yeah this Buffalo team is really exciting to watch now for the first time for me at least...

@Hockey Junkie looks like you got your wish man haha Dahlin an All-Star now 💫

%F0%9F%92%ABsabres-dahlin-replaces-injur

🍻

Edited by Villella McMeans
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

I just found out. Do you know how injured Thompson is?  We don’t play for over a week.  Granato must get them to play at home like they do on the road.  The Penguins and Capitals are ripe for the picking

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I just found out. Do you know how injured Thompson is?  We don’t play for over a week.  Granato must get them to play at home like they do on the road.  The Penguins and Capitals are ripe for the picking

Well he's listed and day to day...which is funny because he and Dylan Cozens both were listed day to day few days ago before the Carolina game but then were both cleared to play and obviously Thompson got injured in that game and now listed as he was before as day to day with upper body injury...without Thompson Pittsburgh and Washington probably thinking Buffalo are ripe for the picking now hahaha...but with a weeks rest that might be enough for him to recover in time to face Ovie and Sydney...

Edited by Villella McMeans

On 2/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, Villella McMeans said:

@Hockey Junkie looks like you got your wish man haha Dahlin an All-Star now 💫

%F0%9F%92%ABsabres-dahlin-replaces-injur

🍻

For the first time in a while.  They were very exciting to watch in 1975, 1999, and 2006 if I had to pick years.  But this young team is indeed exciting and could make the playoffs this year if they can play as well at home as they do on the road.  Early on they were playing well at home.  This is on Granato.  Even though Dahlin made it as he should have, I did not watch the skate and shoot nonsense with the teams that win the first shortened game playing the second.  If you happened to watch, which team won?  I guess I would pick the Central or Metro? Were they high scoring affairs?  The old all star games were usually like 13-11 type deals but of course they played an entire 3 twenty minute periods. Now they have gone crazy as the NFL has and who cares to watch that crap either. A bunch of 5th or 6th choices playing QB to boot. When they took the game from Hawaii I think the overpaid millionaires no longer had interest. 

I watched some of the “skills “ competition. 
Espn should be banned from running this event in the future. 
Their format and commentary was horid at best. 
The continuity was a mess. 
Just like last year the passing competition or whatever that was, not even on ice, WTF. 

The pluses: the Miami Vice styled jerseys with the vintage conference logos. Would've been better with classic numbers and nameplate caracters instead of this rounded police but maybe I'm too peaky.

The minuses: all the rest.