Game 57: Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks; 2/18/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The West Coast Shuffle continues with the O & B a mild underdog (+104) against a bad Vancouver team that we beat 3-2 last October:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-vancouver-odds-february-18-2023-1705651

Both teams are playing poorly over the last 10, but note that Vancouver is giving up over 4 goals a game:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-van/2023/02/18/2022020891

After last night's debacle against Seattle, you'd hope to see an energized squad.  I won't hold my breath.  

Edited by Howie58

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 57: Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks; 2/18/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

From what I can recall the Flyers have responded pretty well this season after a really poor effort. But tonight? Who knows. They may play a smart, disciplined road game and beat a bad Vancouver team, especially if they can get their PP working against the Canucks’ PK, which is pretty terrible. Then again it’s just as likely the Flyers’ PP goes 0-for, and this becomes Game 4 of another 10-game losing streak. 

Go Flyers Zzzzzzz….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

My money's on Schenn and DesLauriers dropping them.

The Office Pam GIF by MOODMAN

Two guys on teams going nowhere risking permanent head trauma for...

I'm all for keeping fighting in the game.

Goons facing off in literally meaningless games is stupid.

6 hours ago, radoran said:

This...it's not even exciting. I mean when two tough guys are fighting for the puck in the corner and an elbow gets up and they spontanously drop 'em, that's exciting. 

When two neanderthals get sent out to give each other the nod pre-faceoff, then slowly take off their gloves and elbow pads and jockey for position,throw a few, then congratulate each other for making miilions to be lousy hockey players, it's just plain dumb.

• Like 3

Well you take it all when you hire tough guys like Deslauries - the antics and the enforcement role. He has helped the Flyers this season in his way, brought some aggressiveness etc. Yes the staged fights are ridiculous, pointless, a waste of time. But I'm glad the Flyers have a couple guys who will stand up for their teammates and fight.

Another 6-2 game last night...Go Flyers!

35 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well you take it all when you hire tough guys like Deslauries - the antics and the enforcement role. He has helped the Flyers this season in his way, brought some aggressiveness etc.

2nd least amount of wins in the conference....5 seasons into Fletchers rule. How has he helped? More pims? His 8 points sure hasn't helped. I guess watching him throw punches is more exciting than Hayes skating. 

40 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well you take it all when you hire tough guys like Deslauries - the antics and the enforcement role. He has helped the Flyers this season in his way, brought some aggressiveness etc. Yes the staged fights are ridiculous, pointless, a waste of time. But I'm glad the Flyers have a couple guys who will stand up for their teammates and fight.

Another 6-2 game last night...Go Flyers!

Fights were the best when some cheap shot coward like Sean Avery or Claude Lemieux would get pummeled spontaneously. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

How has he helped?

c'mon you've been around hockey long enough to know the value of an enforcer, even in today's NHL. That's all. Is he irreplaceable? Hardly. But he adds what enforcers add to an NHL team. The Flyers already had MacEwen so we didn't need him. Chalk it up as another dumb signing by Fletcher.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

c'mon you've been around hockey long enough to know the value of an enforcer, even in today's NHL. That's all. Is he irreplaceable? Hardly. But he adds what enforcers add to an NHL team. The Flyers already had MacEwen so we didn't need him. Chalk it up as another dumb signing by Fletcher.

I love players like Tocchet, Iginla, Chara etc...guys who can play and dish it out when need be. Lug heads who come out for 3 shifts a game...not so much.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

c'mon you've been around hockey long enough to know the value of an enforcer, even in today's NHL.

Zero. 

Actually the value is less than zero - they are taking the spot and cap space of someone who theoretically could actually play hockey.

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

c'mon you've been around hockey long enough to know the value of an enforcer, even in today's NHL. That's all. Is he irreplaceable? Hardly. But he adds what enforcers add to an NHL team.

I'm not sure that "value" is the same.

When you go into a game "knowing" that the fight will happen is it the same as a response to a provocation?

You don't want a Kurtis McDermid (0 shifts in the playoffs for COL last year) you want a Patrick Maroon who can also skate a reasonable shift (23 playoff games for Tampa the year before).

Deslauries getting in staged fights for teams going nowhere helps no one.

I found it hard to watch. Our turnovers made it painful. In Seattle, we were asleep and effort was lacking. I agree with FC and others, last night was a talent deficit. They were skating through us and scoring on shots and plays we couldn't manufacture.  

Our lack of offensive talent is nothing new. Torts warned us about that before the season started. What scares me is that our D corps isn't what we expected on D, and it isn't scoring period. Our backend problems started before CF, but he's made them worse. And it may be time to trade Provo. He hasn't stepped up this year or maybe he's thrown in the towel.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I found it hard to watch. Our turnovers made it painful. In Seattle, we were asleep and effort was lacking. I agree with FC and others, last night was a talent deficit. They were skating through us and scoring on shots and plays we couldn't manufacture.  

Our lack of offensive talent is nothing new. Torts warned us about that before the season started. What scares me is that our D corps isn't what we expected on D, and it isn't scoring period. Our backend problems started before CF, but he's made them worse. And it may be time to trade Provo. He hasn't stepped up this year or maybe he's thrown in the towel.

We are spending 10 million on two third pair dmen,Risto and and DA. Our supposed two best, Provorov and Soyheim are not worth what they are making.

• Like 2

Ouch! sometimes the truth really hurts…Ellis is more noticeable than Sanheiim that’s funny…in a sad kind of way.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

And it may be time to trade Provo. He hasn't stepped up this year or maybe he's thrown in the towel.

Damn these Flyers. For whatever they did, didn’t do or whatever the hell happened to Provorov. Likewise Sanheim and Farabee. Three guys (among others) who came into the league with obvious-to-everyone potential. Their rookie years proved the buildup was justified. And then? Look at them now (if you can bear to watch). Provorov’s still a turnover waiting to happen, JF looks like he’s forgotten that he has a natural ability to find/create seams and score goals and Sanheim? Sanheim is just a mess. He’s the picture of inconsistency and cluelessness.

All 3 should be bordering on great NHL players by now. Instead they play like they’re just waiting it out. Waiting what out I have no idea but even their good shifts, good games are not what they should be. 

The Flyers, up and down their organization, are partly/mostly to blame for these failures. If those 3 were on a different team there’s no way they’d be so far behind in their own development. Reluctantly I agree it’s probably time to trade them. The Flyers failed these 3 and unfortunately there are others sinking in the same mud. What a waste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ouch! sometimes the truth really hurts…Ellis is more noticeable than Sanheiim that’s funny…in a sad kind of way.

Damn these Flyers. For whatever they did, didn’t do or whatever the hell happened to Provorov. Likewise Sanheim and Farabee. Three guys (among others) who came into the league with obvious-to-everyone potential. Their rookie years proved the buildup was justified. And then? Look at them now (if you can bear to watch). Provorov’s still a turnover waiting to happen, JF looks like he’s forgotten that he has a natural ability to find/create seams and score goals and Sanheim? Sanheim is just a mess. He’s the picture of inconsistency and cluelessness.

All 3 should be bordering on great NHL players by now. Instead they play like they’re just waiting it out. Waiting what out I have no idea but even their good shifts, good games are not what they should be. 

The Flyers, up and down their organization, are partly/mostly to blame for these failures. If those 3 were on a different team there’s no way they’d be so far behind in their own development. Reluctantly I agree it’s probably time to trade them. The Flyers failed these 3 and unfortunately there are others sinking in the same mud. What a waste.

I cant aree with you more. Well said

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Couldn't agree with you more. What else would anyone be in this organization but mediocre down, except Fletcher, who couldn't be worse . If you play here and you see the pathetic lack of effort to improve the on ice product, regardless of salary and professionalism they are still human, and its hard to play above your weight when all around you are punching marshmallows. Its just being human.

20 hours ago, radoran said:

Two guys on teams going nowhere risking permanent head trauma for...

I'm all for keeping fighting in the game.

Oh I'm pretty sure it's already too late for DesLauriers. He took a LOT of punches earlier in his career as he learned how to fight (now not so many). He used to be willing, but not as able. 

Schenn has fought a lot this year. He wants to show he still has something to offer a playoff team for a deadline deal. 

But as we already know, nothing happened in the game. Flyers failed to show up period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Couldn't agree with you more. What else would anyone be in this organization but mediocre down, except Fletcher, who couldn't be worse . If you play here and you see the pathetic lack of effort to improve the on ice product, regardless of salary and professionalism they are still human, and its hard to play above your weight when all around you are punching marshmallows. Its just being human.

I guess it is just being human but to me that’s an assistant coaches excuse, maybe even a HC. But the players? I don’t know. We know the rot starts at the top but WTF happened to these guys? Why a talented goal scorer like Farabee has 9 measly goals in 57 games. He’s under 0.5 pts/game. Why Sanheim with his wheels and nose for the net has 4 goals in 57. Provorov is the biggest mystery of all. 3 goals in 57 games. Nick Seeler has 3 goals in 50 games. 

Does the general malaise, the continual lipstick-on-a-pig approach emanating from the Senior Advisors and the GM’s offices explain it all? Maybe it does.

And still - call me crazy- I believe with the right management these guys, Sanheim Farabee and Provorov are 3 players well worth keeping. Unfortunately we’ll have to wait for the grim reaper to call their numbers; they cling to their jobs like they’re fkng mini emperors or something. WTF!

//rant