Game 65: Philadelphia Flyers at Carolina Hurricanes; 3/9/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Carolina is favored (-368) with a predicted 6-3 score.  I don't recall an opponent being so heavily favored this season, but when you enter the game 2-8 in your last 10 and up against a very hot squad, I guess that's expected.  

Their D is stingy and scoring is very good.  They excel in faceoffs:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-car/2023/03/09/2022021030

Our historical record against Carolina is good, but we've lost our last five matchups:

http://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Carolina_Hurricanes#:~:text=History Versus Carolina Hurricanes Overall Record%3A 53 W,- 3 T (161 GF - 127 GA)

Let's hope it's competitive.  

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Our main objective is to find the press box where Schmuck Fletcher is eating popcorn and get a Fire Fletcher chant going with the other Flyers fans in attendance as well as Canes fans if they want to join in. 

You are an awesome person and I love you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

We have so little offense. It's sad. We are playing well.

Quite a few games this year that sums it up.

Speaking of offense ... Farabee's breakaway was baffling. He looked like he was skating in for an ENG ... just baffling

• Like 1

As mentioned, was at the game with my son. Sandstrom was the only reason this didn’t end up 6 or 7 to nothing. 

Flyers have zero, repeat zero offensive creativity. Tippet is fast as hell and seems to give it 110% each shift, All star Hayes just the opposite.

Foerster played well and was around the net few times, flyers had some chances, just couldn’t finish. They played a pretty good game considering the team they were playing against. This team has bought into Torts system. I would love to see what could happen with a more skilled roster.

Although we could find Schmuck in the suites, about 12-15 of us did get a brief fire Fletcher chant going. Canes radio guys were laughing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Playing well, fair enough, but this team is SO BORING to watch. Absolute lack of offensive skill. 

Agreed. They played not to lose out of necessity. The PP is inept. Sandstrom's saves were the best thing to watch.

• Like 1

As of Wednesday morning, multiple sources have told me there is no set decision to instill Briere as the next GM of the team nor have the Flyers approached him about assuming the role, although it is still very much a possibility. Should there be a house cleaning (of sorts) in the front office, I’m told Briere will not be a part of it and will be retained by the club. He is very well liked and respected within the organization and is viewed as a part of the future.

Ugh.

Barber and Holmgren, in particular, I’ve heard to be much more involved than one would think “advisors” would be, with the former serving as Comcast Spectacor Chairman Dave Scott’s personal hockey consigliere. Both have a storied history with the team off the ice – Barber being a former Head Coach and Holmgren previously serving as President & GM – along with being former players, but with so many changes in the game, you have to wonder if their respective approaches to building a winning organization may be outdated. This is not to say they’re making the decisions on day-to-day transactions and lineup personnel, but rather having a hand in the organizational direction.

Someone please take the old horses to the glue factory please.

• Like 2

@SCFlyguy

I agree with both your reactions.

If Briere is "well liked and respected in the organization" that's hardly a recommendation. He may be his own man (so to speak) and have his own ideas, but if he takes over as GM he'll have to prove he's not a clone of Clarke/Holmgren. That should be easy, just like it was easy for Fletcher to prove he was.

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Someone please take the old horses to the glue factory please.

It's time. It's been time for a long time. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

f21fb3b6-bc02-47ce-86e4-88d4e1827490_tex

I but i love the wording they "release" Chuck Fletcher??? Why not say what it is???

Yctp51V9.jpg.2c84b0413fbe81572785c20ccbe851d9.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-release-president-and-general-manager-chuck-fletcher/c-342064764

He was fired!

I just don't know why these dumb mother*ckers didn't do this way before the deadline i would have loved to see what Danny could have done with some of these contracts.

Eitherway i am glad the Chuck Era is OVER!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Eitherway i am glad the Chuck Era is OVER!!!!!!!

Yes sir! And now comes the real work…digging out the hole that fool buried them in. I don’t know if Dave Scott believes what he says but he’s right it’s a multi-year job ahead for the Flyers to get back to respectability. I think Tortorella’s message this year about accountability and pride was the right one, it was the necessary first baby step. Who heard it and can carry it into next season? I’m looking forward to finding out.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes sir! And now comes the real work…digging out the hole that fool buried them in. I don’t know if Dave Scott believes what he says but he’s right it’s a multi-year job ahead for the Flyers to get back to respectability. I think Tortorella’s message this year about accountability and pride was the right one, it was the necessary first baby step. Who heard it and can carry it into next season? I’m looking forward to finding out.

Right now I am just happy for change.

I bet Howie Roseman could have run a Flyer's roster better than Chuck with zero hockey experience.

• Like 2