Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

from Dave Scott:

“Flyers fans deserve a better team than what they’ve seen on the ice over the past few seasons, and a clear plan to return this team to Stanley Cup contention,” Scott said. “We know that this will be a multi-year process, and we are committed to doing it right, because we want to put this franchise on a path toward winning the Stanley Cup, period.”

we'll see

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

well there you have it. the pendulum has swung back. And all those who wanted Briere get their wish. I am happy about this decision of course, Fletcher is the JVR of GM's, with less hockey talent. A cancer has been cut out. I still don't think Briere will be a good choice and I don't expect him to accomplish much. I will be happy to be proven wrong

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

from Dave Scott:

“Flyers fans deserve a better team than what they’ve seen on the ice over the past few seasons, and a clear plan to return this team to Stanley Cup contention,” Scott said. “We know that this will be a multi-year process, and we are committed to doing it right, because we want to put this franchise on a path toward winning the Stanley Cup, period.”

we'll see

I share the optimism ...but until the old guard is completely eradicated from this organization I am fearful this is just window dressing....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Having said that, why now?

I mean, I'm glad he can no longer harm my  favorite hockey team. 

But there was a 10 game losing streak this season. There was the Nic Delauries centered aggressive retool.

I am curious as to why March 10 in the year of our lord 2023?

Truly this organization can't seem to do anything right, including being bad.

anyways, yay **** that guy. 

Let's see what ol' Lil Paul McCartney can do with little star power, no cap space and undesirable players.

I've got nothing ......being shut out last night??? 

but yeah ... what was the straw that broke the camels back?

• Like 1

Scott said. "We know that this will be a multi-year process, and we are committed to doing it right, because we want to put this franchise on a path toward winning the Stanley Cup, period."

Until they start to make the right moves (drop dead weight / manage the cap better / etc ...) ....I would take this with a grain of salt ....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The timing seems strange.  But...

1) I thought Fletcher's comment last week to the effect that he isn't worried about his job and that it was Dave Scott's decision to stay on board was strange.  It was almost as if he was either daring Scott to fire him or making an implicit request for a a vote of confidence.  

2) Splitting the two positions (GM and Hockey Operations VP) adds some checks and balances.

3)  I suspect one of the reasons this is done now is to change the draft.  Flahr is as good as toast.  

4)  Torts is a kind of Assistant GM in addition to coach.  I suspect he will have significant input on player acquisition.

5) I send prayers and condolences to Danny and his team.  They have their work cut for them.

6)  I guess the "aggressive retool" is now officially dead.  Scott says this will be a long slog.

Yeah, glad it's done, but it is only the beginning of a rebuild.  And I hope that certain former Flyers keep their noses out of the process. 

Excellent observations ..... agree with all points listed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this is necessarily strange timing.  I think it's a direct result of the trade deadline debacle. 

Somewhere in the dark catacombs of the internal workings of Comcast Spectacor they huddled--probably yesterday was the first time calendars were open--and came to consensus.  They needed to read Briere in and get an acceptance of the temp job, prepare their press release(s) and lower the boom this morning when he arrived to work.

If the question is "why not well before the deadline--in response to the idiocy that was the offseason?"  I got nothing.

• Like 3

If there's a poll, it's about Flahr.  Is he gone in days or weeks.  I even wonder about the medical people, training staff, etc.  On the operations side, Fletcher brought in newbies for sales and whatever.  He even brought in a quant/analytics type.  There might be a lot resume brush ups in Flyerland in coming days. 

• Like 1