Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Glad for the Flyer fanbase. Really. Nothing worse than having a guy making decisions that you, as Average Joe Fan completely understand are inane, yet have to stomach them because the guy in charge is "a professional".

I also am not a fan of a guy losing his job, BUT, as has been proven in the past, people who either play pro sports or manage pro sports live in a different world than those of us who work in an office, a warehouse, drive a vehicle, or otherwise HAVE to have our jobs to pay our bills.
While no doubt Fletcher will have to find other ways to provide for his family now, somehow I get the feeling he isn't as financially wounded by this firing as, say, John Doe getting fired from his trucking gig, or Sarah Smiles being fired from her call center gig....

But anyways....yea, 'Ding Dong the Fletcher's Dead' sing the Munchkins, but are the Dorothy Flyer Fans REALLY out of Oz just yet?
Hmmm. As many have repeatedly pointed out, Philly hockey problems have their roots at the very top in their thinking the team "is still just a player or two away from being a player or two away", then hiring a guy who will make decisions (like Chuckles there cleaning out his office) according to that.

So, while I am glad for a fanbase who has had to see crap decision after crap decision made (as a Lightning fan going all the way back to the mid 90's, I can certainly feel their pain as the Bolts were once a joke franchise run by clown owners and jester GM's), I still wonder if removing Fletcher is just a mere portion of the cure.
I mean, after a colonoscopy, the doctors have to go back in and remove the leftovers after seeing how the patient is responding, don't they?

Or is it more accurate to say, that firing Fletcher is like giving the patient an enema, but the real cause of the indigestion has yet to be taken care of?

Enter Dan Briere.
It will be interesting to see how much freedom or restrictions the people above the GM's office put on him.

Congrats Flyer fans. A big problem has finally been weeded out.
Let's just hope the think tank doesn't believe they are NOW just a season away from a Cup contender ...

Yes, and whether certain former Flyers players/administrators stay away...or GTF out of town?  Candidly, I think Danny is a good guy.  But once again, someone from the Flyers Family is brought in.  Fletcher and his dad had Flyers connections....Hextall was a former player....the squad needs a wholesale DNA change but keeps going to the administrative well with people who've been part of the system.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I also am not a fan of a guy losing his job,

I tend to not worry about people making in a year what some don't in a lifetime.

If you do a bad job, you get fired.

It's what happens at every level.

Chuck flamed out in MIN and got another job.

He'll be fine.

The franchise is ****ed.

• Good Post 3

So fired means fired right and Chuck isn’t failing upwards to a senior advisor role with the team like Robert Earl Clarke, Homer and Barber?

Enjoy Minnesota Chuck, after all that’s all you care about!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

I tend to not worry about people making in a year what some don't in a lifetime.

If you do a bad job, you get fired.

It's what happens at every level.

Chuck flamed out in MIN and got another job.

He'll be fine.

The franchise is ****ed.

THIS ⬆️ RIGHT FRICKEN HERE! ⬆️:PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4:

If you want to stay employed, stop being a brain dead idiot who can't find his a$$ with two hands and a mirror. Step up your game. And if you keep getting fired for doing the same dumb schidt over and over, it's on you. Do us all a favor, either retire or get hired to run the Penguins

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So glad Fletcher wasn't promoted to the ranks of the "senior advisors."

I agree with those who say ENOUGH! of the ex-Flyers in the management pool. It shouldn't automatically disqualify somebody but the Flyers simply have too many former players involved in running the show. I sure wish at least Clarke and Holmgren would retire already...

So Briere is an "interim GM" and they plan to hire a new guy over the summer. Who will do the hiring? Do they have an app for that too?

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I could put a poll to this this post ....HOWEVER ... do I really need too?

Outside of one lonely member that I can think of ...is there anyone on here that thinks that this is the wrong move???  I suspect many of us are saying about freaking time .....

As they say in congress:  force the vote.  get it on record.  😎

(no, I don't think it's necessary; just entertaining)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So who takes over the "president of hockey operations" role? And how long before we the fans, start calling for Danny's head? First loss of next season, errrr opening game?

My understanding from the press release is Danny is running the show until a "permanent" GM and President of Hockey Ops are hired.

He's doing both.

It seems like there will be a serious search or at least the appearance of a serious search to fill the President of Hockey Position, at least.

It seems like 'they' like Daniel and my remove the interim tag once the PHO position is filled, if "they" are wise they will hire the PHO and that person will pick their GM.

I hope it's Tochett and Pronger. 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

from Dave Scott:

“Flyers fans deserve a better team than what they’ve seen on the ice over the past few seasons, and a clear plan to return this team to Stanley Cup contention,” Scott said. “We know that this will be a multi-year process, and we are committed to doing it right, because we want to put this franchise on a path toward winning the Stanley Cup, period.”

we'll see

Like my dad always said. "Proof is in the pudding".....funny guy that dad.

Seriously though. I hope this org goes straight up Rangers on our ass. I just don't have the confidence to believe we have the right people in our FO to make sure the rebuild is a sucess.... Chuck is gone. is that enough?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Like my dad always said. "Proof is in the pudding".....funny guy that dad.

Seriously though. I hope this org goes straight up Rangers on our ass. I just don't have the confidence to believe we have the right people in our FO to make sure the rebuild is a sucess.... Chuck is gone. is that enough?

Nope not enough. Agree a ranger level rebuild would be ideal. I don’t think we have the pieces or the picks to start that yet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Chuck is gone. is that enough?

Isn't Dave Scott out too? I thought he was promoted and some new guy is taking over as president of hockey ops Chairman & CEO of Comcast Spectacor. Whatever. The answer is: probably not.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I can't find it - google and duckduck are all swamped with the Fletcher story. But I'm sure I read that Scott was out and some guy who called himself a "rabid" Flyers' fan or something like that was taking over Scott's job.

Daniel Hilferty was hired as new CEO in February. It doesnt say he is replacing Scott, just working with him and Valerie Camillo, whoever the "---" she is

• Thanks 1

Just now, SCFlyguy said:

Meet the new boss . . . same as the old boss.

Let me be the first to say, can't wait until they fire Briere.

Just say no to ex-Flyers.

If it's just Fletcher, you're right, it's just going to be more of the same with Briere as the next puppet. I'm hoping it goes further than the GM

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Daniel Hilferty was hired as new CEO in February. It doesnt say he is replacing Scott, just working with him and Valerie Camillo, whoever the "---" she is

damn okay I coulda sworn I read he was replacing Dave Scott.

Firing Fletcher was obviously a mandatory first step. Briere as "interim" - fine, whatever. But please, Flyers - don't stop there. They'd never push out Clarke, probably Homer or Bill Barber either but there HAS to be more of a shakeup than just firing Fletcher. If they ever expect to compete for the Stanley Cup again that is.

• Like 1

So what is next?

The organization had already pivoted over the past month to a more open rebuilding strategy, first Torts letter to the the fans and now today's seals the deal.

As Charlie O'Connor stated in an article earlier this morning....

"The Flyers will be embarking on a multiyear rebuild. Fletcher wasn’t hired to rebuild, so it makes perfect sense that with the change in strategy comes new people to engineer it. The Flyers won’t be tanking — they’ve made that abundantly clear — but they’ve accepted that this isn’t going to be fixed overnight. Now, we’ll see who they charge with managing said rebuild."

I guess the top brass finally realized the final straw was when they realized the closest they’d get to a cup was when DeAngelo speared Perry in the balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2