Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Outside of Kimmo ....who are these guys.  I am not familiar with the names.  Could you shed some insight to as why they would be a good fit here?  Many thanks.

I too have been arguing for a complete overhaul here as well.  Lappy simply is not the best person for ANY HOCKEY job.

FIFY!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It was also Chucks father Cliff, Not Chuck, who made that deal. The ONLY reason Chuck is an NHL GM is because of his father. 

I was still in my 20's 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Outside of Kimmo ....who are these guys.  I am not familiar with the names.  Could you shed some insight to as why they would be a good fit here?  Many thanks.

I too have been arguing for a complete overhaul here as well.  Lappy simply is not the best person for this job.

Mark Hunter is owner and VP of the London Knights of the OHL. When he took over the franchise, they were a mess. Perhaps the worst run franchise in the OHL. Hunter overhauled EVERYTHING and they're now one of, if not, the most successful franchise in the OHL. His scouting,  management and coaching staff are probably the best in Canada.

Eric Tulsky is the assistant GM in Carolina. Another guy with a great eye for talent and contact negotiations. He also headed up their analytics department and it's one of the best in the NHL. Doesn't have a hockey background either. He has an organic chemistry background.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well overdue, but it's better late than never. In fact, I am ecstatic.  This bozo *may* have been the worst GM in the entire Flyers history. This needed to be done if the Flyers had any hope to keep the team.

I guess I will give Dannyboy a benefit of the doubt.  We'll see what he has up his sleeve. 

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meh...not NEARLY as much as a Lindy Ruff rehire in Buffalo, followed by the return of Ryan Miller to the crease would have set. :ph34r: 

you are on fire today TFG!!!!!🔥

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, terp said:

We all knew it would end this way when he was hired.

I have to admit, I didn't think it would be as bad as this has been.

I thought, the guy must have learned a few things from his first go around.

Something, something about failure being the best teacher....

Anyway I'm glad he's gone, to everyone else who **** their pants when he was hired, you were correct, not that you wanted to be, but good call on that terrible hire. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I guess the top brass finally realized the final straw was when they realized the closest they’d get to a cup was when DeAngelo speared Perry in the balls.

This is your best post ever.   Well done!  LOL!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I guess I will give Dannyboy a benefit of the doubt.  We'll see what he has up his sleeve. 

A Paul Holmgren tattoo.

I think he is more of the same. WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. Happy to be wrong

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

My understanding from the press release is Danny is running the show until a "permanent" GM and President of Hockey Ops are hired.

I wish they would have done it in time to give Danny B a chance to work some deals sort of a small audition if you will.

I bet he could have moved JVR, Braun and Seeler and if he could have moved Hayes well we'd have to build him a statue beside Doug and Nick.

But anyway maybe he gets to start fresh with the offseason/draft.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

A Paul Holmgren tattoo.

I think he is more of the same. WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. Happy to be wrong

If there aren't more changes, then I believe you are right. But right now, let's just bask in the glory of the fact this team will no longer be all about Hayesee and his buddies, and first and foremost Minnesota.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish they would have done it in time to give Danny B a chance to work some deals sort of a small audition if you will.

I bet he could have moved JVR, Braun and Seeler and if he could have moved Hayes well we'd have to build him a statue beside Doug and Nick.

But anyway maybe he gets to start fresh with the offseason/draft.

I'd bet you or I, or anyone else on here could have moved all of them!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I have to admit, I didn't think it would be as bad as this has been.

I thought, the guy must have learned a few things from his first go around.

Something, something about failure being the best teacher....

Anyway I'm glad he's gone, to everyone else who **** their pants when he was hired, you were correct, not that you wanted to be, but good call on that terrible hire. 

@flyercanuck for sure.  Amusing to note he stopped watching for a couple of years.  There were others and it would be funny to see who was stoked and who was indignant.  

Worth adding, as others have intimated, that Chuck was just the most visible component of a completely dysfunctional organization.  It won’t change unless the Flyers completely clean house, including Scott, who seems to have already been kicked upstairs.  Actually, I blame Scott more than Fletcher.  Chuck being Chuck is his fault.

Edited by terp
  • Like 3