Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

OMG that is too funny - too stupid. Hey I wish it had been Chuck Taylor whoever he is...would've been better than Fletcher.

edit: strange. my post got moved...I was writing about ESPN's coverage...

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

ESPN...STILL the undisputed Worldwide Leader in NOT caring about hockey

Announcing the Flyers firing of Chuck Taylor...:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Never change ESPN.

Wow ....I mean just wow ......  but if it was basketball or soccer they would get it right ........(rolling my eyes in sarcasm font)

Edited by pilldoc

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree 100%...up until I read this...I mean Tortorella wasn't even Fletchers choice.

Very intelligent hockey guy? LMFAO!

Understands the business? Double LMFAO!!!!

Nothing but respect and wish I worked with him longer? Tortsie, all you did was throw him under the bus. Deservedly so, but come on! 

If Tortorella was being honest he would have said This guy was a GM solely because of nepotism, not competence.

https://twitter.com/ReinerOlivia/status/1634629286639353856/photo/1

Tells it like it is, huh?

No, he vomits whatever twisted garbage fires through his narcissistic head.

He's done NOTHING in almost 19 years, folks.  If Briere (or whomever) shows him the door.  I know someone will argue "what did he have?"  I'll save you the trouble:  1) very little  2) not relevant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...I dunno.
You can probably revamp the rest, but the wonky transmission is an inherent design flaw.....

Well this Halibut comment was no doubt a shot at me from the past.  No where can I find this rare visit by Podein that you quoted.  Well at least he did not pick on my old car, the lumina.  Just so you know Podein, if you happen to see this, I now drive a 2022 Equinox.  Yes, still a Chevy, but pissed that no CD player in it.  My 2013 Equinox was totaled by a young 22 year old driver that hammered me on the railroad tracks on her cell phone no doubt.  To hours in the ambulance with my heart rate to the roof.  Both vehicles towed and when I got out never saw the girl again.  The insurance Co took care of me, as we both had the same company and the girl never called this in to her agent!  I had to put much money down on the brand new vehicle, as you likely have the same problem down there, very limited supply on the lots these days. I do not buy HALIBUT these days as it cost more than Lobster.  Go see for yourself.  Two steaks are $20.  Small ones.  I saw a guy that had come back from Alaska at an airport, Newark I believe, and he had paid a handsome fee to have a halibut he caught himself in Alaska transported back.  Not sure if it was to sell or eat or both?  Good stuff, but its a mild fish and very pricey. Its a big fish that can actually kill you if not handled correctly.  Sorry to ambush you TFG.  But  I can find Podein post anywhere. 

The reporting out now about Briere's comments about "not a fire sale" and having to have a call with the senior advisors within 48 hours of taking the job is not a great start.  Says he studied with Paul Holmgren.  Hope it was a "here's what not to do" thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Tells it like it is, huh?

No, he vomits whatever twisted garbage fires through his narcissistic head.

He's done NOTHING in almost 19 years, folks.  If Briere (or whomever) shows him the door.  I know someone will argue "what did he have?"  I'll save you the trouble:  1) very little  2) not relevant.

Will they say adios to Tortorella or keep the stale blood in the system?

To be completely fair to Torts; he's the only one who has had a clue since his hiring and has not been implicit in his stance that this team needs an overhaul. His hire was still completely asinine based on the fact that this team needed to rebuild this season.  

With that being said .....Is he the right shepherd to shepherd this team through the upcoming dark times? Wouldn't completely swiping the board clean and bringing in a new face with a new vision be more beneficial to the longterm success of the team?

I don't know who would be available if the Flyers should part ways with Torts.

At the very least he helped bring down Fletch and as others have alluded to ...for that I will be extremely grateful.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

ESPN...STILL the undisputed Worldwide Leader in NOT caring about hockey

Announcing the Flyers firing of Chuck Taylor...:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Never change ESPN.

I’m just upset that none of us on here thought to mess with Chuck’s last name! We took the easy route and always did a play on his first name. ESPN got the ultimate dig in by  calling him by a different last name!! Lol

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I’m just upset that none of us on here thought to mess with Chuck’s last name! We took the easy route and always did a play on his first name. ESPN got the ultimate dig in by  calling him by a different last name!! Lol

Well in fairness the best ones were already taken by Wild fans...Clusterchuck, UpChuck though I was very tempted to change my username to GoChuckYourselfChuck.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

To be completely fair to Torts; he's the only one who has had a clue since his hiring and has not been implicit in his stance that this team needs

So as equally qualified as 70% of this board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well in fairness the best ones were already taken by Wild fans...Clusterchuck, UpChuck though I was very tempted to change my username to GoChuckYourselfChuck.

I imagined Fletcher sitting at home watching the game on ABC/ESPN and seeing Flyers fire GM Chuck Taylor scroll across the bottom of the screen. :lol:

The cherry on top of his entire failed tenure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I imagined Fletcher sitting at home watching the game on ABC/ESPN and seeing Flyers fire GM Chuck Taylor scroll across the bottom of the screen. :lol:

Now that would be truly funny!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35842502/interim-gm-daniel-briere-says-flyers-quick-fix

Philadelphia Flyers interim general manager Daniel Briere acknowledged the team needs a multiyear rebuild as he campaigns to earn the job on a permanent basis.

"I don't have a problem with the interim tag. I think [ownership is] going to take the proper time to evaluate who should be full-time in that position. I see myself staying here and being part of the future. I hope they believe in me as well. It feels that way," he said.

"There's no doubt in my mind that this isn't a quick fix. It's going to take a little while," said Briere.

Briere was noncommittal when asked about how the team's senior advisers fit into his vision for the Flyers. Former NHL general managers Paul Holmgren, Bobby Clarke and Dean Lombardi, as well as former coach Bill Barber, have come under scrutiny for how much influence they have behind the scenes with Flyers ownership.

"I have a lot of respect for those guys for what they've accomplished in their career both on and off the ice," Briere said. "I've been in this position for 48 hours. I've had a quick chat with them. But at this point, that's all that's happened. So we'll see moving forward happens there."

Briere also said he studied the general managers for whom he played, including Holmgren, Buffalo's Darcy Regier and Colorado's Joe Sakic.

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree 100%...up until I read this...I mean Tortorella wasn't even Fletchers choice.

Very intelligent hockey guy? LMFAO!

Understands the business? Double LMFAO!!!!

Nothing but respect and wish I worked with him longer? Tortsie, all you did was throw him under the bus. Deservedly so, but come on! 

If Tortorella was being honest he would have said This guy was a GM solely because of nepotism, not competence.

https://twitter.com/ReinerOlivia/status/1634629286639353856/photo/1

Oh come on man, that's not an honesty issue, that's just a don't speak ill of the dead kind of thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Pretty sure chuk-fuk saw this and thought he was still GM of the Flyers

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Ya, I laughed when I saw that.

Hopefully one day in the future we will all have trouble remembering his name.

8 hours ago, pilldoc said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35842502/interim-gm-daniel-briere-says-flyers-quick-fix

Philadelphia Flyers interim general manager Daniel Briere acknowledged the team needs a multiyear rebuild as he campaigns to earn the job on a permanent basis.

"I don't have a problem with the interim tag. I think [ownership is] going to take the proper time to evaluate who should be full-time in that position. I see myself staying here and being part of the future. I hope they believe in me as well. It feels that way," he said.

"There's no doubt in my mind that this isn't a quick fix. It's going to take a little while," said Briere.

Briere was noncommittal when asked about how the team's senior advisers fit into his vision for the Flyers. Former NHL general managers Paul Holmgren, Bobby Clarke and Dean Lombardi, as well as former coach Bill Barber, have come under scrutiny for how much influence they have behind the scenes with Flyers ownership.

"I have a lot of respect for those guys for what they've accomplished in their career both on and off the ice," Briere said. "I've been in this position for 48 hours. I've had a quick chat with them. But at this point, that's all that's happened. So we'll see moving forward happens there."

Briere also said he studied the general managers for whom he played, including Holmgren, Buffalo's Darcy Regier and Colorado's Joe Sakic.

Well at least Briere has no problem saying the "R" word-- rebuild! Now we'll see if he is allowed to do that without any interference from the choir boys! It's nice to see Fletcher gone!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Was this posted? 

7QcZ-HME_normal.png

Comcast Spectacor has announced that chairman and Flyers governor Dave Scott is retiring. Dan Hilferty, recently named CEO of Comcast Spectacor, will take over as chairman of the company on April 17 and as governor of the team on July 1.

This is good, right? I mean this Hilferty guy actually cares about the Flyers doesn't he?