Insider Says Unsigned Auston Matthews To Be Traded This Summer

pilldoc

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Came across this beauty of an article .....

https://thehockeywriters.com/unsigned-matthews-maple-leafs-trade-candidate-this-summer/

Could Matthews be traded during the summer?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this ......

They should be able to sign him.  Just offer him a prorated salary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I read some of this article, because I am currently a bit bored :shifty: ...and a snippet I loved?

After saying Matthews may be traded, it goes on to say, "This may anger Toronto fans who are tired of the narrative that Matthews may leave at the first opportunity."
Ohhhh, where to start with that! :rolleyes: 

So...the Leaves® fanbase, the SAME fanbase who taunted TB fans about Stamkos 'leaving for Toronto' when Stammer went unsigned for quite a bit before settling on a deal with the Bolts....that same fanbase is 'tired of the narrative of Matthews leaving'? Rich. Rich I tell you.

They can dish it out but can't take it? Eh, EH??

It's ok to speculate about poaching every other team's top players, especially if they have roots to the province of Ontario, but it is 'tiring' to hear that perhaps Matthews may WANT to go home to Arizona (oooo, man, Leaves® fans are boiling at me now!) instead of stay with a perennial one n done team?
Outstanding.

I hope news about Matthews leaving ramps up.
I hope it's all over NHL Central at Noon during the week.
Lawd knows they cover everything Leaves® players do on an hourly basis, from what the players eat, to when they take a dump, to when they have their hangnails trimmed before gametime.

I mean, they actually acted like they gave a crap about Tyler Freakin Ennis once he got traded to Toronto!

So yea...bring on the 'Matthews is leaving Toronto' rumors!
Full on....pro rated...discounted....combo meal special...I don't care.
Leaves® fans can sweat it, sit there and defend it, change their soiled underoos from the anticipation of possibly losing their big star.....yea, this should make for GREAT NHL news tv!

And then, when Matthews DOES sign an insane post 25 yr old deal to stay and cripple...errr, 'try to win' a Cup with no money left for a supporting cast (anyone else notice the crazy amount of in-their-prime UFA's the team has??), then Leaves® fans can relax, start thumping their prorated, projected chests once again, and just be themselves.

Should be a fun off season!  :) 

• Like 3

Just now, Icechipper said:

That should divert attention from the Leaf cup drought....

Oh can you imagine the rioting and bringing forth of pitchforks if said story came to fruition ......

Angry Protest GIF by Minions

Just now, bbgarnett said:

at some point were going to be talking about getting out of the first round drought.

What drought??
The Leaves® have NO drought!

Drought.
You want to talk about droughts, talk about deserts in the Summer.
Toronto doesn't know the meaning of 'Drought'....many other meanings escape the Toronto franchise, but that is for another thread :shifty: 

Pfffft...drought...

Stay on topic please and talk about what Toronto fans REALLY want to talk about: "When is Matthews LEAVING®?" :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I read some of this article, because I am currently a bit bored :shifty: ...and a snippet I loved?

After saying Matthews may be traded, it goes on to say, "This may anger Toronto fans who are tired of the narrative that Matthews may leave at the first opportunity."
Ohhhh, where to start with that! :rolleyes: 

So...the Leaves® fanbase, the SAME fanbase who taunted TB fans about Stamkos 'leaving for Toronto' when Stammer went unsigned for quite a bit before settling on a deal with the Bolts....that same fanbase is 'tired of the narrative of Matthews leaving'? Rich. Rich I tell you

The market and the fanbase constantly do this, and have for many years.

Toronto cannot afford him, simple as that. Too many big contracts. He goes or Wee Willie or Tavares. Yes, the cap is going up but unless they plan on dealing one of the big boys. Their window is now, and starting to close. They had a brilliant deadline, the team really had no holes but now they have strengths everywehre,

So Matthews if he is dealt will be able to command a kings ransom, Toronto will still have a ton of front line talent and imho would be still right there with flexibility. If he is definitely leaving, you have to find a home for him and get everything you can out of him. I think a front line player, two prospects and two firsts is a reasonable ask, it would have to be mutually beneficial, it would have to be someone that matthews would want to play long term for and willing to sign for eight years. Honestl,y dont laugh but Arizona has the pieces to make a serious offer, Keller, a couple of solid prospects from a very deep pipeline and two of their hoarded firsts might bring him home. Doubt it but if they traded for Matthews and won the lottery for Bedard the Coyotes might actually be able to fill whatever middle school gym they are currently playing in.

Nah, not arizona. Lets get real.

It would have to be a West coast team, The Kings have the pieces. The Ducks could offer Zegras and Gibson. 

The point is yes, it is a very real possibility that Matthews is moved out but dont feel sorry for the Leafs, they are going to reload with the assets they get for him and will be as always among the better teams in the division with or without him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

It would have to be a West coast team

I dunno, there's an organization* with a desperate streak and an itchy trigger finger looking for a superstar...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, radoran said:

I dunno, there's an organization* with a desperate streak and an itchy trigger finger looking for a superstar...

If we only knew who you were talking about so secretive you are....

:BrownBag:

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe Fletcher could replace Dubas and help them with their rebuild...

We need Fletcher to resurface somewhere so we can dump all his rubbish right back on him for a plethora of draft capital!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We need Fletcher to resurface somewhere so we can dump all his rubbish right back on him for a plethora of draft capital!

I was listening on the radio fans want Ron Hextall gone out of Pittsburgh so maybe we can give Chuckles a good referral review for them couldn't happen to a better club.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, radoran said:

There is blood in the water now...

...just saying.

FORE!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

...and this is why the salary cap has to go...

The OWNERS are the ones who insisted upon the salary cap and MLSE was among the ones leading the charge.

It's making decisions like Tavares that has them where they are, not the lack of a salary cap to give them a "you screwed up free" card.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, radoran said:

The OWNERS are the ones who insisted upon the salary cap and MLSE was among the ones leading the charge.

It's making decisions like Tavares that has them where they are, not the lack of a salary cap to give them a "you screwed up free" card.

Yeah that's why I say the salary cap should be abolished...what's the point of having all these dumb salary rules just manage your team like any other business and if you go bankrupt you go bankrupt...