Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

Ok it is that time again to start discussing the annual ritual known as the NHL Entry Level Draft.

"IF" and a BIG "IF" ......if the Flyers were to miraculously win either of the top 2 spots the no brainer picks would be Bedard / Fantilli.   As of now, the Flyers are #7 overall.

image.png.292822c0a9f783170b13735fc438b07b.png

image.png.bdd4894979ac7cbc6972bfdbec60a812.png

Feel free to discuss

Unfortunately ...unlike other organizations who recognized how deep this draft is, the Flyers only have one (#1) pick in first two rounds ..... (thanks Fletch ....sarcasm font).

image.thumb.png.6ff904696bda6408cbdfba9fb598a5f9.png

"IF" Briere is to be the GM ...he HAS TO nail this 1st RD pick ....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Leo Carlsson
2022-23 Team: Örebro HK (SHL)
Ht: 6-foot-3 Wt: 194 pounds
Shoots: L Position: C/W

https://thehockeywriters.com/leo-carlsson-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Carlsson is a very strong and talented playmaker that shows excellent poise and confidence when he has control of the puck. From his puck handling, to constantly finding the open spaces, everything he does is effortless. A natural centre, he has seen time on the wing, but no matter what position he plays, he remains extremely effective as he lets his skillset and high-end IQ take over any situation. He’s extremely calm as he shows no panic in high pressure situations as his awareness and smarts allows him to be a threat in all three zones to find the open space and attack. Even at the 2023 World Juniors Championship, he was given every opportunity to succeed in a top line role and he certainly made an impact with six points in seven games. 

Carlsson’s greatest asset is his high smarts and situational awareness as he processes the game extremely well at a fast pace. Whether he has the puck or not, he’s always in the right place at the right time to create a play or potentially finishing one off. To always be in those spots and constantly read the play effectively is very impressive at his age. He has an intense compete level and work ethic while also showing great strength in battles along the boards or when chasing down loose pucks. When he has the puck, he utilizes his size extremely well to get the inside edge on opposing players, drive to the middle of the ice and to create space for his teammates by drawing in players and making a crisp pass for his teammates.

Many scouts believe he’s the true No. 2 prospect in the class, due to the way he uses his 6-foot-3 frame to his advantage. He plays with the mobility and speed of a much smaller forward, but comes with an intimidating package. There isn’t a draft-eligible SHLer in the same production hemisphere as Carlsson this year. Indeed, his production is among the best ever seen from an NHL Draft prospect, in what is considered to be one of the deepest leagues in Europe. Carlsson is going to be a stud.

In any other year, Carlsson could be battling for the first overall spot given his overall potential and elite level skillset. But there is no doubt that in this year’s class, he definitely has been running away and cementing himself as a top-three prospect and potentially a game changing player. Most scouting outlets have him at that spot and rightfully so, while others have him just inside or outside the top-5. He’s definitely worth a top-5 selection, but given his upside, how can you not take him as the next centre behind Bedard and Fantilli? 

Will Smith
2022-23 Team: USA U18 (NTDP)
Height: 6-feet, Weight: 172 pounds
Shoots: Right Position: C

https://thehockeywriters.com/will-smith-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Will Smith is a dynamic offensive player who is centering the NTDP’s top line this year and is very creative offensively while being reliable defensively. This year’s U18 team in the NTDP is a bit more sparse when it comes to top-notch draft prospects, with Smith being one of just four prospects who are generally considered to be first-round level talents. Smith is an above average skater, especially when it comes to maneuverability, which gives him an advantage in all three zones. He’s agile enough to quickly switch coverage on defense and usually fast enough to separate himself from defenders on the rush at the junior level.

The ability to make tough plays under pressure at high speeds is often referred to as “pace”, and it is one of the biggest indicators that a player will find ways to succeed in the NHL someday against the fastest and smartest competition in the world. No matter what you call it, Smith has it. In fact, he thinks so quickly that he’s often making plays in an effort to predict what defenses will do next which can sometimes be as dangerous as it is exciting. 

Producing points is not a problem for Smith as he’s currently on pace to score right around two points per game for the U18 NTDP squad, a nearly unheard of scoring pace. He’s right up around that same pace in the handful of USHL games as well, and I expect him to be a real point producer as a freshman with Boston College next season, in part because of the chemistry he has developed with his line mates Gabriel Perreault and Ryan Leonard who are also going to be freshman at Boston College next year.

Smith is almost certainly going to be a top-10 pick on draft day, with a good chance at ending up in the top-six or so. He’s clearly not in the top tier of the draft class with guys like Connor Bedard and Adam Fantilli, but there’s no doubt he’s near the very top of that next group. Although Smith is still the favorite to be the first American player off the board, his NTDP teammate Oliver Moore has been really making a name for himself this year and has a chance to leapfrog Smith on draft day.

One of the most dynamic forwards in the class, Smith is smart on the ice, an excellent playmaker who doesn’t miss on many high-danger scoring opportunities. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

But how long does Putin have the rest of the world despising Russia? Can/will Michkov come over? 

That is a HUGE question .... I get the trepidation clubs would have.  Talent wise Michkov would be the best coming out of Russia since Ovie.  However, doesn't he have a contract obligation until 2026? I know I read somewhere it was not long ago that some wondered if Michkov could be a legitimate challenger to Bedard for the No. 1 spot.

"IF" Michkov would be on the board when the Flyers are on the clock ....are you ok with the Flyers drafting him?

• Like 1

If the Flyers pick 5 or 6 and Michkov is still there, the GM whomever they are should be fired if they don't pick him.

Fired.

Carlson won't be there, Fantilli won't be there. 

Michkov is worth the risk IMO.

It's not like the team is going anywhere next year either. 

But bring a kid with those abilities into a stable hard work environment?

His arrival in 24/25 could be like Cale Makar rocket fuel to a team on the rise.

FTR I chose Michkov and Carlsson as my two guys to pick.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

That is a HUGE question .... I get the trepidation clubs would have.  Talent wise Michkov would be the best coming out of Russia since Ovie.  However, doesn't he have a contract obligation until 2026? I know I read somewhere it was not long ago that some wondered if Michkov could be a legitimate challenger to Bedard for the No. 1 spot.

"IF" Michkov would be on the board when the Flyers are on the clock ....are you ok with the Flyers drafting him?

Depends where we pick. If he falls to 6-7 and we're there, I'd take a shot. I'd prefer to speak to his agent if possible, first, before I go throwing that pick away for someone with no plans to come. 

If we pick 2nd or 3rd, pass. 

edit: apparently mojo has this covered...hadn't read that far yet. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Michkov is easily a pick after Bedard talent -wise.  But how long does Putin have the rest of the world despising Russia? Can/will Michkov come over? 

I have despised Russia since September 1972. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, mojo1917 said:

If the Flyers pick 5 or 6 and Michkov is still there, the GM whomever they are should be fired if they don't pick him.

Fired.

Carlson won't be there, Fantilli won't be there. 

Michkov is worth the risk IMO.

It's not like the team is going anywhere next year either. 

But bring a kid with those abilities into a stable hard work environment?

His arrival in 24/25 could be like Cale Makar rocket fuel to a team on the rise.

FTR I chose Michkov and Carlsson as my two guys to pick.

No where to go but up!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

HHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Still has a couple of games to go too. Even more amazing is his next closest teammate to him in scoring is 53 points behind him. He's on a really bad team that he's made respectable.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:48 AM, OccamsRazor said:

No where to go but up!!!!

Not sure I had it that high but ok. lol. 

Funny how the entire world could see how lousy these guys are at their job yet their bosses needed a fan revolt before they'd fire them.

What a joke of an organization. Hopefully more changes are coming.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

All i can tell you is i don't think i could survive a F rated club then if this is just a D!!!!!

Dear lord...

You're not going to go all in on all of the D's right next to each other up there?

Sounds like something you'd watch...

:hocky:

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

All i can tell you is i don't think i could survive a F rated club then if this is just a D!!!!!

Dear lord...

It's not....it's an F. How could you possibly be worse than Fletcher at everything. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, flyercanuck said:

Michkov is easily a pick after Bedard talent -wise.  But how long does Putin have the rest of the world despising Russia? Can/will Michkov come over? 

With our luck he will get blown up with a Ukrainian rocket paid for with our tax dollars right after we draft him.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:33 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think there is a good chance Flyers can get to the 5th pick.

It they blow the team up a 5th overall or better pick could go a long ways to turning it around quicker...we'll see.

They will continue to f*&# this up, and turn the 5th pick into the 9th pick. Its the Flyer way.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, pilldoc said:

Leo Carlsson
2022-23 Team: Örebro HK (SHL)
Ht: 6-foot-3 Wt: 194 pounds
Shoots: L Position: C/W

https://thehockeywriters.com/leo-carlsson-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Carlsson is a very strong and talented playmaker that shows excellent poise and confidence when he has control of the puck. From his puck handling, to constantly finding the open spaces, everything he does is effortless. A natural centre, he has seen time on the wing, but no matter what position he plays, he remains extremely effective as he lets his skillset and high-end IQ take over any situation. He’s extremely calm as he shows no panic in high pressure situations as his awareness and smarts allows him to be a threat in all three zones to find the open space and attack. Even at the 2023 World Juniors Championship, he was given every opportunity to succeed in a top line role and he certainly made an impact with six points in seven games. 

Carlsson’s greatest asset is his high smarts and situational awareness as he processes the game extremely well at a fast pace. Whether he has the puck or not, he’s always in the right place at the right time to create a play or potentially finishing one off. To always be in those spots and constantly read the play effectively is very impressive at his age. He has an intense compete level and work ethic while also showing great strength in battles along the boards or when chasing down loose pucks. When he has the puck, he utilizes his size extremely well to get the inside edge on opposing players, drive to the middle of the ice and to create space for his teammates by drawing in players and making a crisp pass for his teammates.

Many scouts believe he’s the true No. 2 prospect in the class, due to the way he uses his 6-foot-3 frame to his advantage. He plays with the mobility and speed of a much smaller forward, but comes with an intimidating package. There isn’t a draft-eligible SHLer in the same production hemisphere as Carlsson this year. Indeed, his production is among the best ever seen from an NHL Draft prospect, in what is considered to be one of the deepest leagues in Europe. Carlsson is going to be a stud.

In any other year, Carlsson could be battling for the first overall spot given his overall potential and elite level skillset. But there is no doubt that in this year’s class, he definitely has been running away and cementing himself as a top-three prospect and potentially a game changing player. Most scouting outlets have him at that spot and rightfully so, while others have him just inside or outside the top-5. He’s definitely worth a top-5 selection, but given his upside, how can you not take him as the next centre behind Bedard and Fantilli? 

Carlsson would be a great pick, we have zero first or second line LW prospects in our system. All we really have is Farabee, who at this point is not a legit  top line guy. We do have Gauthier but he's being converted to C, Cates is also a LW playing C, but Cates is a third line talent. We also are thin at C, so we need C and LW. I just hope we get lucky and get someone great. 

• Like 1

For all you wanting Michkov.

No F'n way, wait till the 2027 season then hope he come over.

Nope, no  way.

Last year, he signed a contract extension with SKA St. Petersburg that will keep him in the Eastern Hemisphere through the 2025-26 season.

19 minutes ago, Fizz said:

For all you wanting Michkov.

No F'n way, wait till the 2027 season then hope he come over.

Nope, no  way.

Last year, he signed a contract extension with SKA St. Petersburg that will keep him in the Eastern Hemisphere through the 2025-26 season.

I was thinking similar. Glad to see someone else posted it.

There is no way I draft him.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I was thinking similar. Glad to see someone else posted it.

There is no way I draft him.

On top of the fact Russians never favor well in Philly...trade back if he is on the board or take anyone else.

• Like 1