Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

There is no way I don't. 

What's the team going to do next year?

People say he's the best prospect since Ovechkin. If he's there and teams pass they deserve to suck. 

Picking some high character stiff @ #5  has done wonders for the Flyers talent pool. Yeah?

Keep Anisomov around as a coach/ player development guy, JIC.

Give Zamula another guy to speak Sputnik with. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flyer's 2023 1st round pick: Oliver Moore!!!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/603195/oliver-moore

Why him?

Well Flahr is still a hold over from Chuckles and well Moore is from Minnesota and headed to Minnesota to play and is a center.

So there you go!!!

My 2 cents on it. That is unless they continue to screw the draft spot up...

Edited by OccamsRazor

On 3/19/2023 at 10:53 PM, mojo1917 said:

Picking some high character stiff @ #5  has done wonders for the Flyers talent pool. Yeah?

Agree, but still better than picking a Russian with a high probably of seeing military duty before playing hockey outside of Russia. No way I risk a pick there.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, Fizz said:

For all you wanting Michkov.

No F'n way, wait till the 2027 season then hope he come over.

Nope, no  way.

Last year, he signed a contract extension with SKA St. Petersburg that will keep him in the Eastern Hemisphere through the 2025-26 season.

Unless we win the lottery whoever we select likely won't be on the Flyers until at least this time either. So that part of it really shouldn't factor into the choice.

• Like 1

So where will the Flyers ultimately finish?

Remaining Schedule: Dallas / NYI / Boston / Columbus / Chicago ..... looking at 2-3 here IMO

Where will they ultimate fall in final standings?

Right now, the Flyers are seventh from the bottom in the NHL standings with 71 points, behind all of Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, San Jose, Montreal and Arizona and just ahead of Vancouver, Washington, St. Louis and Detroit.

That’s 11 possible spots. Which ones can we rule out?

For starters, it’s impossible for the Flyers to end up in the bottom four, so that dream is over. The Sharks, who are fourth from the bottom with 59 points, have six games remaining and at best could finish with 71 points if they win all six. That would tie them with the Flyers if the Flyers lost out. However, the Flyers would still hold the tiebreaker by regulation wins even in that scenario, so the Flyers can’t fall lower than fifth worst at this point.

It’s not logistically impossible for the Flyers to catch one (or more) of Washington, St. Louis and Detroit, all of whom have 77 points, six ahead of the Flyers. But it’s highly unlikely. Picking up six points on any team in six games is difficult at any time, and given that the Flyers have matchups against Dallas, the Islanders and Boston, it’s tough to imagine them nabbing more than eight out of 12 possible points the rest of the way. That means that these three clubs would just need three points each to stay ahead of the Flyers, which seems close to a certainty. Let’s rule out ninth through 11th as well.

So we’re really talking about a fairly narrow range. The Flyers could still end up 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th. To jump to the eighth-worst record, they would have to pass the Canucks, who have 75 points. To fall to fifth or sixth, they’d have to be passed by the Coyotes (67) points and/or the Canadiens (66 points).

However, looking at the teams they are competing with and the remaining schedule for each of those teams, So unless the unexpected happens, seventh-worst in the standings is looking like the probable finishing spot for the Flyers. Fifth, sixth and eighth aren’t out of the realm of possibility, but none should be viewed as likely. The Flyers may very well already be locked into their final lottery odds at #7.

image.png.d5e59396aa07137987779c17c1f6360b.png

First, it’s important to recognize that whether the Flyers finish fifth-worst, eighth-worst, or anywhere in between, it’s not going to have a significant impact on their chances of winning the first or second pick in the lottery. We’re really talking about a single-digit percentage point range here that doesn’t even crack five percentage points. Nothing at this point is going to move the needle dramatically.

image.png.0242d473ef6ec3c406508c0fa687d6a8.png

Why is this important ..... Unless the Flyers win lottery and can pick either Bedard / Fantilli, mot of the other top players will be out of play unless something screwy happens.

image.png.558b8b4d94ab8d62f0e8924f8ae7fce5.png

Bedard and Adam Fantilli, unsurprisingly, are in separate tiers of their own. Barring some sort of last-minute news or dramatic deviation from consensus, Bedard will go No. 1 and Fantilli No. 2. The two lottery winners are getting those guys.

Tier 3 is a two-player tier of Matvei Michkov and Leo Carlsson. The Flyers have no chance of getting into this tier via the lottery or their on-ice results at this point; their only hope to nab one of these two is if Michkov slips due to outside concerns regarding his timeframe (and potential complications) for a move to North America. But on merit, they’re the clear Tier 3, and the Flyers won’t be picking in that range.

Tiers 4 and 5 are where things get interesting. It’s another two-player tier, but this time at picks 5 and 6. Zach Benson and Will Smith headline this tier. And then, there’s Tier 5, a three-player tier consisting of Oliver Moore, Ryan Leonard and Dalibor Dvorský.

If the Flyers were to finish and pick fifth or sixth, they’d be right in line to nab one of Smith or Benson in Tier 4. Finishing seventh-worst, however, would drop them into Tier 5.

There are differing opinions, of course — Pronman, for example, has Benson way down at No. 12 while EliteProspects ranks Moore at 6. But on the whole, there’s a measurable drop-off in current industry consensus between Tiers 4 and 5.

It may be unlikely. But there’s still a slight chance the Flyers could play their way into the Benson/Smith tier — or even, if the hockey gods smile upon them, jump up for Bedard or Fantilli. In the 5 games remaining, it will be clear where they’ll stand entering May 8.

Info courtesy of Charlie O'Connor from the Athletic.

Projecting the Flyers’ lottery odds and what it could mean for 2023 NHL Draft - The Athletic

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Agree, but still better than picking a Russian with a high probably of seeing military duty before playing hockey outside of Russia. No way I risk a pick there.

If the Flyers or whoever picks him can somehow smuggle him out of Russia like they did in the old days, with Mogilny and Federov then it would be a good idea. They should put John J Rambo on standby for a rescue mission. Maybe there's some sort of international tournament  in another country that they can sneak him out.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

If the Flyers or whoever picks him can somehow smuggle him out of Russia like they did in the old days, with Mogilny and Federov then it would be a good idea. They should put John J Rambo on standby for a rescue mission. Maybe there's some sort of international tournament  in another country that they can sneak him out.

Yes!  And @mojo1917, without the current geopolitical situation, I'm completely on board with your opinion on him.   I'm nervous about the situation but with some guarantees (Russia, not player--but that would be nice!) or a change in the situation, sign me up.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Well, there would definitely have to be some contact with the player, his agent and ....I reckon what's left of his family.

While I cannot totally fault Chuck Fletcher for the Fetitov (goalie) situation, I can say that when the Mitchkov ELC is signed that needs to happen on American soil.

The player is a difference maker already, hopefully if he's the pick, it works out. 

If he's there at 7?

I don't see where any of the guys that project to still be around sniff his potential.

My hope is Daniel can get another 1st rounder this year (for "someone" in a hockey trade) so a risk like picking Mitchkov can be mitigated a little. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

And then, there’s Tier 5, a three-player tier consisting of Oliver Moore, Ryan Leonard and Dalibor Dvorský.

As i said a few posts back only one of those is from Minnesota....and Flahr is still running the show.

Apparently we're picking up the 19th pick in the 2nd round. Moving a 19th overall 1st rounder to 19th in the 2nd...it's like Fletcher gets one last transaction! Glad to have a 2nd though.

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the team will forego signing former 2018 first-round pick Jay O'Brien, making him an unrestricted free agent, and the team will be receiving a second-round pick at the draft in a couple months.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Apparently we're picking up the 19th pick in the 2nd round. Moving a 19th overall 1st rounder to 19th in the 2nd...it's like Fletcher gets one last transaction! Glad to have a 2nd though.

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, the team will forego signing former 2018 first-round pick Jay O'Brien, making him an unrestricted free agent, and the team will be receiving a second-round pick at the draft in a couple months.

I wonder if we will hear anything on them signing Bryce Brodzinski since the Frozen Four is over now??

Seems they still could use more depth in the bottom of the line up. Guess we wait and see.

Also Gavin Hain is due a contract too if they plan on signing him too. But i guess they have till August 15th to decide on them.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What would you do?

If he drops you pretty much have to take him I think. Like I've said before, I'd contact his agent and ask if he's committed to playing in the NHL once he's done his contract. The K doesn't pay anywhere near what the NHL does.

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If he drops you pretty much have to take him I think. Like I've said before, I'd contact his agent and ask if he's committed to playing in the NHL once he's done his contract. The K doesn't pay anywhere near what the NHL does.

He is under contract till 26-27 I trade back before I take him. Small too. Nope.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Whoever we pick 7th probably isn't going to be playing til then anyway.

Yeah but we don't have time to waste on any possible M142 HIMAR fodder.

They need that guy to produce when ready.

Pass on the Ruskie.

Edited by OccamsRazor
our luck he loved Vodka too much

And …. With the Flyers OT victory over the Blue Jackets the Flyers have sealed their fate at picking #7 unless someone pulls out a lucky charm to win the lottery…..

• Uggh... 1

14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

And …. With the Flyers OT victory over the Blue Jackets the Flyers have sealed their fate at picking #7 unless someone pulls out a lucky charm to win the lottery…..

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, flyercanuck said:

Whoever we pick 7th probably isn't going to be playing til then anyway.

Tank job: Anaheim lost its last 13 games to finish with the NHL’s worst record.

:CelebratingSmiley2:

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Tank job: Anaheim lost its last 13 games to finish with the NHL’s worst record.

:CelebratingSmiley2:

So, we have a test case for "does tanking work"?

The Flyers didn't. The Ducks did. Where are they both in three years?

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

So, we have a test case for "does tanking work"?

Yes we do.

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

Where are they both in three years?

I wonder. Who's your money on being better???

For my own sanity i have to go with the Flyers...

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who's your money on being better???

For my own sanity i have to go with the Flyers...

If I felt I could predict what would happen in the future, I would have a lot more money.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool: