Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

10 hours ago, radoran said:

Hayes has a M-NTC so that's a problem. The deal has to be somewhere he wants to go...

Depends on if you think this team is "rebuilt" in the next 3-5 years. Moving Hart in this situation has nothing at all to do with who else is in the system.

You don't win without a superstar and you don't get a superstar by drafting in the mid to low end of the draft.

Successful teams these days generally have multiple, home grown, high picks.

You either take the time - like the Devils - to gather those picks or you go the Rangers route which would be having a good young core (as the Flyers with York, Konecny, Farabee, etc.) to add a Panarin-type (Matthews) to and be ready to compete in the next 2-3 seasons.

Is the comparison apples to apples? No. One is projecting that some of the younger talent in the A/bubble (Foerster, Brink, Allison...) will be 20/50 type players and you are adding a superstar to complement them.

The Flyers aren't competing against themselves - they are competing against other teams with better, younger players. That was their failure during the VeeGees years - their "stars" simply weren't as good as other teams' stars. By a long shot.

Farabee and Konecny may be 25-30 goal players, but that's not on the same level of other teams' top scorers.

The reason to be targeting a Matthews rightnow is that he actually could be available. Tronno is talking about needing to move someone. That's an opportunity that should at the very least be explored.

It could be that now is not the time to make that move. It just happens that the opportunity may be there.

A "rebuild" that's back to the "make the playoffs and anything can happen" phillyosophy simply isn't going to work, because it never has.

Can't stand Matthews. If they go for him as a new cornerstone I might have to find a new team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Can't stand Matthews. If they go for him as a new cornerstone I might have to find a new team. 

That goes with Hayes, Deangelo, Risto, Atkinson....most of the players Fletcher brought in I can't stand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Nothing will happen until they find out who/what they get in the draft anyway.

Some news coming from the french side through François Gagnon (RDS) who was speaking with Brière in the annual GM vacation meeting in Florida.

- Tortorella is the guy because he's the one who will bring back (or reinforce) the Flyers' identity.
- Brière has a clear and defined plan, he started from scratch and built a whole and successful development program from A to Z in Maine. He will try to replicate that in Philly.
- About Hart: tough season and numbers but he's upgrading and he's going on the right direction for the future. The way it sounded, IMO Brière doesn't want to shop him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

that would be the last straw? seriously?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Math said:

IMO Brière doesn't want to shop him. 

I don't think Hart gets "shopped" but he could get "offered" in the right circumstances.

They're not trying to ditch Hart. They don't need to get rid of him. He's not "a problem."

He's just a very valuable piece that could land another valuable piece or pieces.

Nothing is going to happen until they find out what the draft brings and whether Briere gets the "interim" taken off (I mean, seriously, of course they are going to do that).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoachX said:

that would be the last straw? seriously?

Don't give me a guy who scores .62 goals per game. I'm used to "legendary" players who score .28 goals per game.

And, I mean, why get a guy who has scored 30+ in each of seven seasons he's been in the league when you have had "legendary" performers who scored 25+ five times in 14 years (and hit 30, once! no, really!)?

Despite appearances to the contrary, I'm not a huge Auston Matthews fan but the guy has hockey talent for miles past what we've seen in Philadelphia in the 21st Century.

I'm not sure Flyers fans really remember what it means to have that sort of a performer on your squad.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Don't give me a guy who scores .62 goals per game. I'm used to "legendary" players who score .28 goals per game.

And, I mean, why get a guy who has scored 30+ in each of seven seasons he's been in the league when you have had "legendary" performers who scored 25+ five times in 14 years (and hit 30, once! no, really!)?

Despite appearances to the contrary, I'm not a huge Auston Matthews fan but the guy has hockey talent for miles past what we've seen in Philadelphia in the 21st Century.

I'm not sure Flyers fans really remember what it means to have that sort of a performer on your squad.

We are kinda of past the point, as fans, where we should put character above talent. Don't we have enough Scott Laughton's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

Don't we have enough Scott Laughton's?

Guys who have been part of a losing organization for their entire careers, have been on the roster while the whole of team culture has degraded to the point that no one recognizes it any more, who "want to be here," and are now seen as fundamental building blocks for the future?

Good times.

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

if there is a 40 goal guy who is total dick, and the Flyers can get him, DO IT!

Hey Nick Seeler got Connor Bedard's attention!!!

He gonna look good in Orange and Black!

On 3/14/2023 at 8:46 AM, OccamsRazor said:

This move would require an very good offer that moves the needle for me to even consider.

My thoughts exactly, it would have to be an offer that blows Briere's mind not to consider it. As Flyerscanuck pointed out in another post, goalie trades don't usually generate big returns. So in order for Hart to be traded it would have to be a blockbuster deal like Toronto pulled off with Calgary a long time ago where lots of players were traded. Build from the goalie out and Hart is a good starting point for the rebuild.

• Like 1

@CoachX @radoran @GrittyForever

I'm curious what is viewed as a character problem with Matthews?

I don't know the "scuttlebutt", can you fill me in?

I understand he's a goofy ************.

He is excellent at hockey. He would be super easy to market around. His visibility/profitability would benefit from playing in a sizeable American market.

When his team has been eliminated in the playoffs, he's not the reason why nor is he "Gronking" in the clubs with strippers *and getting caught.

I would live stream myself pissing on a car battery to get that level of talent on the Flyers.

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That goes with Hayes, Deangelo, Risto, Atkinson....most of the players Fletcher brought in I can't stand.

I don't hate Risto, it's not his fault Fletcher overpaid him. He's just a big dumb bottom end D man but I have no hate for him. 

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Nothing will happen until they find out who/what they get in the draft anyway.

pre draft (leading to at the draft) is the first trade window.

second window is after the beginning of free agency when teams don't get the FA they wanted to fill their missing piece(s). 

Those are the bigger moments anyway. 

Now is the time to decide who you keep and start planning for the rest. 

8 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

pre draft (leading to at the draft) is the first trade window.

Right, but if they wind up getting Bedard, then a trade for Matthews becomes superfluous, for example. :hocky:

And the Leaes™️ aren't "over a barrel" capwise... yet...

7 hours ago, radoran said:

Right, but if they wind up getting Bedard, then a trade for Matthews becomes superfluous, for example. :hocky:

And the Leaes™️ aren't "over a barrel" capwise... yet...

idk, you need more than one offensive star in this league. Bedard is going to be great, but he's not a big guy and is going to need support for a few years and other players to carry the load for a bit. Team just needs to add talent, period.