Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Team just needs to add talent, period. 

So you're saying they should get Matthews? 😃

My point would be that the Flyers' rebuild takes on a different character with Bedard.

And keeping Hart with Bedard makes a ton of sense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radoran said:

We could always trade Hart, win the ping pong ball follies, draft Bedard, build something of a team around him and waste 5-7 years never having a goalie until Bedard's lung explodes or he suffers his 7th concussion.

I'm being stupid.  That would never happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

We could always trade Hart, win the ping pong ball follies, draft Bedard, build something of a team around him and waste 5-7 years never having a goalie until Bedard's lung explodes or he suffers his 7th concussion.

I'm being stupid.  That would never happen.

If Bedard is on the Flyers you are not even allowed to begin to consider the remotest possibility of ever - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - having him on your FHL squad(s).

Period.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, radoran said:

So you're saying they should get Matthews? 😃

My point would be that the Flyers' rebuild takes on a different character with Bedard.

I'd rather someone else. 

I'm not really in favor of trading Hart BUT if that's the plan and that's the move they have to make to bring in scoring talent I'd rather they made a move for young talent on entry level deals to help fix the cap. Buffalo is the first team I'd talk to. Full prospect pool in terms of talented forwards, and absolutely no goaltending. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

If Bedard is on the Flyers you are not even allowed to begin to consider the remotest possibility of ever - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - having him on your FHL squad(s).

Period.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

We both know who's drafting him. You never have to worry.

Wait. This person has a "no-Flyers" policy, so it will be the person with the next three picks.

So, were back to my first statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is Sixers co owner David Adelman.

Out with the old in with the new X players!

Thanks, I saw a tweet that identified him as a Billionaire!

Buy the team!! Lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Since we were discussing a rebuild does this kid make Konecny expendable?

Still gives you Tippett, Foerster, Allison and Brink.

If not now then when?

Asking for a friend.

If Briere does a rebuild (I'll believe it when I see it) then Konecny is expendable, as is many others. But I'd like to see how Briere does trading away the likes of Hayes and Deangelo before he starts dealing pieces with legit value.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:56 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well I guess we can start this new thread to discuss hopefully something good maybe for a change.

I can't say I know how this is going to go but as of now just happy Chuck is gone!!!

FLYERS

Danny Briere: Flyers’ Interim GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/03/12/philadelphia-flyers-danny-briere-interim-gm-welcomes-the-challenge-dave-scott-chuck-fletcher-general-manager-flahr-rebuild/

As always feel free to add your comments complaints whines all are welcome.

And let's be clear I have no real set expectations except to get back to playing good team hockey and to strive for icing the best team they can on a nightly basis.

Not even going to guess how much changes from now till the start of next season.

My crystal ball is in the shop.

The floor is yours!

Is he just serving as interim?  You best hope so.  I like Danny.  But even if he and Chris Drudy teamed up for this they just don’t have experience 

32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Is he just serving as interim?  You best hope so.  I like Danny.  But even if he and Chris Drudy teamed up for this they just don’t have experience 

Briere could totally suck at the job and would still be 100x better than Chuck Fletcher.

Plus he said in his press conference he learned about being a GM from watching Darcy Reiger in Buffalo and Paul Holmgren in Philly so what could possibly go wrong :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

I just saw something about Danny saying they flyers can't play the brand of hockey they're known for anymore, which is rough and tough, "Broad street Bullies" hockey. See this is what I don't agree with.

I want a team that can kick your a$$ and skate circles around you. All I ever hear anymore is about how the flyers need to lose the mentality to beat people up. Nobody seems to realize they lost that mentality a while ago...and I believe it has made them worse. Just because they sign Risto doesn't mean their tough. That guy is soft. Just because they sign Hayes doesn't mean their big. That guy is lazy and doesn't intimidate anyone. Nick D is just a show fighter...he doesn't put fear in anyone.

The Flyers problem is just straight up lack of talent. You can get talented guys that are tough in different ways. I want to keep the reputation of being nasty, just add more talent to go with it.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If Briere does a rebuild (I'll believe it when I see it) then Konecny is expendable, as is many others. But I'd like to see how Briere does trading away the likes of Hayes and Deangelo before he starts dealing pieces with legit value.

Our most talented offensive prospects/players are all right wingers. Konecny was on his way to 35 goals on a crap team before the injury. Tippet is certainly a future 30 goal scorer.  So let’s say they are our first and second line right wings and Allison is a solid third line guy capable of 20 goals. We also have Brink and Foerester who also have scoring ability and probably project as second line goal scorers. 

I said it months ago ,if we are rebuilding which management finally admitted is the case, then it would be wise to trade a guy like Konecny for the right package . He is an UFA in two more years, he will be 28 by then. So when a 28 yr old hits UFA , what is he looking for? He’s looking for a huge contract with long term to finish his career and a chance to win, he’s not looking to be in the beginning of another rebuild. We are five years away from just being competitive , so are we gonna make the same mistake we made with Coots, whos huge contract we will be stuck with long after he hits a wall as a contributing player. 

We have no legit first line center or even a second line center at this time, don’t say Coots, a 30 year old with a bad back, he’s as much as a top guy as Ellis was for us, with any luck both will be on LTIR for good. I would not count on a slow skater with a bad back as my top center. We also have no legit #1 or #2 defenseman . So we are a long way off from being a good team. Konecny and Provy should both be traded to help the rebuild or else we can wait two years and both can walk as UFAs. I would also check on the market for Hart. If Ersson is just a good solid goalie that’s all you need for the next 5-6 years of mediocrity that we will be putting on the ice.

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I want what is whatever best for turning this around.

I don't know how you have lived like this for however you have.

Losing like this sucks can't/won't get use to it.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have no legit first line center

Maybe you can turn Provorov or Sanheim into a package that can yield one either in return or with the draft pick you receive.

The two closest hope of being able to lock down one center spot is John- Randall Avon but he is only 19 and well the career college kid Jay O'Brien....so yeah not much hope as of now.

If feels like they want to force Gauthier into a center role and i haven't seen enough to know if he isn't just better on the LW.

I sure hope Danny has a plan or is he just a puppet to end the season??

A lot of work is needed on this team. Collection of misfits...

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If Briere does a rebuild (I'll believe it when I see it) then Konecny is expendable, as is many others.

I assume this means you think the time it takes to rebuild will outlast TK’s usefulness? What would you like to see coming back to the Flyers for TK? 

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe you can turn Provorov or Sanheim into a package that can yield one either in return or with the draft pick you receive.

The two closest hope of being able to lock down one center spot is John- Randall Avon but he is only 19 and well the career college kid Jay O'Brien....so yeah not much hope as of now.

If feels like they want to force Gauthier into a center role and i haven't seen enough to know if he isn't just better on the LW.

I sure hope Danny has a plan or is he just a puppet to end the season??

A lot of work is needed on this team. Collection of misfits...

One aspect to rebuild a team as quick as possible is to trade from your strength position to build up a weaker position. With the emergence of Tippett and the potential of Foerester and Brink, you take a real good guy like Konecny and move him for the right deal since he will be 32 by the time this team is even good.. Konecny and Provy should bring us back four assets , you just have to make sure they are the right assets. We need a potential first line center and a potential #1 or #2 dman.  Frost has shown some incredible playmaking, skating and a great shot, he could eventually become a playmaking #2 center. They are grooming Gauthier to be a power center but in this years draft if there’s a top center available then we should pick him in case Gauthier can’t make make it at center , then he can become a first line power left wing. O’Brien got about a point a game in college this year, he has a high skill level but who knows if they sign him or not.

I think its imperative to get a real good young defenseman in any deals with Provy and Konecny. Soyheim is not a top pair dman, he’s a second pair guy, York might be a first pair guy but we need a big two way dman on the first pair to play with him with. Attard has that type of game but I’m not sure if he’s a legit first line dman. I think if we paired Attard with Soyheim on the second pair it would certainly help him bounce back. Sanheim would have more confidence with a physical partner. So we still need somebody with a two way game for the first pair to replace Provy who is definitely being traded. You don’t want to make a trade trade that weakens the team long term. If it’s a temporary setback while you wait for a top end prospect to develop that’s fine.

No matter what, expect to suck for a few more 5 more years unless someone like Gauthier or this years pick become superstars within two years.  We have some good young guys like Tippett, Frost , Cates and Farabee.  Desoyners , Lyksell, Foerester and Brink also have skill. Our best prospects are up front .The problem I see is other than Attard ,we don’t have much on defense, I don’t think Zamula is gonna make an impact, he makes Sanheim look like Charles Atlas. So if we trade Konecny and Provy, we need to get some defenseman. 

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I assume this means you think the time it takes to rebuild will outlast TK’s usefulness? What would you like to see coming back to the Flyers for TK?

I don't speak for FC, but I don't think we know where they are in a rebuild until we know what they get on the draft.

That said, I don't think Konecny needs to be moved, as much as could be moved if the return blows you away.

If the ping pong ball drops in the Flyers' favor *cough* then all bets are off. TK is exactly the kind of winger I want to give a young center.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I would like to see some defenseman, all our best prospects are forwards and this years draft is all forwards. So we still need a potential #1 or # 2 defenseman. We do not have that Provy and Sanheim are not it and Provy will probably be traded.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't speak for FC, but I don't think we know where they are in a rebuild until we know what they get on the draft.

That said, I don't think Konecny needs to be moved, as much as could be moved if the return blows you away.

If the ping pong ball drops in the Flyers' favor *cough* then all bets are off. TK is exactly the kind of winger I want to give a young center.

Well ,  in he past couple of years the Devils got the #1 twice and the Rangers got the #1 and #2. What are the odds of that.   So maybe the NHL realizes they need a good team in Philly for the NY ,NJ rivalry and they put in the fix and we get the #1 this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

The problem I see is other than Attard ,we don’t have much on defense

Seems you forgot Emil Andrea. He joined the Phantoms two days ago.

He has #1 potential was compared to a Kimo type when he was drafted but will need time to develop a year or two in the AHL and he could be ready just in time for when Ivan is in his last year of his contract.

No need to rush this kid.

Ethan Samson is a legit two way guy.

A right hand shot but still just 19.

We'll see they still need to collect assets some seeds are planted but must be given time to ripen.