Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Bryzgalov is a compliance buyout with no cap penalty. They just keep paying him $1.6M a year.

Oh so he doesn’t count as one of the 3 then? I just don’t want him standing in the way of getting rid of Fletcherfkups 1 and 2 (Hayes and Ristolainen) if there’s any chance of that. Fletcherfkup 3 (DeAngelo) has at least some value on the ice, though I’m sure that’s a minority view. He hasn’t bothered me much this year like I thought he would. Mostly because it’s the Flyers and Who Cares? but also because at least he can skate and can move the puck.

But you guys are right a $2.5 cap hit for a year isn’t so terrible and it does free up a roster spot. I’d still gamble on getting back a late-round pick for him at the TD unless there’s a real promising candidate for his spot.

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Bryzgalov is a compliance buyout with no cap penalty. They just keep paying him $1.6M a year.

The utter definition of insanity ....

image.thumb.png.e43b41633054834b60d19dc058cd92b3.png

He will still get a paycheck from the Flyers for 4 more bloody years .... SMH.  At least there is no cap hit ....

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

You think it's easy to get into the Flyers' Hall of Fame?

Paul Holmgren Will Be Honored for His Contributions to Hockey in the ...

I saw this on the preview screen:

"You think it's easy to get into the Flyers' Hall of Fame?"

I was absolutely certain who I'd see a picture of.  You didn't disappoint!

• Annoyed 1

57 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I saw this on the preview screen:

"You think it's easy to get into the Flyers' Hall of Fame?"

I was absolutely certain who I'd see a picture of.  You didn't disappoint!

This just makes me sad. Very sad. 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:43 AM, flyercanuck said:

But I'd love Clarke. 

Well i hope the Kings don't know this could muddy the trade table...

...still want the kid as a center piece to a rebuild. I can always dream.

Kind of along the lines of what i have been saying trading from a strength to address a weakness.

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/03/22/philadelphia-flyers-have-an-abundance-of-right-wing-wingers-talent-owent-tippett-trade-travis-konecny-tyson-foerster/

The Philadelphia Flyers, finishing off another playoff-less season, don’t have too many areas of strength.

But they are getting there.

Especially at right wing.

Tyson Foerster’s strong showing in his six games with the Flyers — and coach John Tortorella’s raves about him — make the right winger a good bet to be a regular next season.

“We’re beginning to build a foundation; it’s really encouraging to me,” Tortorella said after the Flyers defeated Florida, 6-3, on Tuesday. “And I’ve said it many times with this kid Tyson. I’m trying to be careful, but each time I watch him, I say, ‘Man, theres another piece that maybe falls into place next year for us.”

Foerster’s impressive NHL play (five points, plus-1 in six games) albeit in a small sample size, coupled with Owen Tippett’s emergence, suddenly has the Flyers loaded at right wing.

Will they trade one of them this summer to help other areas of need?

Deep group

Here is the deep group:

Travis Konecny: He still could return late in the season, but before being injured he had a career-high 27 goals in 52 games. The winger just turned 26 and is in his prime. Will the Flyers keep him or try to “sell high” to help their rebuild?

Cam Atkinson: The Flyers’ MVP after scoring 23 goals last season, Atkinson has missed the entire campaign and had neck surgery on Dec. 21. He will turn 34 on June 5, and his best days are behind him, but he is considered a valuable mentor to the young players.

Owen Tippett: He has had a breakout season with 21 goals, and his speed and shot make him a big part of the future, perhaps as a cornerstone if he keeps developing. Tippett is just 24 and coming into his own.

Tyson Foerster: Speaking of big shots, Foerster, 21, may have the hardest one in the organization. In his six games with the Flyers, Foerster has also displayed great poise with the puck and a penchant for blocking shots. The kid looks ready, and Tortorella is gloating about him.

Wade Allison: While Tortorella has been praising Foerster, he has been blunt about the 25-year-old Allison. “Always hurt,” he said the other day. He said it nine times. There’s no doubting Allison’s tenacity and his scoring ability, but he needs to be able to stay on the ice much more frequently.

Bobby Brink: The diminutive right winger has 19 points (8-11) in 31 games with the Phantoms this season, and he will battle for a job with the Philadelphia Flyers in training camp. Brink (5-foot-8, 166 pounds), who turns 22 in July, may get a look-see with Philly at some point in the final 12 games.

If the Flyers try to deal one of their right wingers, they need help at center, left wing and defense.

The center spot will be bolstered greatly if Sean Couturier returns from back surgery and is his productive self, and Cutter Gauthier is deemed ready to contribute after an outstanding freshman season at Boston College.

Next year’s goaltending looks set, with Carter Hart as the No. 1 — unless interim GM Danny Briere is given an offer he cannot refuse — and promising Sam Ersson as the likely No. 2.

Edited by OccamsRazor
so glad we have changed GMs

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i hope the Kings don't know this could muddy the trade table...

...still want the kid as a center piece to a rebuild. I can always dream.

I wanted him his draft year.

But of course Fletcher thought getting Ristolainen was more important....Clarke is already a better defenceman than Risto. 

• Uggh... 1

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But of course Fletcher thought getting Ristolainen was more important.

And the Flyers were picking 14th where Clarke went 8th.

The Flyers have four top ten and two top five picks since 2007. One top five was Patrick. The other was last year. Then Couturier and Provorov.

They have striven for mediocrity and they have achieved it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

And the Flyers were picking 14th where Clarke went 8th.

The Flyers have four top ten and two top five picks since 2007. One top five was Patrick. The other was last year. Then Couturier and Provorov.

They have striven for mediocrity and they have achieved it.

Well if they actually held onto the pick they could have possibly traded up. Hard to trade up when al you have is 3rds, 5ths and 7ths. 

• Good Post 1

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well if they actually held onto the pick they could have possibly traded up. Hard to trade up when al you have is 3rds, 5ths and 7ths. 

Well, when you look at it that way...

Doctor Strange Trip GIF by Regal

Now do where they run the developmental program in a competent manner!

This could already would have being exciting!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran

FLYERS READY FOR NEW APPROACH

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/mar-2023/flyers-ready-for-new-approach

Hayes, who turns 31 in May, has ties with the Jackets given his close personal relationships with Gaudreau and Rick Nash, who works in the front office. I’d imagine the Flyers will be retaining in the neighborhood of 33% of salary for the three years remaining on Hayes’ deal that carries an AAV of $7.14 million. As for a return, I don’t imagine it being anything monumental.

Sweet baby Hey-zus be true...

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Kind of along the lines of what i have been saying trading from a strength to address a weakness.

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/03/22/philadelphia-flyers-have-an-abundance-of-right-wing-wingers-talent-owent-tippett-trade-travis-konecny-tyson-foerster/

The Philadelphia Flyers, finishing off another playoff-less season, don’t have too many areas of strength.

But they are getting there.

Especially at right wing.

Tyson Foerster’s strong showing in his six games with the Flyers — and coach John Tortorella’s raves about him — make the right winger a good bet to be a regular next season.

“We’re beginning to build a foundation; it’s really encouraging to me,” Tortorella said after the Flyers defeated Florida, 6-3, on Tuesday. “And I’ve said it many times with this kid Tyson. I’m trying to be careful, but each time I watch him, I say, ‘Man, theres another piece that maybe falls into place next year for us.”

Foerster’s impressive NHL play (five points, plus-1 in six games) albeit in a small sample size, coupled with Owen Tippett’s emergence, suddenly has the Flyers loaded at right wing.

Will they trade one of them this summer to help other areas of need?

Deep group

Here is the deep group:

Travis Konecny: He still could return late in the season, but before being injured he had a career-high 27 goals in 52 games. The winger just turned 26 and is in his prime. Will the Flyers keep him or try to “sell high” to help their rebuild?

Cam Atkinson: The Flyers’ MVP after scoring 23 goals last season, Atkinson has missed the entire campaign and had neck surgery on Dec. 21. He will turn 34 on June 5, and his best days are behind him, but he is considered a valuable mentor to the young players.

Owen Tippett: He has had a breakout season with 21 goals, and his speed and shot make him a big part of the future, perhaps as a cornerstone if he keeps developing. Tippett is just 24 and coming into his own.

Tyson Foerster: Speaking of big shots, Foerster, 21, may have the hardest one in the organization. In his six games with the Flyers, Foerster has also displayed great poise with the puck and a penchant for blocking shots. The kid looks ready, and Tortorella is gloating about him.

Wade Allison: While Tortorella has been praising Foerster, he has been blunt about the 25-year-old Allison. “Always hurt,” he said the other day. He said it nine times. There’s no doubting Allison’s tenacity and his scoring ability, but he needs to be able to stay on the ice much more frequently.

Bobby Brink: The diminutive right winger has 19 points (8-11) in 31 games with the Phantoms this season, and he will battle for a job with the Philadelphia Flyers in training camp. Brink (5-foot-8, 166 pounds), who turns 22 in July, may get a look-see with Philly at some point in the final 12 games.

If the Flyers try to deal one of their right wingers, they need help at center, left wing and defense.

The center spot will be bolstered greatly if Sean Couturier returns from back surgery and is his productive self, and Cutter Gauthier is deemed ready to contribute after an outstanding freshman season at Boston College.

Next year’s goaltending looks set, with Carter Hart as the No. 1 — unless interim GM Danny Briere is given an offer he cannot refuse — and promising Sam Ersson as the likely No. 2.

He stole my story, I wrote all this the other day.