Game 68: Buffalo Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/17/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

The O&B are underdogs (+125).  Buffalo has taken five of the last six.  

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/buffalo-philadelphia-odds-march-17-2023-1706656

Buffalo is high scoring, but there PK is weak:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/buf-vs-phi/2023/03/17/2022021091

Sam Ersson shut them out on January 9th.  Joel Farabee and TK scored in that one.  Well, Joel has all but disappeared and TK is out.  About the only thing that comes to mind watching the Sabres is that they had their long walk in the woods and figured a way out.   Maybe we can say the same in 2-3 seasons.  That said, you can watch and hope for a loss to improve the draft pick.  

hoooboy, one of the "poster children" for poorly run franchises is going to come to the WFC and run this Flyers squad through.

@Howie58 you're right about their time walking in the woods, they have a nice group of young players again.

For the sake of that fanbase I hope they figure out who is worth building around.

So many starts and redirections over the years, I hope the Flyers return to quality more quickly than what we've seen from Buffalo over the past 20 years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

hoooboy, one of the "poster children" for poorly run franchises is going to come to the WFC and run this Flyers squad through.

@Howie58 you're right about their time walking in the woods, they have a nice group of young players again.

For the sake of that fanbase I hope they figure out who is worth building around.

So many starts and redirections over the years, I hope the Flyers return to quality more quickly than what we've seen from Buffalo over the past 20 years.

Mojo, they have had troubles to be sure. It's ironic, both the Flyers and Buffalo provided evidence that expansion could work.  Along the way, they've also shown that organizations have to morph or face serious consequences.  

• Like 1

They have scoring talent but crap goaltending. Flyers have goaltending but crap scoring. The yin and yang of bad franchises. They do struggle against that sort of shutdown low event hockey Torts gets the Flyers playing (sometimes) though so who knows. Depends which team gets to play their style. 

• Like 1

Allison has an exceptionally strong north/south game, just the kind of player the Flyers could use while they’re rebuilding. Except that Tortorella’s right he’s always hurt. I don’t get it. But he won’t be the first guy who can’t shake the injury bug. Oh well….next!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Allison has an exceptionally strong north/south game, just the kind of player the Flyers could use while they’re rebuilding. Except that Tortorella’s right he’s always hurt. I don’t get it. But he won’t be the first guy who can’t shake the injury bug. Oh well….next!

It's too bad Fletcher didn't bring him in....he'd already have a long term deal for huge money and be on permanent IR.

And I'll just leave this here...

The World Is Celebrating St. Patrick's Day With Memes And Jokes, So Here  Are 30 Of The Most Spot-On Ones | Bored Panda

• Haha 1

Ladies and Gentlemen...Joel Farabee has scored a goal. It's been awhile, 26 games when the Flyers beat Buffalo 4-0 in Buffalo. Anderson that night too.

Tippett has 2 tonight - #19 and 20 on the season.

I know we prefer losses at this point but I won't sweat a few more wins. I'd rather see Farabee scoring than worry about a few percentage points.

Flyers are 28th now =  8.5% odds. If they "drop" to 25th = 6%. Not much difference. 

Here are the percentages based on the positions in the standings:

32 – 18.5%
31 – 13.5%
30 – 11.5%
29 – 9.5%
28 – 8.5%
27 – 7.5%
26 – 6.5%
25 – 6%
24 – 5%
23 – 3.5%
22 – 3%
21 – 2.5%
20 – 2%
19 – 1.5%
18 – .5%
17 – .5%

JJ and Keith were commenting that some fans wouldn't be happy with a win given draft dynamics. But it's nice to see Tippett strut his stuff. We get a few more like him and this squad will be fun to watch.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

JJ and Keith were commenting that some fans wouldn't be happy with a win given draft dynamics. But it's nice to see Tippett strut his stuff. We get a few more like him and this squad will be fun to watch.

No way Bettman will ever let Bedard end up in Philly so draft position is irrelevant.

ALWAYS good beating Buffalo!! If the two losses to the Flyers are the reason the Sabres miss the playoffs, even better!

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Good for him. 

4 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Sabres have some talent, but boy are they a soft team. I'm glad we're not them. 

During their 11 year rebuild they haven’t found a goalie. Makes me glad the Flyers have Hart and Ersson. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

During their 11 year rebuild they haven’t found a goalie. Makes me glad the Flyers have Hart and Ersson. 

True. They were supposed to have one in Lehner but he sucked and had big issues and then got good when he left and then went bonkers again like a reality tv show star with his snake farms of all things. What a weird dude. Otherwise though ya, they have nobody, although Devon Levi might change that in a few years.