Sabres, Levi ink ELC

Brewin Flames

Sabres sign Northeastern goalie Devon Levi to 3-year deal

3:39 PM ET
  • Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres signed goalie Devon Levi to a three-year entry level contract Friday, less than a week after the 21-year-old's junior season ended at Northeastern.

Levi won the Mike Richter Award as college hockey's top goalie last season, and is once again a finalist this year following a season in which he led the nation with a .923 save percentage. He also led Hockey East goalies with 14 wins, six shutouts, a 1.81 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

Drafted by Florida in 2020, Buffalo acquired him in a trade that sent forward Sam Reinhart to the Panthers in July 2021.

Levi is considered the Sabres' goalie of the future at a position that's been mostly unsettled since Ryan Miller's era ended with his trade to St. Louis during the 2013-14 season.

The Sabres have a three-goalie rotation, which includes Eric Comrie and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, who are both signed through the end of next season. Levi's path opened up when Buffalo traded Erik Portillo to Los Angeles earlier this month and after Michigan's goalie expressed no interest to sign with the team.

Northeastern failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament, its season ending in a 2-1 overtime loss to Providence in the Hockey East quarterfinals.

After missing his freshman season due to injury, Levi finished with a 38-22-6 record, and leaves Northeastern holding career school marks with a 1.9 goals-against average and 16 shutouts.

Levi is from suburban Montreal and represented Canada at the 2022 Beijing Winter Games in the absence of NHL players. He dressed as a backup for one game, but did not play.

In 2021, he was named the world junior championship tournament's top goaltender in helping Canada win a silver medal.

7 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Sabres sign Northeastern goalie Devon Levi to 3-year deal

3:39 PM ET
  • Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres signed goalie Devon Levi to a three-year entry level contract Friday, less than a week after the 21-year-old's junior season ended at Northeastern.

Levi won the Mike Richter Award as college hockey's top goalie last season, and is once again a finalist this year following a season in which he led the nation with a .923 save percentage. He also led Hockey East goalies with 14 wins, six shutouts, a 1.81 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

Drafted by Florida in 2020, Buffalo acquired him in a trade that sent forward Sam Reinhart to the Panthers in July 2021.

Levi is considered the Sabres' goalie of the future at a position that's been mostly unsettled since Ryan Miller's era ended with his trade to St. Louis during the 2013-14 season.

The Sabres have a three-goalie rotation, which includes Eric Comrie and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, who are both signed through the end of next season. Levi's path opened up when Buffalo traded Erik Portillo to Los Angeles earlier this month and after Michigan's goalie expressed no interest to sign with the team.

Northeastern failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament, its season ending in a 2-1 overtime loss to Providence in the Hockey East quarterfinals.

After missing his freshman season due to injury, Levi finished with a 38-22-6 record, and leaves Northeastern holding career school marks with a 1.9 goals-against average and 16 shutouts.

Levi is from suburban Montreal and represented Canada at the 2022 Beijing Winter Games in the absence of NHL players. He dressed as a backup for one game, but did not play.

In 2021, he was named the world junior championship tournament's top goaltender in helping Canada win a silver medal.

So what do you think?  And sorry. I did not see your post before I put mine up.  Do you think the Sabres might actually have him go straight in?  There is talk it’s his choice.  Imagine him starting tomorrow vs Boston.  Now I’m excited to dump the trash we now have.  But just moving Heaven and Earth to sneak into playoffs fox a fast exit is probably not a good idea. You did not see the real Sabres in Philly last night and I am sure Granato is letting them have it.  Anderson showed his true colors as Comrie did vs Dallas.  BUMS are what all 3 of these rat turds are!

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Go watch that Super Bowl tape again and then tell me about ruining 

I am not rewatching that...i don't have too.

All those mistakes and they still might win that if the defense could make just one ******* stop!

We'll see sad you can't beat the stinking Flyers with a 42 year old goalie...

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All those mistakes and they still might win that if the defense could make just one ******* stop!

I blame the coaches on defense 

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Sabres have no goalie until now.  Granato is mind boggling.   He doesn’t play Jost who is playing great.  And Tage Thompson sits at 42 in a slump

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know one thing, we are set up better for the next 5 years or so than they are.  Imagine John Tortorella and Danny Briere on common ground on draft day!  lol 😂 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

I was hoping he’d play today.  But the immigration process they say will delay him taking the ice.  We need to roll out the red carpet for him and pull the rug out on the other 3 loafers that have been getting paid for being useless.  Get rid of the rubbish!

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

We cant get the kid in goal fast enough.  At least I know he has the talent.  Unlike the others bums

I hope he's amazing, but it's always good to temper expectations. He's young and small and has yet to play a pro game. Give the kid room to breathe.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I hope he's amazing, but it's always good to temper expectations. He's young and small and has yet to play a pro game. Give the kid room to breathe.

NONSENSE!!

He either wins the Vezina on his first pro year, or he gets thrown back in the water and the Sabres re-sign Craig Anderston till he is 44!! :ph34r:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Id like to. But Anderson pulled against one of the worst offensive teams in the league.  How the hell does that old man give up 7 to Preds?  All 3 of these goalies are crap.  Luukenen is the best in game situation but is the worst shootout goalie I have ever seen along with that other guy, Lehner. Let Levi go in and work through it. At least we know he has the talent unlike these other 3.   Adams really sealed our fate before the season started by having no plan in goal.  I blame him.  Not Granato.  I feel bad for Granato.  He says ? we will get through this and I have been in worst situations and gotten through". Well he has to say that. I wonder if he has lost a few in the locker room?  And Thompson finally scored last night. Taking Jost out before the fiasco in Philly was a huge mistake by Granato.  Nobody has shown more heart, and you just do not pull a guy so Olofsson can come out of a slump. I am sick of Olofsson and his one dimensional style of play  Skinner can give us that at a higher level.  Thompson and Tuch must be kept together. Quinn and Paterka I feel the same.  At least keep them in the lineup.  Two good youngsters. Power is an offensive minded defensman. He  has some learning to do on D but he has a ton of talent. And they were talking about Samuelson.  They said when he plays they are just better on goals against.  He is probably the only one along with Dahlin that has a clue how to play defense.  He is a keeper.  So I throw Levi to the wolves. Not that many games left  Last night's loss sealed our fate.  No playoffs.

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Id like to. But Anderson pulled against one of the worst offensive teams in the league.  How the hell does that old man give up 7 to Preds?  All 3 of these goalies are crap.  Luukenen is the best in game situation but is the worst shootout goalie I have ever seen along with that other guy, Lehner. Let Levi go in and work through it. At least we know he has the talent unlike these other 3.   Adams really sealed our fate before the season started by having no plan in goal.  I blame him.  Not Granato.  I feel bad for Granato.  He says ? we will get through this and I have been in worst situations and gotten through". Well he has to say that. I wonder if he has lost a few in the locker room?  And Thompson finally scored last night. Taking Jost out before the fiasco in Philly was a huge mistake by Granato.  Nobody has shown more heart, and you just do not pull a guy so Olofsson can come out of a slump. I am sick of Olofsson and his one dimensional style of play  Skinner can give us that at a higher level.  Thompson and Tuch must be kept together. Quinn and Paterka I feel the same.  At least keep them in the lineup.  Two good youngsters. Power is an offensive minded defensman. He  has some learning to do on D but he has a ton of talent. And they were talking about Samuelson.  They said when he plays they are just better on goals against.  He is probably the only one along with Dahlin that has a clue how to play defense.  He is a keeper.  So I throw Levi to the wolves. Not that many games left  Last night's loss sealed our fate.  No playoffs.

The Sabres have the 5th worst Expected Goals Against in the league, have given up the 7th most High Danger Chances, and the 7th most Shots. In other words, the defense (on a team level, not just the blueline) needs a lot of fixing, and throwing a kid into the deep end of the pool won't help him develop. No small part of goaltending is mental, and sending him out there to get lit up like a pinball machine could do long term damage.

The NHL is not a development league.  I don't have a problem with having him around the Sabres, and getting a chance to see what kind of preparation is needed at this level. Give him a few NHL games at the end of this season, let him make some NHL money, and then give him next year to play every day in Rochester. Like I said before, he's young, small and has never played a pro game. His long term development is much more important to the Sabres than getting a few feel-good wins at the end of a season where they're not ready to compete.

If they're smart, they'll play the long game here.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Good Post 2

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The Sabres have the 5th worst Expected Goals Against in the league, have given up the 7th most High Danger Chances, and the 7th most Shots. In other words, the defense (on a team level, not just the blueline) needs a lot of fixing, and throwing a kid into the deep end of the pool won't help him develop.

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

NONSENSE!!

He either wins the Vezina on his first pro year, or he gets thrown back in the water and the Sabres re-sign Craig Anderston till he is 44!! :ph34r:

No!  But now that we are finished, he possibly goes to Rochester?  Maybe for the best.  Will Granato survive this is the question now.  It’s tough to compete with big markets.  Veterans flock to the Rangers.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It’s tough to compete with big markets.  Veterans flock to the Rangers.

This is true.

The Rangers have been so dominant that they've won *checks notes* one Stanley Cup since 1940.

And they've been to a Final in this century.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool: