Wild fan playoff watch

Icechipper

Who do you like down the stretch?

Kraken a good storyline with Hakstol from UND and Borgen of Moorhead

Otteinger showing Minnesota goalies more than capable

Bjugstad headed to round two with Oilers

Zach Whitecloud of Bemidji State University

Edited by Icechipper

There are always plenty of Minnesota angles for the playoffs.  With so many players / connections there is a lot of ways people can go into it.  I haven't hitched to any bandwagon yet.  Like many, I have a NHL Playoffs Bracket but it doesn't mean I really care one way or the other how it all works out.  Its just for fun.  

I watched the Lighting / Leafs series finale yesterday, it just makes it painfully obvious how far away the Wild are from being a contender with the lack of speed, skill and effort we had in our last few games against Dallas.  Other teams in the playoffs seem to understand the urgency of the playoffs and the Wild just...don't.  

• Like 2

I happened to be in Vegas for meetings last week and bought tickets for Vegas game 1 - was insane...  I had 4 season tickets to the Wild for probably 5 years - my how times have changed and the arena atmosphere - the pre and post Vegas game was an absolute event...

I've been watching a lot of other teams come playoffs - have been very surprised how the top teams have been knocked off...  Thought for sure Boston or the Avs would have made it far - also surprised by the normal playoff teams that never made it to the dance (Was, Pitts, etc)...

I saw somewhere that viewership was up like 13% this year - figure that might be because most games are on TBS...  

Edited by Confrontational

On 4/29/2023 at 11:53 PM, Icechipper said:

Who do you like down the stretch?

Kraken a good storyline with Hakstol from UND and Borgen of Moorhead

Otteinger showing Minnesota goalies more than capable

Bjugstad headed to round two with Oilers

Zach Whitecloud of Bemidji State University

Our former player Nick Bjugstad from Blaine,MN. Already has 2 goals in 8 playoffs games with Oilers. The other players didn't play with Wild.

• Like 1

I missed this thread early on and now any of the teams after the Wild exited that I was following are out. :P
The only interest for me now is to root for VGK to oust the Stars. (again, Sorry Math) 😁
FLA/Carolina could be a good series to watch.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Florida was the President’s trophy winner last year. 
It could be argued that their off season moves improved the team by adding grit. 
I will not be surprised by their winning. 
As far as Dallas vs Vegas, I can’t decide which team I hate most. 
Dallas has the pos Ryan Suter. 
Vegas has really seemed to have had an road with the entry draft rules. 
The fact that they didn’t have to take part in the Seattle expansion draft was lame. 
They also have played the LTIR game, which I really hate. 
I also can’t stand the way Vegas makes a show out of the game. The game should be the show, not their little play acting before the game. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:01 AM, Tomdog said:

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Florida was the President’s trophy winner last year. 
It could be argued that their off season moves improved the team by adding grit. 
I will not be surprised by their winning. 
As far as Dallas vs Vegas, I can’t decide which team I hate most. 
Dallas has the pos Ryan Suter. 
Vegas has really seemed to have had an road with the entry draft rules. 
The fact that they didn’t have to take part in the Seattle expansion draft was lame. 
They also have played the LTIR game, which I really hate. 
I also can’t stand the way Vegas makes a show out of the game. The game should be the show, not their little play acting before the game. 

Before seeing this I was about to say I was kinda rooting for VGK since they're doing all this without a #1 or #2 Goalie.
Showing it's all about the team. 
Florida is probably going to hoist the Cup the way they're handling series so far.
They may of added Grit but they didn't make it "First". 😁

Vegas road was easier because GM's panicked and gave them extra assets not to take certain players.  They didn't make that mistake with Seattle.  But give Seattle credit, they stayed calm...played a team game and made some savvy free agent pickups in Year 2.  

As far as the playoffs go from a coverage standpoint it incredible the huge improvement TNT / TBS is over ESPN.  Studio and play by play its no contest.  TNT / TBS' broadcasters are vastly superior.  The only ESPN broadcasting asset they have, Ray Ferraro is doomed to have a rancid play-by-play person to work with.  Buccigross or WIschusen are HORRIBLE.  Buccigross may love hockey...but his erratic play by play call sounds like the annoying guy who 'oohs' and 'aahhs' with every shot no matter how bad the miss may be.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, ClusterChuck said:

I missed this thread early on and now any of the teams after the Wild exited that I was following are out. :P
The only interest for me now is to root for VGK to oust the Stars. (again, Sorry Math) 😁
FLA/Carolina could be a good series to watch.

4OT during the 1st game of round#3 was a very rare event happening in NHL. An interesting also during this round, 2 Staal brothers from Florida are playing against the other Staal brother from Carolina which is a rare event too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

4OT during the 1st game of round#3 was a very rare event happening in NHL. An interesting also during this round, 2 Staal brothers from Florida are playing against the other Staal brother from Carolina which is a rare event too.

And now all 4 games so far have gone to OT...Crazy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

And now all 4 games so far have gone to OT...Crazy.

That was crazy. Yesterday Florida was able to beat Carolina with a crazy score in playoffs regulation 1:0 after such an intense  game. I would prefer to see this round in Cup finals instead of Conference finals.

I just looked for Staal brothers (Eric 38 y.o.; Marc 36 y.o; Jordan 34 y.o.) career achievements. All 3 brothers were round 1 drafts and all passed 1000 NHL games. Eric a Triple Gold Club Member; Jordan won 1 WC and 1 Stanley Cup; Marc reached 1 time Stanley Cup Finals. I really would like that Marc will get a Stanley Cup too. What a professional family!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

That was crazy. Yesterday Florida was able to beat Carolina with a crazy score in playoffs regulation 1:0 after such an intense  game. I would prefer to see this round in Cup finals instead of Conference finals.

I just looked for Staal brothers (Eric 38 y.o.; Marc 36 y.o; Jordan 34 y.o.) career achievements. All 3 brothers were round 1 drafts and all passed 1000 NHL games. Eric a Triple Gold Club Member; Jordan won 1 WC and 1 Stanley Cup; Marc reached 1 time Stanley Cup Finals. I really would like that Marc will get a Stanley Cup too. What a professional family!!! 

That one was ripe to go to OT too. Can't believe it didn't but Bob was incredible when needed.
Fun to see all the Staal brothers like this. Very talented Hockey family. I never thought Eric was given much credit here as much as he deseved. Bad timing? Misused?... I don't know, But at the time we let a good player go.

Heh, Maybe the Wild fans reaction but any of our players do that? 😁🤔

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

That one was ripe to go to OT too. Can't believe it didn't but Bob was incredible when needed.
Fun to see all the Staal brothers like this. Very talented Hockey family. I never thought Eric was given much credit here as much as he deseved. Bad timing? Misused?... I don't know, But at the time we let a good player go.

Heh, Maybe the Wild fans reaction but any of our players do that? 😁🤔

I think only Fleury did after game#2 when we loss 3:7.

Regarding Eric Staal. He was our single Triple Gold Club member who played for our team. He was a 2nd player after Gaborik who placed most goals(42) in a Wild history. Personally for me he was a very

hardworking player who could be a nice example for our youngsters. Interesting, after trading from us to Buffalo and then to Montreal during the same season he was able to reach Cup finals with Canadiens. And now he is helping to Panthers and to his brother Marc possibly to get a Stanley Cup for him.

• Like 1

I missed the first 1/2 of last night's VGK-Stars game and I don't usually get jaw dropping moments but when I saw it was 4-0 VGK, My jaw did drop.
Only until the 2nd intermission did I see why. 
Their so called Captain decided to get gritty. Something most of us would call Frustration. 😅
This is exactly why I give Jamie Benn 0 credit. I just don't care for his tactics.
I'm sure the Dallas fan base is blaming Refs and so on, But right there is your problem, Lack of discipline. 

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Good Post 1

19 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I missed the first 1/2 of last night's VGK-Stars game and I don't usually get jaw dropping moments but when I saw it was 4-0 VGK, My jaw did drop.
Only until the 2nd intermission did I see why. 
Their so called Captain decided to get gritty. Something most of us would call Frustration. 😅
This is exactly why I give Jamie Benn 0 credit. I just don't care for his tactics.
I'm sure the Dallas fan base is blaming Refs and so on, But right there is your problem, Lack of discipline. 

That is true. And now their Captain disqualified for 2 games. At the end of the game Dallas fans were booing badly on their team and throwing bottles and pop canes on the ice. Definitely frustration was there with a score 0:4 and team's play. Another better example, Carolina team played extremely hard every game despite of losing all 4 games.

6 hours ago, Alexandron said:

That is true. And now their Captain disqualified for 2 games. At the end of the game Dallas fans were booing badly on their team and throwing bottles and pop canes on the ice. Definitely frustration was there with a score 0:4 and team's play. Another better example, Carolina team played extremely hard every game despite of losing all 4 games.

Yeah, Even Brindamour the coach said before the game ended no matter the outcome, They played well and they did.
Like to see VGK finish this up tonight and we get on to the finals.😎
Also going to watch to see if that # BANG guy has another aneurysm with a side of stroke like he did early in the 3rd in GM 3. 🤪 Dude was flippin out. 😅

I think the Carolina players' reaction is something we wish we'd see from our team.  Instead its just a 1,000 yard stare, something like mild disappointment, a few empty cliches about needing to be better and onto the next season to do it all over again.  Same with management and the coaching staff who have done this a few times already...same schitt, different day.  

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

Ugh... Seeing Vegas let in that 3rd goal and then do what I felt was a Wild thing and stick to set plays and passing up shooting opps.
Over passing etc. Not much urgency to tie it back up and led to the 4th goal.
I knew Dallas wasn't going to fold in gm 4 but VGK is dripping blood and Dallas could really possibly do what hasn't been done ever before in this round.
Hopefully VGK ends this Monday night so we can get to the finals starting Saturday night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Ugh... Seeing Vegas let in that 3rd goal and then do what I felt was a Wild thing and stick to set plays and passing up shooting opps.
Over passing etc. Not much urgency to tie it back up and led to the 4th goal.
I knew Dallas wasn't going to fold in gm 4 but VGK is dripping blood and Dallas could really possibly do what hasn't been done ever before in this round.
Hopefully VGK ends this Monday night so we can get to the finals starting Saturday night.

Evidently Vegas didn't learn from Boston's mistake. 

They need to seal this deal before someone important gets a freak injury.

A 3-2 lead is no guarantee. 

• Good Post 1

Kudos to the Dallas fans who stayed to cheer one last time for their team and see the handshake line and even the trophy presentation.
Those are the true Hockey fans.
Best part of this series was there wasn't many offsides to slow play. Team on both sides had clean entries.
Then the Ref's allowed them to play. That was fair all series. 
DeBoer does a great job in focusing in shutting down the opposing 'Star' as he did with Eichel, But VGK has way more weapons.
Should be a fun Stanley Cup Final. 😎

Did Suter even do the handshake line? I didn't see him there. :P And I'll bet he was first off the ice.