Wild fan playoff watch

Icechipper

On 5/31/2023 at 7:30 PM, Icechipper said:

So, Suter could face another buyout? One of the highest-paid players in the league already?

Wouldn't that be something 😅

A really good game 1 until late in 3rd.
I don't like the penalty for challenges that fail. I get that you need deterents for keeping them in check and not over used, But this 'system' is a game changer and on the negative side most of the time.
Teams are almost forced to risk making the situation worse by even challenging.
Why not give teams 2 total challenges per game (1 more for OT only in PO's) That's it and no reprecusions if it doesn't go your way. Play on.
What could've been a 1 goal finish potentially turned south quick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Wouldn't that be something 😅

A really good game 1 until late in 3rd.
I don't like the penalty for challenges that fail. I get that you need deterents for keeping them in check and not over used, But this 'system' is a game changer and on the negative side most of the time.
Teams are almost forced to risk making the situation worse by even challenging.
Why not give teams 2 total challenges per game (1 more for OT only in PO's) That's it and no reprecusions if it doesn't go your way. Play on.
What could've been a 1 goal finish potentially turned south quick. 

200% agree (to give teams 2 total challenges per game and 1 more for OT only in PO's). It makes sense. And not only for the playoffs, but for the regular season too. Because often penalty for challenges destructing team's results too. Why you didn't propose this long time ago when this strange rule was inserted in NHL (penalty for challenges)? 😀

And I agree too that game 1 in finals was really good one until late in 3rd. A must win tonight for Panthers to break a losing streak in finals. So far is 0:5. They lost 1st 4 games in 1996 against Colorado team. I do not want to see a repeated scenario. In my opinion, Vegas is a beatable team, especially if Panthers were able to win over such a most difficult NHL opponents before (Boston, Toronto, Carolina). Hope they didn't lose a lot of energy after that rally.

• Like 1

Regarding the yesterday game#2 of Stanley Cup finals when Panthers were losing 0:3 during the game, Michael Russo placed a message which had my attention:

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

13h

Per NHL Stats because I was maniacal enough to send them a query at 3-0, Alex Lyon is the 5th Minnesota-born goalie to play in a Stanley Cup Final (Jake Oettinger, 2020; Jon Casey, 1991; Frank Brimsek, 1939 and 1946; Mike Karakas 1938 and 1944).

Edited by Alexandron

On 6/5/2023 at 9:13 AM, Alexandron said:

200% agree (to give teams 2 total challenges per game and 1 more for OT only in PO's). It makes sense. And not only for the playoffs, but for the regular season too. Because often penalty for challenges destructing team's results too. Why you didn't propose this long time ago when this strange rule was inserted in NHL (penalty for challenges)? 😀

And I agree too that game 1 in finals was really good one until late in 3rd. A must win tonight for Panthers to break a losing streak in finals. So far is 0:5. They lost 1st 4 games in 1996 against Colorado team. I do not want to see a repeated scenario. In my opinion, Vegas is a beatable team, especially if Panthers were able to win over such a most difficult NHL opponents before (Boston, Toronto, Carolina). Hope they didn't lose a lot of energy after that rally.

Now it's really a must win. More like they have to win Both at home to make it a series.
Maybe it's my 'Get off my Lawn' old man grumpiness but that game 2 was annoying for various reasons.
A: You can't even deliver a clean hit these days without a crowd gathering and then the Ref's dish out more penalties left and right.
B: Tkachuk is a loose cannon and even tho the game was out of reach at that point, He decided to fire up the team I guess. Then gets yet another 10 min misconduct because of it.
He's the Captain and then his behavior later getting yet another 10 is down right embarrassing. No discipline by many of the Panthers once they get behind.
VGK is rolling and probably will steamroll Fla in 4. But being up 2-0 they might relax a bit.
We'll see if the Ref's go all this tonight....
Well, It was going to be the classic "Get Out" GIF but they don't seem to be working here. 🙄

On 6/8/2023 at 5:20 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Now it's really a must win. More like they have to win Both at home to make it a series.
Maybe it's my 'Get off my Lawn' old man grumpiness but that game 2 was annoying for various reasons.
A: You can't even deliver a clean hit these days without a crowd gathering and then the Ref's dish out more penalties left and right.
B: Tkachuk is a loose cannon and even tho the game was out of reach at that point, He decided to fire up the team I guess. Then gets yet another 10 min misconduct because of it.
He's the Captain and then his behavior later getting yet another 10 is down right embarrassing. No discipline by many of the Panthers once they get behind.
VGK is rolling and probably will steamroll Fla in 4. But being up 2-0 they might relax a bit.
We'll see if the Ref's go all this tonight....
Well, It was going to be the classic "Get Out" GIF but they don't seem to be working here. 🙄

I think it is going to be a last game tomorrow for this dramatic playoffs 2023 season. And total score will be 1:8 for Panthers in 9 final games at Stanley Cups (1996;2023). Not a good score for a warrior team.  You are probably right with a discipline affected this score. Plus I was impressed by Vegas goalie outstanding results in his 4 (so far) final games: he was losing only 2 goals per game in regulation, which was a crucial number for this finals. Panthers,unfortunately, were not able to pass this number except one game(#3) in OT when placed a 3rd goal in Hill's net. Do you think our Gustavsson is capable for this long run play similar to Adin Hill?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I think it is going to be a last game tomorrow for this dramatic playoffs 2023 season. And total score will be 1:8 for Panthers in 9 final games at Stanley Cups (1996;2023). Not a good score for a warrior team.  You are probably right with a discipline affected this score. Plus I was impressed by Vegas goalie outstanding results in his 4 (so far) final games: he was losing only 2 goals per game in regulation, which was a crucial number for this finals. Panthers,unfortunately, were not able to pass this number except one game(#3) in OT when placed a 3rd goal in Hill's net. Do you think our Gustavsson is capable for this long run play similar to Adin Hill?

Good question...I've thought about Gus and comparing with Hill a bit and I'd have to see how Gus plays next season. This was a contract year and he made the most of it. Throw that out and see what he can do.
I don't think currently we have the defensive support system VGK has but if we did, Gus could be as stable as Hill in goal. They both have the same style of play so why not? 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Good question...I've thought about Gus and comparing with Hill a bit and I'd have to see how Gus plays next season. This was a contract year and he made the most of it. Throw that out and see what he can do.
I don't think currently we have the defensive support system VGK has but if we did, Gus could be as stable as Hill in goal. They both have the same style of play so why not? 

I agree. Both goalies(Hill and Gustavsson) have same style of play and hope Guss will show same play next season too. According to our other players and this such a tough playoffs run for Panthers and Vegas teams , we should have more physically and mentally prepared players capable to replace each other during a critical/crucial time if they key player was injured. Do we have that option? Not yet. Without Tkachuk (who was previously badly injured by Vegas team),Panthers team looked different in a final game without him. Still I would be very happy if our Wild team will reach finals in our lifetime like Florida did in their carrier. Actually, they did it twice. This season last seed team was capable to reach finals like last seed Canadiens team did a couple seasons ago. Interesting fact, that for both teams (Panthers and Canadiens) played with our former player Eric Staal. Proud for his carrier achievements.

• Like 1