Rangers, Gallant mutually agree to part ways

Rangers, Gallant mutually agree to part ways

TSN.ca Staff

Published 

The New York Rangers and head coach Gerard Gallant have mutually agreed to part ways after their first-round loss to the New Jersey Devils, Rangers President and General Manager Chris Drury announced on Saturday.

Gallant exits the Big Apple after two seasons, leading the Rangers to back-to-back 100-plus point seasons and a combined record of 99-46-19.

“I would like to thank Mr. Dolan, Chris and the Rangers organization for giving me the opportunity to be their head coach these last two seasons," Gallant said in a statement. "The experience of coaching an Original Six franchise with such rich history and an incredibly passionate fanbase is something I will never forget. After conversations with my family and Chris, it became clear that this was the right decision for both myself and [the Rangers] at this time.”

The Rangers brought in wingers Vladimir Tarasenko and Patrick Kane ahead of the trade deadline, hoping to build on a 2021-22 season that saw them reach the conference final. New York jumped out to a 2-0 series lead but dropped three straight to sink into a 3-2 hole, ultimately falling in Game 7 last Monday night.

“I want to first thank Gerard for his work and commitment to the Rangers during his time as head coach,” said general manager Chris Drury. “I have a ton of respect for Gerard as both a coach and person and truly appreciate everything he did for us on and off the ice these last two seasons.

After my evaluation of the season and discussions with Gerard, we mutually came to the conclusion that a change would be beneficial for both parties. I wish he and his family all the best in the future. Our search for a new head coach will begin right away.”

The 59-year-old took over as Rangers head coach in June of 2021, replacing David Quinn, who served as bench boss from 2018 to 2021.

Prior to his time with the Rangers, Gallant coached the Columbus Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers, and Vegas Golden Knights for three seasons apiece. Gallant took the expansion Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season in 2017-18.

A head coach for 705 NHL regular-season games over parts of 11 seasons, Gallant owns a career record of 369-262-4-70.

As a player, the Summerside, P.E.I., native was a veteran of 11 NHL seasons for the Detroit Red Wings and Tampa Bay Lightning, tallying 211 goals and 480 points in 615 regular-season games

45 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I don't like it at all. You cannot fire 23 players so the coach gets whacked.

Yea. Pretty stupid. They shouldn’t have been surprised that bringing in older super stars didn’t work out. 
That kind of influx seldom does, but it must be the coach. 
Maybe my Wild can pick him up. 

• Like 1

Drury explaining that he's not ready to be a GM yet.

"Mutually agreed" is such nonsense. You didn't want him around so he didn't want to stay.

Go hire Joel Quenneville and we'll know we have the better of the two from Buffalo on the ice and in the GM office.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

Surprising move.  The pundits were talking about it on “NHL Tonight”.  He has a pretty good win percentage and probably didn’t deserve to be fired.

All 3 finalists for the 2022 Jack Adams are now unemployed, (as head coaches).  That’s just crazy!

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Surprising move.  The pundits were talking about it on “NHL Tonight”.  He has a pretty good win percentage and probably didn’t deserve to be fired.

All 3 finalists for the 2022 Jack Adams are now unemployed, (as head coaches).  That’s just crazy!

The weird thing about Gallant is that this seems to keep happening.

The end was stunning in both Florida and Vegas. I don't know but what is it about him that keeps making front offices jettison an otherwise seemingly successful coach in each of the last three stops.

It seems in Florida and New York it is the infatuation with the molester enabler.  But it was Vegas, too, so I don't get it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

this seems to keep happening.

I don't know but what is it about him that keeps making front offices jettison an otherwise seemingly successful coach

Would it surprise you to learn that perhaps front offices don't like it when he starts replacing all the vending machine items with granola bars and all the coffee machines with veggie smoothie makers??
I know LOTS of offices where that would get one drawn and quartered... :ph34r: 

But what a nice, polite, politically correct society we live in now, eh?

Remember when it used to be "Coach X was fired (no, not OUR @CoachX :bigteeth: )......or "Coach Z canned"...I mean, these would be the headlines.
Even just "FIRED" in huge front sports page letters!

Now everyone seems to be "mutually parting ways", or "agreeing to pursue other avenues".

Good grief....how DO comedians make a living nowadays??

:ph34r: 

-I don't think he was the problem with the Rangers, but when your PP goes 1 for 13 and you made zero adjustments, this is the sort of thing that can happen. I get the move, but I don't really think it was necessary.

@Hockey Junkie - I also doubt it was mutual, but was announced that way out of respect for Gallant.

34 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't think he was the problem with the Rangers, but when your PP goes 1 for 13 and you made zero adjustments,

Or when the players are deliberately not adjusting...

The players apparently got their wish.

:hocky:

One Name Keeps Coming Up As "Safe Choice" For Rangers Head Coaching Vacancy

The New York Rangers are currently in the market for a new head coach, and there is one name that continues to surface as a "safe choice": Peter Laviolette.

According to Rangers' reporter Vince Mercogliano, Laviolette is being widely considered for the position.

Despite his recent departure from the Washington Capitals, where they missed the playoffs after a long streak of postseason appearances, Laviolette's track record as an NHL coach speaks for itself.

With an impressive coaching career spanning over 19 years, including a Stanley Cup championship with the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes and appearances in the Cup final with the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers and 2017 Nashville Predators, Laviolette brings a wealth of experience and success to the table.