Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

Samifan

Welp, I guess we'll have to change our popcorn jokes to milkshake jokes.

I like Jonesy, he isn't the kind of hire I was looking to see though.

I hope it works.

If the firm interviewed a bunch of candidates and he wound up with the job he must have been pretty impressive.

It's not like he's a dumbass, he would have a boatload of contacts from his broadcasting days.

This smacks of more of the same; so all the voices will keep singing their favorite songs, rightfully so, I suppose. 

Like I said I hope it works, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

He and Briere are from a different generation than the old guard. They may think a little differently. 

If the hydrogen catches a spark, I won't be shocked.

nbc GIF by Timeless

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

• pilldoc changed the title to Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

What does president of hockey ops do? Does he get involved with scouting, drafting, and development? Who is his boss and who is he the boss of.

I like Jonesy and I think he's very smart. I just don't know what he will add.

• Like 1

Good Morning:

I will echo Chris Maher's sentiment on his YouTube channel and restate the obvious: Every new hire deserves a chance.  That said, I think this organization has a congenital fear and loathing to hiring outsiders.  This is supposed to be a new era.  Oh yeah.

As I understand it, the President of Operations for Flyers will be the face of the franchise.  Well, I suspect a long-time NHL commentator with playing experience should excel in that role.  But from a broader perspective, the President of Hockey Operations is supposed to be a big picture, strategic planner, leaving day-to-day to the GM.  Do Keith's background and ties with the organization lend themselves to that role?  TBD at best.  I think this hire may reflect an understanding of how alienated the fanbase is, and that a familiar and sincere voice will regain trust among the faithful.  

We know that all parties understand the depth of our erosion/decay.  Patience will be needed.  I guess the question is intermediate benchmarks, like quality of farm system or performance of newly acquired players.  But even that will be murky.  Jones and Briere will need to show progress in 2-3 years, even if that isn't reflected in standings.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

He's the General Manager's direct boss. It's basically a catch-all management position, and the exact job details can vary from team to team, but all on staff answer to him. POHO meets with the GM, coaches, scouts, etc, and helps guide the principles/goals the team has in mind. He'll often attend his own team's games, sometimes do some scouting. It's usually a job for people with a long and rich history in all of those positions listed above.

A career arc of player to broadcaster to President of Hockey Operations is an absolutely strange and bizarre thing.

Ok. Next question - who hires him? I thought the GM would hire him, but if he's Danny's boss, Danny didn't hire him. Dave Scott left, so who makes that hire.

Again, I like Keith Jones, but this seems very odd.  One day they'll do something like this, it will work, and they'll be the gold standard of the league.

6 minutes ago, icehole said:

One day they'll do something like this, it will work, and they'll be the gold standard of the league.

One day they'll do this and it will work, and it will be just like Fletcher drafting Kaprizov....pure fluke. 

• Like 2

Hey look, I'm willing to see what happens. 

It could surprise us all.

So, while I'm skeptical of this hire from the jump, I am willing to let Jonesy and Lil' Paul McCartney do their thing and see if they can revive this franchise.

I think @Howie58 makes a strong point vis a vis the alienation of the fanbase. I don't know if Rejean or Doug comes into this morass and has the cache to speak to enraged season ticket holders the way Jonesy will. 

Jonesy has been a reliable narrator to the last 10 years or so of Flyers hockey.

He hasn't been Joe Bandwagon and has pointed out when things are pretty ****ed up. Remember the hot mic Dale Weiss has got to go comments.

All I can think of is he said the same things that these "outsiders" did regarding team building and how he's going to move forward. If all things were equal, why not hire a guy with ties to the team and the community?

I am not going to defend the club here. We don't know what's going to happen, everyone is entitled to their feelings. If you're pissed, that's allowed. I'm going to see what happens with as little judgement as possible.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

I mean, Barry Melrose and Mike Millbury are right there.

I think they would have been best served reuniting Barry and John Buccigross though but they missed out on their chances!!!

• Like 1

LOVE JONESY.

Seems most are down on his hire, not sure why since none know exactly what that position entails.  It can't be THAT difficult, can it?

At least you know he cares...not much solace maybe but I got excited when I heard.

You know the guy works hard, every time you turn on anything hockey related, he's there, at all hours of the day, does he ever sleep?

Anyway, let's give him a shot before 💩'ing on the hire. 

PLUS, he's just an all-around good dude. 😄

• Like 2