Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

Samifan

8 hours ago, tucson83 said:

you dont get it, well, point to me who is the next joe sakic or steve y then? hextall? dubus? Treliving? Botterill? brad holland? none of these guys are clear upgrades, they havent won nothing. like i said if you want a cup gm, you have to hire that guy that did it and they are not easy to acquire. i mean whoever they hire it's going to be a question mark right now because there are no clear upgrades, so yeah if briere fails then you have to be patient for that guy, sorry but that's just the way it is in hockey. it's not easy to build a championship when there's a salary cap and the right players have to be there in fa or trades.

when there was no salary cap it was easy to build a championship because you can get stars for nothing, now it's harder with the salary cap because you have to rely on picks and spend on the right players. dont blame me, im just pointing out facts, blame the system by the nhl that made it harder.

You told us Fletcher had fixed our D when they acquired DeAngelo and Ristolainen.

Pardon us if we think you don't know anything about hockey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

You told us Fletcher had fixed our D when they acquired DeAngelo and Ristolainen.

Pardon us if we think you don't know anything about hockey.

im not talking about fletcher, im talking about who are the upgrades? if you know anything about hockey you should tell me.

22 hours ago, tucson83 said:

you dont get it, well, point to me who is the next joe sakic or steve y then? hextall? dubus? Treliving? Botterill? brad holland? none of these guys are clear upgrades, they havent won nothing. like i said if you want a cup gm, you have to hire that guy that did it and they are not easy to acquire. i mean whoever they hire it's going to be a question mark right now because there are no clear upgrades, so yeah if briere fails then you have to be patient for that guy, sorry but that's just the way it is in hockey. it's not easy to build a championship when there's a salary cap and the right players have to be there in fa or trades.

when there was no salary cap it was easy to build a championship because you can get stars for nothing, now it's harder with the salary cap because you have to rely on picks and spend on the right players. dont blame me, im just pointing out facts, blame the system by the nhl that made it harder.

No GM is a cup winner until they win it, THE FIRST TIME. Just because a guy did it once, doesn't mean he will do it again. Are you actually saying the only way to win a cup, is with a GM who previously did? Oh, in case it escaped you, the Flyers had Hextall, you know, the cup winner in LA? How'd that work out?

I feel like you showed up late to the party and decided to have the same conversation we all already finished. I just don't get what your point is.

And one last thing...if it was easy to build a championship pre salary cap, why didn't the Flyers do it?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

the Flyers had Hextall, you know, the cup winner in LA? How'd that work out?

Not to mention Senior Hockey Advisor Dean Lombardi who was the actual GM of that LA team.

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I feel like you showed up late to the party and decided to have the same conversation we all already finished.

Exactly.

We're going to give it a shot because honestly we don't have any choice but to give it a shot.

The "former Flyers" aspect isn't "a good look".

The change will come with action, not words.

Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night | Picture Quotes

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

The question is are the Flyers motivated to dump Ristolainen? I like to think Tortorella’s on board and wants him gone but the other two? And god forbid if the Old Guard is still chiming in…

Image result for NOOOOOO

image.jpeg.1fdc7767f7aff517234c67e37ae11722.jpeg

image.jpeg.175dec0b34d98ea4168aad9068a707f1.jpeg

Image result for NOOOOOO

On 5/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

The question is are the Flyers motivated to dump Ristolainen? I like to think Tortorella’s on board and wants him gone but the other two? And god forbid if the Old Guard is still chiming in…

Image result for NOOOOOO

image.jpeg.1fdc7767f7aff517234c67e37ae11722.jpeg

image.jpeg.175dec0b34d98ea4168aad9068a707f1.jpeg

Image result for NOOOOOO

Edited by Cheesesteak
DANGIT

On 5/22/2023 at 10:48 AM, CoachX said:

No GM is a cup winner until they win it, THE FIRST TIME. Just because a guy did it once, doesn't mean he will do it again. Are you actually saying the only way to win a cup, is with a GM who previously did? Oh, in case it escaped you, the Flyers had Hextall, you know, the cup winner in LA? How'd that work out?

I feel like you showed up late to the party and decided to have the same conversation we all already finished. I just don't get what your point is.

And one last thing...if it was easy to build a championship pre salary cap, why didn't the Flyers do it?

im the one that said hextall was a terrible hire and that it wasnt going to work:

On 5/21/2023 at 10:04 AM, tucson83 said:

you are getting from the candidates available is pretty much the same thing as what you got from hextall and fletch, like you have to develop your staff as some point and not try to take someone else from another team because you have no clue what you are getting from that person like hextall, everyone thought we were getting that la structure from hextall which turns out we didnt, cant make that same mistake again.

my point is, you dont like briere and jones so what are the better candidates out there? they are pretty such the same structure as we have with hextall and fletch, all spend to the cap and not focus on depth.

yes, winning cup gms dont mean anything but they have structure of a roster that can get this team out of the first round and beyond, that's what you want. the gms available right now dont have that structure, that's why they went briere and jones because they have a different structure than these gms. and yes i would still go after those gms of florida, carolina, dallas and vegas if they are available a few years because they have the right structure to win.

if you cant be patient for a few years, then why are rooting for this team then because winning takes patience, it's not something you can just fix overnight because you need the right players.

I realize he can’t “tamper” but you think there is any chance Jonesy has been recruiting while he has been between the benches for the ECF? 

On behalf of the OrganEYEzaySHUN, I hope he at least apologized to Bob for the Flyers giving up on him in favor of Bryzgalov. 
*FU Homer!

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

How's 48 years?

48 years patient enough for you?

:hocky:

No shite rad....guy who doesn't know what he's talking about telling fans of decades and decades to have patience. 

My patience is dead of old age.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

it's not something you can just fix overnight because you need the right players.

and I'm really looking forward to seeing who Jones and Briere think are "the right players."

28 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

if you cant be patient for a few years,

It isn't about Flyers' fans having patience it's about the same tired old formula year after year getting us nowhere. One fluke run in 2010...which fell short.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It isn't about Flyers' fans having patience it's about the same tired old formula year after year getting us nowhere. One fluke run in 2010...which fell short.

There was the Finals run in 2010.

The 2008 Conference Final.

The 2004 Conference Final.

The 2000 Conference Final.

The 1997 Swept Final.

Then we're 35 years ago.

"Patience"

Let's not ever forget the indelible and monumental achievement of the past 12 years when the skies opened, the sun shone down, the angels blew trumpets from the heavens and they won a playoff round.

"Patience"

• Like 3

im the one that said hextall was a terrible hire and that it wasnt going to work:

Good for you. You also said to win a cup, you have to hire a GM who already won a cup. You contradicted yourself. Good work!

my point is, you dont like briere and jones so what are the better candidates out there?

anyone who wasn't a former Flyer player. Being beholden to the BobbyBunch:smallTM: has killed this franchise

if you cant be patient for a few years, then why are rooting for this team then because winning takes patience, it's not something you can just fix overnight because you need the right players.

you act like I have a choice or say in the matter. I, we (forum fans) don't. You are aware of this, yes? They hired who they hired. Its done and over with. Whether or not I like it is irrelevant

like you have to develop your staff as some point and not try to take someone else from another team because you have no clue what you are getting from that person

you wrote the above statement. It really confuses me. It sounds like you are saying the Flyers need to develop their "staff" from within. Otherwise you have to hire from somewhere else (another team). Another contradiction? I dunno. Like I said, I'm confused. It seems to me by constantly hiring from within the organization, that the "develop your staff" idea has been there since Clarke took off his skates. And it has decimated this franchise. The only modern day franchise I am aware of, that has promoted one of their former players to GM while winning a cup, is Joe Sakic. I know you are all ga-ga over Stevie Y, but has he won a cup as an executive? Let me give you a hint, its no.

I think you are arguing just to argue.

Knowing Hextall, if he'd of still been the GM we might of had Beddard as a real shot, to go along with a many, many-many draft picks.

Also 40Mill in Cap space, would the fanbase have moved to the Carolinas? That's a valid question.

GM Hextall 2027 @ the First Union SpectrumCast:

Allotta' scarred fans, who went through heartaches and disappointments through are era's of Orange and Black, the highs of being in a Parade of an improbable first expansion team to win it so fast(even back to back), to only quagmire, in efforts, decades after decades of hopes gone bad. Keep the pecker up Boys! don't give up on us just yet.. Don't harden your hearts....

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 12:50 AM, LegionOfDoom said:

Allotta' scarred fans, who went through heartaches and disappointments through are era's of Orange and Black, the highs of being in a Parade of an improbable first expansion team to win it so fast(even back to back), to only quagmire, in efforts, decades after decades of hopes gone bad. Keep the pecker up Boys! don't give up on us just yet.. Don't harden your hearts....

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Quarterflash? good lord…

LOL ... I remember this song from the early 80's when I was in Jr. High School ...... damn I am getting old.... LOL

• pilldoc unpinned this topic