Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

Samifan

12 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

LOVE JONESY.

I'm perfectly fine with Jonsey as a player and an announcer. We'll see how he does as an executive - he and Danny have the chance now.

I am perfectly happy to "wait and see" while also acknowledging the striking "old way" the "new direction" has taken.

But maybe the Comcast Spectacor exec in his first position hiring a former player as President of Hockey Operations in his first position to oversee a former player as General Manager in his first NHL position will work out fine.

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

• Like 3

Again, I think this duo deserves a chance.  It's the concern that insiders are fearful of speaking truth to power for fear of offending a current or former colleague.  You'd hope there's internal checks and balances on big trades, long-term signings, or high draft pick choices. Will Danny, Keith, and their respective staff have the courage to tell one another that a move looks terrible from their vantage?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

What does this even mean?  They have the jobs already.

Well, they have a chance to perform admirably, terribly, or anywhere along that range.  We shouldn't say because they are insiders they are doomed to failure.  They may do well.  But I and others fear the chance of success are lowered because insiders may be less likely to call each other out or criticize.  The other, probably less obvious problem I raised a few days ago is mindset.  These folks have pre-cap era roots.  Outsiders--may have come of age in franchises where the cap has always been a factor.  

• Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We shouldn't say because they are insiders they are doomed to failure.

I don't think you heard @mojo1917 correctly:

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

They're not doomed to failure, they're gonna get there on their own...

:hocky:

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm perfectly fine with Jonsey as a player and an announcer. We'll see how he does as an executive - he and Danny have the chance now.

I am perfectly happy to "wait and see" while also acknowledging the striking "old way" the "new direction" has taken.

But maybe the Comcast Spectacor exec in his first position hiring a former player as President of Hockey Operations in his first position to oversee a former player as General Manager in his first NHL position will work out fine.

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

I've lost absolutely nothing by this. I'm already a season and a half from watching. This hiring isnt going to make me tune back in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

What, be the third best player on every line they were on and take hooking penalties in the offensive zone, respectively?

YES! that's it exactly. That is exactly what I expect them to do.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

26 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I've lost absolutely nothing by this. I'm already a season and a half from watching. This hiring isnt going to make me tune back in

I went to a game this year (my wife's company had more than 50% off lower bowl, after Fletch left - and they were playing the Sabres)

Watched maybe a handful of minutes on telebision.

There's no Executive Hire that's getting me excited.

What the executives do is what I'm waiting to see.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Hey look, I'm willing to see what happens. 

It could surprise us all.

So, while I'm skeptical of this hire from the jump, I am willing to let Jonesy and Lil' Paul McCartney do their thing and see if they can revive this franchise.

I think @Howie58 makes a strong point vis a vis the alienation of the fanbase. I don't know if Rejean or Doug comes into this morass and has the cache to speak to enraged season ticket holders the way Jonesy will. 

Jonesy has been a reliable narrator to the last 10 years or so of Flyers hockey.

He hasn't been Joe Bandwagon and has pointed out when things are pretty ****ed up. Remember the hot mic Dale Weiss has got to go comments.

All I can think of is he said the same things that these "outsiders" did regarding team building and how he's going to move forward. If all things were equal, why not hire a guy with ties to the team and the community?

I am not going to defend the club here. We don't know what's going to happen, everyone is entitled to their feelings. If you're pissed, that's allowed. I'm going to see what happens with as little judgement as possible.

Well, you know how it is; it's easy to get all doom and gloom and see almost every move as a catastrophe.

image.png

I think the Flyers have mostly been operating under the Bad Process / Bad Result section for awhile now, and my guess is that hiring a man with no relevant experience for the position is more likely to end up as a Poetic Justice situation.

But it might not, and I hope that's how it works out.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Again, I think this duo deserves a chance.

Not trying to pile on you Howie, but I can't agree with this. Neither DB or KJ have done anything to "DESERVE" a chance. You don't deserve just by being hired. You should have to earn. They WILL GET a chance. We all know that. We have no choice but to sit back and watch, or stop following the team. Maybe if they had accomplished something worthy of the position they were hired for, then I could see them being deserving. But just walking in the door does no get you applause. Fix it! Then you can talk about what you deserve

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Not trying to pile on you Howie, but I can't agree with this. Neither DB or KJ have done anything to "DESERVE" a chance. You don't deserve just by being hired. You should have to earn. They WILL GET a chance. We all know that. We have no choice but to sit back and watch, or stop following the team. Maybe if they had accomplished something worthy of the position they were hired for, then I could see them being deserving. But just walking in the door does no get you applause. Fix it! Then you can talk about what you deserve

Your point is very well taken and articulate.  And I would have preferred outsiders.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Welp, I guess we'll have to change our popcorn jokes to milkshake jokes.

I like Jonesy, he isn't the kind of hire I was looking to see though.

I hope it works.

If the firm interviewed a bunch of candidates and he wound up with the job he must have been pretty impressive.

It's not like he's a dumbass, he would have a boatload of contacts from his broadcasting days.

This smacks of more of the same; so all the voices will keep singing their favorite songs, rightfully so, I suppose. 

Like I said I hope it works, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

He and Briere are from a different generation than the old guard. They may think a little differently. 

If the hydrogen catches a spark, I won't be shocked.

nbc GIF by Timeless

Ohhh the humanity!!!!

• Like 1