Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

Samifan

14 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Perhaps they can't find anyone else who wants to head up this dumpster fire of a hockey team so they have to look closer to 'home'.  You couldn't pay me enough to do it. 

Oh I'd do it if asked.

It would be fun, just from the fan getting to run things perspective. 

I would definitely eat all the Shake Shack I could.

Not solely directed at you, but for the group.

Usually the dudes on Snow the Goalie look at this team with a jaundiced eye. Therrien especially was stoked by this news.

Said it is a great day for the team and it's fans Jonesy will be great.

I've never heard Bundy so excited,  Ant mentioned several times that the Flyers are trying something new, in regard to the leadership structure  and that is what fans have been clamoring for. Even Russ had very little criticism,  although he did bring up a good point about Tortorella having outsized influence.

In essence having an inverted power pyramid. 

It was a good listen, striking by Therrien's enthusiasm,  which he admitted was in part good feelings for his buddy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I heard some rumors, unofficially from some sources.

How I think they might do it, though, is by packaging players and our 1st round pick and extra picks to maybe move up two spots, though the odds are stacked against them(A 3 team deal). This is were Jones relationship/connections will come to the foray. That sneaky devil....you.

I really don't see the point of doing this, unless one of the top 4 (I think this draft is clearly a #1....then 2,3,4...........then 5,6,7,8,9,10ish) falls to 5 (not counting Michkov who is likely to fall who knows where, but someone is going to get a steal if he ever comes over). Moving up for anyone other than Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith unless they do really covet Michkov seems, well, Fletcher-like. Giving away assets for no real reason. Picks 5-10 all seem like a crapshoot as to who's better. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

striking by Therrien's enthusiasm,  which he admitted was in part good feelings for his buddy.

Hey I would be excited too if you got the position. Much like Therrien for Jones. Doesn't mean it was a smart hiring

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Hey I would be excited too if you got the position. Much like Therrien for Jones.

and there it is - the problem: doing favors for friends and alumni, regardless of the effect on the team.

I know this is old news. It's just that@CoachX's post struck me as the perfect way to sum up what's been wrong with the Flyers for too goddamn long.

Keith Jones. Nice guy, knows how to talk NHL hockey. Good enough. Welcome aboard Mr. President.

In the immortal words of some band from the '80s ('90s?)..."Funk dat!"

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I really don't see the point of doing this, unless one of the top 4 (I think this draft is clearly a #1....then 2,3,4...........then 5,6,7,8,9,10ish) falls to 5 (not counting Michkov who is likely to fall who knows where, but someone is going to get a steal if he ever comes over). Moving up for anyone other than Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith unless they do really covet Michkov seems, well, Fletcher-like. Giving away assets for no real reason. Picks 5-10 all seem like a crapshoot as to who's better. 

I also do worry about this move but sometimes in overenthusiasm, this marks a move a, "I'm going to show that we are aggressive." but to constrict this thought, Briere, is, a calculating guy, team that up with Keith's thriftiness with his assets, might not end up pulling that trigger. This year, Danny said all bets are on the table! I will see this draft with a little more intrigue than years gone by. It's almost like the draft lottery, hoping for the better position and not perturbation of our assets(our draft pick getting worse).

On a side note*: Optically Torts was a Fletcher hire(rumored to be begrudged), so if one of the 5 heads gets lopped off, it could be the first to be cannibalized.

*The Folks Back Home Won't Believe this: Memoirs of a concerned Power Fit Structure.

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

The idea that Danny Briere is a calculated guy is laughable.

He had little man syndrome on the ice.  Big bad guy took the puck from me, I gotta let him know by hooking him.

The guy was a mercenary.  Please.

Spoken like a guy that got hooked in the nads a few times.

Briere calculated that hook, spear, and crosscheck. I don't do that, I'll just knock their ass down in front of the scene, penalty or none. If it's a game time moment, your marked on the next play.

I'll say it again, as unpopular as it is and was, Rinaldo made the Flyers opponents pay the fiddler.

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

Game changing hit up 4-0, major for charging, same old, same old.

The only one I can concede about that is Carbomb and his fight with a Pens player we eventually nabbed, the following year.......ssssssshhhhhh!

I don't know if any out there has been in situations that in working with groups procleaves:

It is a burden and a drench to the spirit when you have people that don't show up to do their part of the team/group dynamic. I've dealt with both sides of that team.

The point is that the parts to this 5 headed monster is that each head will "show up" to do their part as a group. It won't be perfect, but every one has an accountability to each other and they don't want to fail the group, the fans, the city and the Legacy that is....being a Flyer.

• Like 1