Official…Keith Jones named President of Hockey Operations

Samifan

... or you can hear and heed the words that same coach has spoken since late October, taken note of the players who actually played this season and see that quote for what it is. 

JvR's contract with the Flyers will end. 

He's the past. 

If a coach said nice things about him while he was here, it must mean he wasn't an asshole, even though his play wasn't great. 

People consistently see the worst in just about everything anyone does or says when it comes to the Flyers. 

So sure, go with the worst ideation you can muster and agree with those that are or may be worse FFS.

War News GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by mojo1917

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

... or you can hear and heed the words that same coach has spoken since late October, taken note of the players who actually played this season and see that quote for what it is. 

JvR's contract with the Flyers will end. 

He's the past. 

If a coach said nice things about him while he was here, it must mean he wasn't an asshole, even though his play wasn't great. 

People consistently see the worst in just about everything anyone does or says when it comes to the Flyers. 

So sure, go with the worst ideation you can muster and agree with those that are may be worse FFS.

War News GIF by MOODMAN

If JVR was a good guy....great. But when he's making SEVEN MILLION A YEAR it's for playing good hockey, which he wasn't, not so great. 

I get that he was offered that contract, and of course I'd take it too. And I'd bust my ass for that money. 

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So sure, go with the worst ideation you can muster and agree with those that are or may be worse FFS

Ha ha ha! You just quoted my life motto! 

I also like to admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter accusations 

• Haha 1

@flyercanuck

I find context to be important when communicating.

In spite of all the technology available, nuance and context are casualties of the information age.

One would think with more tech and therefore time; folks would take the opportunity to gather significant information about the things they're talking about. 

That doesn't seem to happen too often and so here we are in the year of our lord 2023 a bunch of monkeys throwing crap at each other from our well staked out turf.

The quote where Tortorella was praising James had to do with his professionalism and preparation. He noted James wouldn't be playing much, but then praised him for continuing to be a positive influence and mentor to the young players both in practice and on the bench where he found his ass stapled. 

It was a grownup kindness that Torts was showing JvR, who was really disappointed he wasn't traded but didn't let that affect his demeanor around the club.

How this got translated to Torts wanting to keep JvR I'll never know.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

So, you're saying you agree with Torts and want JVR to stay?

That's how it's done.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@flyercanuck

I find context to be important when communicating.

In spite of all the technology available, nuance and context are casualties of the information age.

One would think with more tech and therefore time; folks would take the opportunity to gather significant information about the things they're talking about. 

That doesn't seem to happen too often and so here we are in the year of our lord 2023 a bunch of monkeys throwing crap at each other from our well staked out turf.

The quote where Tortorella was praising James had to do with his professionalism and preparation. He noted James wouldn't be playing much, but then praised him for continuing to be a positive influence and mentor to the young players both in practice and on the bench where he found his ass stapled. 

It was a grownup kindness that Torts was showing JvR, who was really disappointed he wasn't traded but didn't let that affect his demeanor around the club.

I'm glad you caught the nuance, though to me it seemed like normal communication and Torts didn't need to espouse any further claration to throw his praise on how he saw JVR's professionalism and what it means to be a professional in how you carry yourself day to day on and off the ice.

Are Young Pups of Philly need those role models...

21 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

yeah as @radoran said it's simple. I did it (almost) when I read @flyercanuck's post and assumed it was a recent comment...and a necessary PR precursor to offering JVR a new contract...

but I shoulda known better... let's recall that @flyercanuck said he wants to see Kevin Hayes as the Flyers GM in a few years... 😆

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if true we should hope to see some aggressive moves on the defense...addition by subtraction?

If they move on from TDA and Risto well it will perk my interest for real. We'll see...

Didn't Jones say he likes Ristolainen?

Which pretty much throws the "advanced back end" idea out the window. 

Unless he likes him back in Buffalo. 

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they move on from TDA and Risto well it will perk my interest for real. We'll see..

TDA is gone after next season anyway and I think they look for a mutual parting of the ways.

Briere doesn't have Fletch's baggage, just his mess. He didn't spend anything on TDA so getting something back only really needs to be better than nothing.

It will also show that he's a different guy than Fletch by getting the player out of the doghouse where Fletch c/wouldn't move JVR.

The thing about Jonsey:smallTM: here is that they have half the defense signed at large money for term. Provorov, Sanheim, and Ristolainen by their deals should be premiere blue liners.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He said on a Flyers broadcast while being paid by the Flyers that he liked some of what Ristolainen brought.

Or something like that.

Now he's the guy doing the paying so we'll see what the actual line is.

I have a feeling they deal Provorov before either Sanheim or Ristolainen...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

TDA is gone after next season anyway and I think they look for a mutual parting of the ways.

Briere doesn't have Fletch's baggage, just his mess. He didn't spend anything on TDA so getting something back only really needs to be better than nothing.

It will also show that he's a different guy than Fletch by getting the player out of the doghouse where Fletch c/wouldn't move JVR.

The thing about Jonsey:smallTM: here is that they have half the defense signed at large money for term. Provorov, Sanheim, and Ristolainen by their deals should be premiere blue liners.

He said on a Flyers broadcast while being paid by the Flyers that he liked some of what Ristolainen brought.

Or something like that.

They can deal all 3 of them....as long as they're for top 10 picks. 😉

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Which pretty much throws the "advanced back end" idea out the window. 

Unless he likes him back in Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Or something like that.

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can neither confirmed or deny that.

Haven't seen it. Did you see that?

I did not hear the podcast. Going to take @radoran word for it ... but ...

https://theathletic.com/4507991/2023/05/10/keith-jones-flyers-daniel-briere-hire/

"And like Briere, Jones is another former Flyer. He’s part of the club, in other words, that tends to have strong beliefs regarding the way the Flyers should be built and play. Jones is a knowledgeable hockey guy, but anyone who has watched locally televised Flyers games for the last half-decade and noted his love of players like Rasmus Ristolainen (long before the Flyers traded for him) will know that he’s very much a Hockey Guy in the traditional sense. For all his strengths as a candidate and a person, he’s not exactly going to be bringing a fresh, outsider perspective to the brain trust mix."

Take FWIW .... 

Look guys and gals,

coming from someone who has been watching hockey since the late 80s, at first just the playoffs, then since the Lindros/LeClair era for real and at some point I played EA sports NHL which made watching hockey SO much better since I learned some of the rules, like icing and offsides.  Before EA sports I'd always wonder why the hell they would just stop the game, in my eyes "for no reason" haha.  I learned to follow the puck a bit better too, which also helped, and I've loved watching ever since then.   

I got a bit off track, haha...all the above to say, I've been watching a long time and I still don't know that much about the inner-workings of the game sad to say but I still love it, up until the past few seasons.

I don't know how Jonesy and Briere are going to do, no one does, BUT, it's a start. 

We ALL wished from Fletch to be gone, and he is.  Take solace in that.   

We are still two years from two years away but it's certain that in four years, they will be better off then the direction they were going.

With these hires, at least it wasn't the same people that hired Chuck.

Their course has changed and it HAS to be better.  :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

And if not, I'll be right where I am now, disinterested and unengaged in the game on the ice. :lookssad:

• Like 2