NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Eastern Conference Finals: Carolina (M1) vs. Florida (WC) - (Florida wins series 4-0)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Eastern Conference Finals: Carolina (M1) vs. Toronto (A2) or Florida (WC)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Hurricanes sweeps in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Panthers sweep in 4*
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

Well, Bennett was right behind him. Burns couldn't shoot the puck down to the Panthers zone. Did you want him to hold it on the boards a bit?

This is two games in a row now. Tkachuk scores the game winner after Brent Burns does what he does.

I was wondering why he was on that side of the ice any ways you get out of position and well you get scored on.

Pretty amazing roll they’re on…from barely qualifying to the ECF. Reminds me of the Flyers when they took out Boston in R2 after going down 3-0 in the series (and 3-0 in G7). Similar kind of “destiny” feeling about the Panthers this year. Can they keep it going on home ice? I don’t see why not.

I hesitate to call the Florida Panthers a 'Cinderella' team, although how they played their season, how they got into the playoffs, their playoff seeding once there, and the position they find themselves in after beating two heavily favored teams would suggest they are.

Florida had been building towards Cup Contenders status for the past three seasons prior to this one....taking steps forward each and every season.
Until this season, when they made "The Trade", and seemingly upset their team balance and dynamic by losing Huberdeau (a HUGE part of their offensive engine and fan favorite) and Weegar (a solid, all purpose defenseman), for bringing in the likes of Matthew Tkachuk.

It may have taken the Panthers all season to fully integrate Tkachuk into their system and change anything they did when they ran the offense through Huberdeau, but the results thus far have shown they most certainly have.

Also helps that guys like Carter Verhaeghe continue to show their criminally underrated skillset, and Sergei Bobrovsky has FINALLY shown himself to be a viable playoff goaltender after years of great regular seasons and "meh" postseason performances.
And oh yea, some guy named Alex Barkov with some good offense too....you might have heard of him. :shifty: 

The sheer will, grit and obstinance of guys like Tkachuk, Gudas, and Bennett cannot be overstated either.

So while the Panthers are deservedly the underdogs in each and every match up so far, I'd say they are EXACTLY where they should have been along....or at least, how they were projected to be before the season started.

Interesting thing is, the Carolina Hurricanes themselves, ALSO, started on a Cup Contender journey right around the same time as Florida, and they did NOT take steps backwards, are in the same position as the Panthers, though obviously, Florida has the big advantage at the current time.

Boston had a fine, fine season, but honestly, came out of NOWHERE to do what they did....the Leafs are the freakin Leafs.... other teams like the Lightning and Rangers probably were due for some regression while they figured some things out and made adjustments to compensate for the improved competition, NJ was still too new to the party, and the Isles, well, seems they were just out of gas.

So some things have broken right so far for the Panthers....but also, they EARNED their way to where they are.
If I were to pick a team they remind me of, it would be that LA Kings team that ended up being an 8th seed....then went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Sneaky good...and under EVERYONE'S radar....though they probably shouldn't have been so underrated.

Will the Panthers achieve what those Kings did?
That is what we will have to wait n see.
Carolina still has something to say about it...and even if Florida gets by them, I think they can expect stiff competition in the Finals from either the Stars or Knights for the right to call the Stanley Cup theirs.

• Good Post 2

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Eastern Conference Finals: Carolina (M1) vs. Florida (WC) - (Florida leads series 2-0)