Yearly Flyers Poll (Topic of Rebuild) - As done by Charlie O'Connor - The Athletic

pilldoc

Poll Questions PT 2  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the decision to openly embrace a rebuild mentality in terms of team construction and strategy?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your biggest concern regarding the planned rebuild?

• Lack of faith in Ownership
    • Lack of faith by the Triumvarate (Hilfarey/Jones/Briere)
    • Lack of faith by Coaches (Torts, etc ..)
    • Lack of faith in current rebuilding plan (rebuild but not tank)
  3. 3. Do you want the Flyers to tank on the level of “The Process” executed by the Sixers, or do you agree with Briere that a rebuild does not need to include a full-scale fire sale of every player, particularly those under the age of 25?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. What do you view as a reasonable target date for the “end” of a successful rebuild, when the Flyers should be pivoting back into a strategy that involves actively attempting to improve the NHL roster and expending valuable assets to do so?

• 2024 offseason
    • 2025 offseason
    • 2026 offseason
    • 2027 offseason
    • 2028 offseason or later
  5. 5. When do you think will be the next time the Flyers make the playoffs?

• 2023-24 season
    • 2024-25 season
    • 2025-26 season
    • 2026-27 season
    • 2027-28 season or later

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Many of us would be a whole lot smarter if we just agreed with you, Howie :cheers:

Coach: As my mom used to say, be careful what you wish for. My mind is not what it wae 11 years ago when we ran from Philly.com.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Coach: As my mom used to say, be careful what you wish for. My mind is not what it wae 11 years ago when we ran from Philly.com.

Interesting...thats where I lost my mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, SCFlyguy said:

Briere hasn't made a single move yet.  It is all talk (that he hedged on).

Sure it's "all talk" right now - the SCF hasn't even started yet. But at least it's the right talk for once. You say he "hedged" and that's fair. I'd say the hedging - "it won't be a fire sale" - was total PR, something he basically had to say. But I understand why a Flyers' fan would be a little under-whelmed by that statement.

Me I believe the Flyers are serious about rebuilding the roster. I think they want to get out from under the Hayes contract and hopefully the Ristolainen and DeAngelo contracts as well. They'll let JVR walk ... beyond that I have no idea what they'll do. Maybe I'm naive but it does feel different this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure it's "all talk" right now - the SCF hasn't even started yet. But at least it's the right talk for once. You say he "hedged" and that's fair. I'd say the hedging - "it won't be a fire sale" - was total PR, something he basically had to say. But I understand why a Flyers' fan would be a little under-whelmed by that statement.

Me I believe the Flyers are serious about rebuilding the roster. I think they want to get out from under the Hayes contract and hopefully the Ristolainen and DeAngelo contracts as well. They'll let JVR walk ... beyond that I have no idea what they'll do. Maybe I'm naive but it does feel different this time.

What makes me the happiest is it actually sounds like they are listening to the fans and are also too tired of the old way that has not produced squat.

These guys actually love the team/organization they once played for and know how Snider wanted things.

They don't want to just collect a paycheck and these two are also hungry because they never won a Cup as a player.

So now they get a 2nd chance to win one as management and that in my eyes is harder to do because the only way you can control things on the ice is who the players are you have collected as your "team" now has to do it for you.

It is not easy to do but we know it can be done with the right guys with the right plan and sticking to that plan.

Not making excuses and having to make hard decisions even when it comes to moving on from players they are attached too...one of the biggest changes i think in Howie Roseman and his improvements for the last few years - it isn't personal it is business.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

These guys actually love the team/organization they once played for and know how Snider wanted things.

I see what you're getting at, but I dont agree with this angle.

I dont think it's  that the  bobby-bunch:smallTM: doesnt "love" the team. I think it started out as ego driven, then morphed into priorities, and now is just clueless. They want the team to win, they just don't want anyone else to get the credit. And they want it done with their people around them. It's very much like how AL Davis ran the Raiders into ineptitude. Now they are all just old and probably can't walk ten feet without tripping over a sandbag

I also think we are so far removed from Snider, that he, or his memory, aren't even a consideration. In fact, today's team couldn't be manufactured the way Snider wanted. The league has changed too much

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I also think we are so far removed from Snider, that he, or his memory, aren't even a consideration.

I don't believe this to be true because Keith and Danny both mentioned this when talking to the media so it means something to them and well at this point with Homer and Bobby gone all that matters.

They i hope are more entuned with new style hockey and what they need a fresh young way of looking at the rebuild.

Actions will speak louder than words and as of now we just sit and wait...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

In fact, today's team couldn't be manufactured the way Snider wanted.

Also i don't ever recall him stated a way he wanted it manufactured...with him it always seemed like he didn't want to hear about the labor pains he just wanted to see the fukin baby!!!!!!

Or i have to total wrong read on this man the whole time...i too really only want to see the baby don't care how it gets here and what you went through to make it happen!!!

At least before i croak!!!

• Haha 1

I'm totally on board with what kjdb+ are saying. It sounds good. And they know the fans. They know what to say. They know we in large part go into a fever pitch over nostalgia. So if you want to win the fans over,  just start talking about how you want to do things the Snider way

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also i don't ever recall him stated a way he wanted it manufactured

What I was trying to say, was "build" a team, not manufacture. Snider wanted his teams built to dominate by force, intimidation, and skill.

Today all you can get is skill

• Like 1

I don’t know but I think intimidation still counts. It’s not the old school bench brawls and whatnot but teams and players still try to get into each other’s heads. But you’re right it’s all more or less linked to the skill a team, a player brings. Speed, hockey IQ are a thousand times more important now.

I totally think it counts. I would love to see the Flyers develop into a physical team again. I'm just saying that across the league, skill is the main factor. Any reference to Snider as it applies to today's hockey is just nostalgia

The Provorov trade, and possibly a Hart trade, assuming it's for more picks, will give the Flyers a chance to build a new team. It won't be a team Snider would've built 

The current crop of managers should respect and keep alive the dedication and passion that Ed Snider brought to the Flyers. They can’t model the roster on what he might’ve done as it’s a different era. But whatever else you can say about Ed Snider the guy absolutely loved hockey, the Flyers and the fans. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The current crop of managers should respect and keep alive the dedication and passion that Ed Snider brought to the Flyers. They can’t model the roster on what he might’ve done as it’s a different era. But whatever else you can say about Ed Snider the guy absolutely loved hockey, the Flyers and the fans. 

He certainly did....unfortunately he left the organization in the very incapable hands of bungling idiotic imbeciles.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

• pilldoc unpinned this topic