Rangers are slumping

Guest NastyNate

the rangers are 2-2-1 in the month of march. i havent checked the standings today but i believe the flyers are sitting 8 points behind them. with the flyers playing well and the rangers slumping with about a month left, is it possible the flyers overtake the division lead?

if i would of asked you this question even just a week ago the answer most likely would have been "keep dreaming"...not so much anymore, however.

i'm a firm believer in whoever gets hot at the right time has the best chance to make a serious playoff run. well the flyers are playing their best hockey at the most crucial part of the season, while the rangers look tired and have been a bit flat as of late. i wouldnt be shocked if the flyers continue this climb as the rags struggle.

i do know one thing is for certain. the next month of hockey will be extremely entertaining and im looking forward to every single game left on the schedule. the intensity has already picked up immensely. the playoffs have already started for the teams on the bubble. gotta love this time of year!

i've said it before: the rangers are the same as the bruins: a pretty ok team with great goaltending. their wins and losses come directly from their goalies. thomas has struggled for 2 months now, and so the bruins have struggled. lundqvist has had a couple poor outings in the last few games, so the rangers have lost some points.

the only thing to fear with either team are their goalies, and so long as those two guys are playing like humans, their teams are eminently beatable. 8 points are a lot to make up, but it is by no means out of reach. all depends on lundqvist.

The Flyers have 16 games remaining. All are Eastern Conference games and only 2 are against teams that are not in the playoffs or in contention for the playoffs.

The Rangers have 16 left, including 4 Western Conference games. 4 of their remaining games are against non-contending teams.

If the Rangers go .500 the rest of the way (8-8), the Flyers would have to go 13-3 or 12-3-1. As well as they are playing, that seems highly improbable to me. An 10-6 run would probably be the best you could hope for (that is a .630 win percentage, which is exactly where they sit for the season totals currently).

yea, I looked at the rags schedule earlier in the week when NJ owned them - and they have it pretty easy in March. 7 home games in a row in the middle of the month to boot.

The Devils, Penguins and Flyers all seem to be on a roll right now, but may be too little too late to catch up to #1 seed.

The Flyers have 16 games remaining. All are Eastern Conference games and only 2 are against teams that are not in the playoffs or in contention for the playoffs.

true, but keep in mind that more than half of the league make the playoffs...the only teams NOT contending at this point at the true bottom of the barrel.

looking at the rest of the month, there are only a couple games where i wouldn't say the flyer *should* win. NJ twice, boston once, pitt...and maybe ottawa. they certainly can win each of those, but they will be tough games. the others....i'm gonna be unhappy if the flyers get tripped up by toronto and montreal, you know? and rephrasing the required winning percentage...the flyers need to win on 4 nights that the rags lose, and need to match them each of the other nights. doable.

remaining schedule:

tor

njd

njd

nyi

bos

pit

fla

was

mon

tb

tor

ott

pit

nyr

buf

pit

i think there's a decent, though admitedly outside, chace we catch them.

@aziz

The only teams were Montreal, NYI, Minnesota and Carolina (both are 7 points out, but have to leap frog 5 teams to get in). NYR have a game against each of those teams.

Otherwise I said everyone else was in contention.

Otherwise I said everyone else was in contention.

right. my point is that "in contention" doesn't mean a whole lot, as regards the games being particularly difficult or not. toronto is one of the teams in contention, and i expect the flyer to light them up. just saying that the fact most of the games are againt playoff aspirants doesn't really scare me all that much. there are some pretty crappy teams that fit that description.

right. my point is that "in contention" doesn't mean a whole lot, as regards the games being particularly difficult or not. toronto is one of the teams in contention, and i expect the flyer to light them up. just saying that the fact most of the games are againt playoff aspirants doesn't really scare me all that much. there are some pretty crappy teams that fit that description.

See: Florida Panthers?

@aziz-

Well, the reality is that nobody is a cakewalk, regardless of what their standings are. For instance, Toronto doesn't scare you- yet if they had A goaltender that was playing decent, they can be formidable. At least as formidable as anyone else. 6 of their last 7 losses have come by one goal. That includes games against Chicago, Boston, and Vancouver.

Even Florida- though they have had a couple of big losses recently (mostly when Theodore is in net), they are not playing horrible. They are missing their leading scorer and one of the better penalty killers in the league (albeit long on the tooth).

So, in reality, no team can be chalked up as an automatic. They will either be playing for contention or spoilers / jobs next year.

you're right, nothing is easy...but if we are going to rate how challenging the remaining schedule is, games against toronto, florida, buffalo and washington -all contending teams- are on my not-so-bad list.

the rangers are 2-2-1 in the month of march. i havent checked the standings today but i believe the flyers are sitting 8 points behind them. with the flyers playing well and the rangers slumping with about a month left, is it possible the flyers overtake the division lead?

if i would of asked you this question even just a week ago the answer most likely would have been "keep dreaming"...not so much anymore, however.

i'm a firm believer in whoever gets hot at the right time has the best chance to make a serious playoff run. well the flyers are playing their best hockey at the most crucial part of the season, while the rangers look tired and have been a bit flat as of late. i wouldnt be shocked if the flyers continue this climb as the rags struggle.

i do know one thing is for certain. the next month of hockey will be extremely entertaining and im looking forward to every single game left on the schedule. the intensity has already picked up immensely. the playoffs have already started for the teams on the bubble. gotta love this time of year!

Rags have superior goaltending and up to this point have followed the coaches gameplan. They are a very weak offensive team after Gaborik. Zero depth...unless of course you count Rupps two against us in the WC

• Like 1

@NastyNate - considering the rollercoaster roster we've had this season, if we coulda taken the first two matchups against the Rangers, the Flyers would be #1 in the conference today. Wouldn't mind seeing NY travel into Winnepeg's first home playoff games in a generation to sputter their second season...

I'd be happy with a top-4 seed.

If there were some way to get matched-up with Florida in the 1st round . . . .

Wouldn't mind seeing NY travel into Winnepeg's first home playoff games in a generation to sputter their second season...

i really want to see winnipeg to get in just to see the atmosphere in that building. that building sounds crazy loud on tv. i'm sure it would be 10 times louder for the playoffs. would love to see that. plus they are tough at home and could be the perfect medicine to knock off a slumping rags team.

@NastyNate, @flyercanuck

I wonder about the construction of that venue (ie whether the fans are that vocal, which I am sure they are plenty, or if its also the acoustic dynamics of the building. The spectrum used t sound like that on TV too (and live it was deafening- particularly during the playoffs).

FC- you are in Manitoba, right? Have you been to the new arena??

I wonder about the construction of that venue (ie whether the fans are that vocal, which I am sure they are plenty, or if its also the acoustic dynamics of the building.

i'm sure other buildings are as loud as well. but for whatever reason, winnipeg sounds exceptionally loud on tv. it would be nice to here the fargo center amp up to that level.

@NastyNate

And there is what my point was / is. RARELY will you hear WF get that loud. It is due to a couple of reasons: 1) the construction. It is not a particularly acoustically dynamic venue. 2) With the newer buildings, there is a significant portion of seats that are corporate- where the attendees have only a limited to passing interest in the game.

You seem like you are a bit younger, but if you go get the Flyers top 10 games box set, there are games there from the spectrum and you will hear how loud it was. It was one of, if not THE, most intimidating place for opposition teams to play because of the fans.

That had to do allot with the construction where it basically was a cylinder, but the proximity of the the furthest seats to the ice was very close- even if in nose bleeds, you were essentially looking right over the ice. WF is spread out much wider and in combination with point number 1, diffuses the crowd significantly.

In the spectrum days, the crowd was 90% fans, 10% corporate or whatever. Today I would venture it is 60% fans and 40% corporate or whatever. Not in all instances, but in allot of instances. That is a huge impact.

Then you take Winnipeg- which has been hockey starved for a long time. It would be curious to see what the construction of the venue is, vs. corporate sales, vs. season tix sales etc. I can remember a few years back when Edmonton was playing in the SC playoffs / finals. You should of heard those Albertans roar. The Canadian national anthem was DEAFENING to start the game (to the extent the singer just stop singing through the pa mic). Great stuff!

i really want to see winnipeg to get in just to see the atmosphere in that building. that building sounds crazy loud on tv. i'm sure it would be 10 times louder for the playoffs. would love to see that. plus they are tough at home and could be the perfect medicine to knock off a slumping rags team.

If the Jets go in #8 and take down the Rags round 1, look out. The fans there will take a week off of work!

@NastyNate.

You seem like you are a bit younger, but if you go get the Flyers top 10 games box set, there are games there from the spectrum and you will hear how loud it was. It was one of, if not THE, most intimidating place for opposition teams to play because of the fans.

That had to do allot with the construction where it basically was a cylinder, but the proximity of the the furthest seats to the ice was very close- even if in nose bleeds, you were essentially looking right over the ice. WF is spread out much wider and in combination with point number 1, diffuses the crowd significantly.

I remember going up the little extra set of steps to get to the very very top nosebleed section. As a kid it was kinda scary up there because it really felt like you were right on top of the ice. And yes, that was probably one of the loudest buildings ever. The way the noise reverberated there almost seemed to double the crowd. Probably sounded that way on the ice. was obviously a very intimidating feeling on an opposing team, but especially so after the puck dropped and those 70's 80's teams came right at you.

Today's opponents don't seem to have that problem. I was at a game last month and it was... Dare I say, almost civilized. There were tons of Pitt fans there... And they were as cozy as can be. Now I'm not saying they *should* be bullied or attacked, but if flyers fans were like those of the old days, they would want to keep a lower profile.

But, I guess it just is what it is. If those days were still here, we'd have nothing to fondly reminisce over. This concludes my saturday not so deep thoughts ramble. Good day to you sir.

yeah I agree the atmosphere sucks compared to the old days. There is more of a mix of passionate fans like me and Adamflyers and casual fans who are like I hope they win but if not oh well there are lots of cool things to play with on my cell phone. I really hate how comfortable opposing fans get in our building. While I don't want them "attacked" I do want them to know that there is an unofficial code of conduct about being a good guest. You can cheer for your team but do not show us up in our building. I really hate the people who overdo it or turn around and begin taunting the Flyers faithful. Many of our dopey fans just there and let them or look at me and my brother funny when we tell these people to tone it down or shut the heck up depending on how bad they are.

It is such a different culture for those of us who used to rock the Spectrum back in the day.

i'm 26. never saw a flyers game at the spectrum but saw plenty of phantoms games there. and i really dont remember watching games at the spectrum on tv as the flyers were on prism back then and we didnt have prism. so all i really know is what the atmosphere is like at the wells fargo center. i have never been to a playoff game, so i cant speak on how loud it is for those (i would imagine its much more louder than regular season).

i know winnipegs arena is smaller compared to majority of the nhl. i believe the building only holds about 15,000, so that has to affect the acoustics of it as well.

and i'm not saying the fargo center isn't loud, it just doesnt really translate on the tv. when you watch a jets game compared to a flyers game on tv, it sounds so much more intense in winnipeg.

and to get back to my original post, the rags lost again lost night...so lets get a W against the leafs and we'll be 6 behind ny.

its lookin like the penguins arent going to slow down either, so the rangers have to be hearing the footsteps a little bit...