Cap goes up to 72?

Guest Jmdodgesrt4

Great news for Philly! Also, that might be the space to go after Weber.

If it goes up to 72 and then drops 20% ($14M) it will be at 58...

There would obviously have to be some radical restructuring of existing contract rules.

Do we have a link on the new numbers?

I read it on a sports page for the NHL. Now I can't find it. It said the players get 58 percent of revenue now but the owners are looking for 50 percent. 20 percent seems high though for a cut. Should be a buy out of contracts without it hurting the cap. Begs the question is briere here next year? How about timminon or pronger even if he is healthy. That would remove almost 17 mil from cap

If the cap rolls back by 20%, which I doubt, that will roll back the salaries in place - just like last time.

If Bryz plays like an NHL goaltender down the stretch, I think the Flyers should not buyout anyone. Let Timonen and Briere finish out their careers, unless one wants to retire a year early.

I would like to see them completely restructure this cap system.

It would probably never happen but I think players should be signed to a percentage deal instead of a set dollar amount. This would prevent the huge long term front loaded contracts. This would also motivate players to promote their market and league more to help push for a more healthy profitable league. The salary cap has certainly helped protect GMs from themselves to a certain degree but I think this would go one step further. As it stands right now the cap has always gone up. What if it goes down? Say you have a team right up against the cap limit one year and the next year it drops putting them over the cap. Players would have to be sent out for next to nothing just so they would be within the limit. A percentage cap figure would prevent anything like this from happening.

Anyways, I'm off to my mad scientist lab to conjure up some more crazy ideas that will never come to be!

BYE BYE Briere,Timmo and others. Keep Carle and Grossman

you want to get rid of kimmo and keep carle?? lay off the pipe son. carle will be looking for over $5mil/yr. timonen makes more, yes, but he is twice the defenseman carle is. plus he is a former captain in nashville, and a leader in the locker room.

glad youre not gm.

If the cap rolls back by 20%, which I doubt, that will roll back the salaries in place - just like last time.

If Bryz plays like an NHL goaltender down the stretch, I think the Flyers should not buyout anyone. Let Timonen and Briere finish out their careers, unless one wants to retire a year early.

Pronger?

you want to get rid of kimmo and keep carle?? lay off the pipe son. carle will be looking for over $5mil/yr. timonen makes more, yes, but he is twice the defenseman carle is. plus he is a former captain in nashville, and a leader in the locker room.

glad youre not gm.really it's about age. Then who's taking Carle's spot? Also Then if you can eat 1 contract guess it's Pronger's right?

BYE BYE Briere,Timmo and others. Keep Carle and Grossman

Although freeing up that much money does sound nice there are 2 reasons I would want to keep Timmo.

1) If that much salary is opened up, no doubt Homer is just going to fill it back up again. It's what he does and how he opperates.

2) It's going to be hard to find someone that does everything Timmo does when he leaves/retires. He is worth every bit of his salary and then some IMO. He quietly does everything he is asked.

Although freeing up that much money does sound nice there are 2 reasons I would want to keep Timmo.

1) If that much salary is opened up, no doubt Homer is just going to fill it back up again. It's what he does and how he opperates.

2) It's going to be hard to find someone that does everything Timmo does when he leaves/retires. He is worth every bit of his salary and then some IMO. He quietly does everything he is asked.

For the reasons you mention and the fact that Timmo has but one year left on his deal, I can't see them cutting him off.

Briere is a more interesting situation, being that he's got three more seasons to go.

Still, in terms of potential "problem contracts" I think the order has to be:

Pronger ($4.9M through 2017), Bryzgalov ($5.6M through 2020), Briere ($6.5M through 2015).

There's a very real probability that Pronger has played his last hockey game. $5M hung up in LTIR limbo for the next five years is a bigger problem to me than a center who is still playing fairly effectively (aside from his current slump).

then who goes? after we win the cup!!!!!!!!

Next year as it stands now the cap is expected to rise to 72 mil from 64 right now. Then expected to fall close to 20 percent once the new cba is signed. Questions or comments.

What is the point of raising the Cap, only to drop it even lower again after that??? (How does that help anyone?)

Pronger?

No savings, he's a 35+. Also, Philly can LTIR that cap hit.

As a hidden bonus of the LTIR thing, Homer can't use that money in the summer - keeping him from spending stupid money in the offseason. Yay?

If they win the Cup, Kimmo may very well choose to retire.

There have been such rumors.

A few weeks ago when Coatsy was interviewing him either during or after the game, he said he felt like he had a few years in him. I remember saying "thank god" to myself.

I hope he retires as a Flyer and has a cup to go along with it.

A few weeks ago when Coatsy was interviewing him either during or after the game, he said he felt like he had a few years in him. I remember saying "thank god" to myself.

I hope he retires as a Flyer and has a cup to go along with it.

Me, too. Not trying to get rid of him by any stretch!

With the run to the Finals a few years back there was some speculation that with his kids getting to school age and him wanting them to grow up in Finland, he might retire if they won.

They didn't. Here we are again.

No savings, he's a 35+. Also, Philly can LTIR that cap hit.

As a hidden bonus of the LTIR thing, Homer can't use that money in the summer - keeping him from spending stupid money in the offseason. Yay?

I'm talking if they allow a one time buyout like the last time the CBA expired.

Why would they raise the cap then lower it? Makes no sense...