Sean Avery officially retired.. No?

Guest habsguy26

Taken from TSN.ca for us to discuss on here.

Text Size

Sean Avery's hockey career appears to be at an end. Or is it?

A week after being told he was no longer in the New York Rangers' plans, Avery told Bravo TV that he is calling it quits while appearing as a guest on "Watch What Happens Live" with socialite Nicole Richie.

"I am officially retired," he said. "I threw my skates in the Hudson [River]."

While it wasn't immediately clear whether he was kidding, Larry Brooks of the New York Post later tweeted that Avery was in fact serious.

"No, that wasn't a joke," Avery told Brooks. "Yes I'm retiring at end of season and it's okay."

However, Avery's agent Pat Morris has denied the reports, saying Avery was joking and has no desire to retire. Morris also said Avery's future plans will be determined by interest this summer or early next season.

Earlier in the month, Avery was left off the "Clear Day" roster by the Rangers' AHL affiliate Connecticut Whale, making him ineligible for the rest of the regular season and the Calder Cup Playoffs.

The Whale also told Avery he was no longer required to show up for practices or games.

The four-year, $15.5 million contract Avery signed with the Dallas Stars expires at the end of this season and Avery is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

In 580 games during parts of 10 seasons with New York, Dallas, Los Angeles and Detroit, Avery has 90 goals and 247 points along with 1,533 penalty minutes.