Bryz Nay-Sayers

Guest idahophilly

haha, touche

I guess I'm just not on board with the holier than thou stance regarding this issue. The guy earned his criticism.

At the same time I'm totally on board with giving this guy his due credit. He's turned around his play. He's turned around his focus. Not only is he getting the results but he's looking much better doing so in the process. It's been a pleasure to watch him and the team turn things around defensively (minus Bob's last game... what gives with him of late btw?) and it's especially nice given the POs are right around the corner. With the amount of time left in the season it's not a stretch to think this team could really make some noise if everyone gets healthy and the team continues to peak the way they've been.

not to throw too much cold water on anyone, but that's what 4 shutouts will do for short term stats. brian boucher's numbers were AMAZING for the first half of january, 2003.

i think we all know bryzgalov isn't likely to continue with a save percentage over .950...and we all hope he won't revert back to a save percentage under .890. the question is what middle ground will he settle into the rest of the way. and, if his first half performance came from too much pressure, what will he look like in the playoffs when the cooker really heats up? i, for one, still don't have a great feeling. i'll eat crow about that bit if he is solid the rest of the way, but the mess he made of his first 43 starts is way too recent for me to breathe easy, even after a couple weeks of really strong play.

Im on board with you. I have not had a drink of the kool-aid yet,but gladly will if he stays solid.

the one thing not to get lost among all of us flyers fans is that when we boo our players it's not hating on them. we hold our players accountable and we expect the best from them. when we feel like they're dogging it we let them know. the other side of this coin is just because we support a player who's struggling doesn't mean we're a complete homer and are running about with orange-colored glasses. flyers fans, all of us, should understand this more than any other fan, even fellow philadelphia fans.

I don't think anyone is saying it was unfair to be unhappy with Bryz's play, but for those who wanted to buy out or try to trade him or any other number of unlikely scenarios should be glad we didn't. In the end we're all Flyers fans and want the best for the team, right? I had hope Bryz would snap out of his funk and revert to the type of goaltending we saw from him with other teams (as we all did).

People want out of his contract because it is ludicrous. 10 YEARS?!?!?! I don't believe ANY contract should be over 7 years. Look at the Islanders and what they are dealing with for the Rick Dipietro contract. Another one that comes to mind is Alexi Yashin. Teams are ham stinging themselves with these boat anchor contracts that last longer than a case of Herpes....... I am really happy to see Bryz 2.0 playing goal like he is supposed to but if I was as bad at my job as he was for the first 3 months, I would have been fired.

the one thing not to get lost among all of us flyers fans is that when we boo our players it's not hating on them. we hold our players accountable and we expect the best from them. when we feel like they're dogging it we let them know. the other side of this coin is just because we support a player who's struggling doesn't mean we're a complete homer and are running about with orange-colored glasses. flyers fans, all of us, should understand this more than any other fan, even fellow philadelphia fans.

I think for a lot of people it IS hating on them.

To his credit, he took the advice to heart and now he is thriving. His interviews are all about deflecting the attention from himself and putting all the praise on the team. It is obvious the guys in the room appreciate how well he took the advice. He could have easily said screw you and kept acting the way he had been, but he manned up and did thhe right thing. It is paying off so far.

True, true. And I hate to say this (because I know it'll sound rotten) but this new "bit" is starting to wear on my nerves. The whole "I won't talk about myself" sounds like just another page out of Ilya Bryzgalov's "Look how quirky I am" book on media relations.

Constantly deflecting every single question to the team's play sounds silly, self-serving and more than a little phony, which was basically the original complaint the team leaders addressed. He goes so far overboard denying himself credit it's absurd. He "didn't know" about the shutout record. Having been told, he "doesn't know" how he feels about it. Etc. etc.

I know someone will say "Hey if it's working let him be" and I agree. But I have my doubts Bryzgalov's new humble act is the real reason he's playing better.

I guess I'm a hater alright. But I'm okay with that for now. Bryzgalov wants my love and devotion - win me 4 rounds of POs I'll love ya forever!

[edit: and that's "4 rounds" in one post-season not spread over 9 years please.]

Edited by canoli

But I'm okay with that for now. Bryzgalov wants my love and devotion - win me 4 rounds of POs I'll love ya forever!

[edit: and that's "4 rounds" in one post-season not spread over 9 years please.]

AMEN!!

Bryz brought out all the stops in that shoot out. Lord all mighty.

The game was fine, but yikes on the shoot out. In fairness, he waited for them to make a first move. Problem was, they were all shots.

Was at my kid's soccer game, got home just in time for OT. Don't know how he looked in the game but that shootout was putrid. Didn't even flinch on goal #2 to his glove side. Well at least they salvaged a point after going down 2 zip.

True, true. And I hate to say this (because I know it'll sound rotten) but this new "bit" is starting to wear on my nerves. The whole "I won't talk about myself" sounds like just another page out of Ilya Bryzgalov's "Look how quirky I am" book on media relations.

Constantly deflecting every single question to the team's play sounds silly, self-serving and more than a little phony, which was basically the original complaint the team leaders addressed. He goes so far overboard denying himself credit it's absurd. He "didn't know" about the shutout record. Having been told, he "doesn't know" how he feels about it. Etc. etc.

I know someone will say "Hey if it's working let him be" and I agree. But I have my doubts Bryzgalov's new humble act is the real reason he's playing better.

I guess I'm a hater alright. But I'm okay with that for now. Bryzgalov wants my love and devotion - win me 4 rounds of POs I'll love ya forever!

This.

It's almost as though he was told to shut up, doesn't like it and responds with this phony, passive aggressive bullshyt. Poor me...do you think it's easy being an eccentric megalomaniac? I can barely control my ego much less my mouth.

Good - so I'm not the only one.

Sure sounds like the same ol' Brzygalov to me, with a twist. Now the chip on his shoulder is even bigger.

But what the hell, who cares? As long as he keeps taking it out on the opposition...

Don't know how he looked in the game but that shootout was putrid. Didn't even flinch on goal #2 to his glove side. Well at least they salvaged a point after going down 2 zip.

and, imo, he was the only reason they managed to grab that point. that was an example of a goalie stealing something.

and while he didn't have to be as good this afternoon, the penguins could easily have run it up a little in the 2nd when they had the flyers on their butts all period long. credit bryzgalov for another keeping-the-flyers-in-it showing.

• Like 3

and while he didn't have to be as good this afternoon, the penguins could easily have run it up a little in the 2nd when they had the flyers on their butts all period long. credit bryzgalov for another keeping-the-flyers-in-it showing.

Agreed. I thought Bryz was very good today, if not for him a 2 goal third period wouldn't have been enough to tie it up....or even make it close for that matter.

• Like 1

momentum is such an odd thing, those back to back penalties the flyers killed off in later half of the first period really changed the complexion of the game, prior to that the play was entertaining and pretty even ; after that, the Pens forecheck was really effective both because they worked hard but also because we quit attacking, we were really lucky that Bryz was so solid today, that second period was painful to watch, thank goodness for wellwood and jagr, at times it seemed like the pens were skating with an extra guy. then the back to back penalties on d ouchey mcMalkenstien swung the momentum toward the flyers who were the better team in the 3rd.

with the exception of the hartnell fiasco at the end i thought the zebras only stank today.

he did what we needed him to do. i just couldn't believe that we were only down 1 goal after that 2nd period. not one of the goals he let in were of the 'soft' variety either. i mean... when i think about what kind of goaltender i thought we were getting, last summer when they signed him, this is the type of game i was thinking of.

just really really hope he can keep playing like this down the stretch. if he can, we can be a really dangerous team and the top seed in the conference is not out of the question.

the funny thing about malkin's goal was if he just keeps his pad flat to the ice he stops it, i'm pretty sure , he was pretty sure malkinstein was going to try to lift the puck. it was good work from 71 he definitely outmuscled 28 there and made a pretty sick move through the crease, but bryz is going so well he almost stopped that. agreed that this kind of play is what i was expecting. good for 30.

i like it when we beat that team. but they are pretty good and when they're on their forechekc game they create a lot of pressure. i still think a team with good depth can beat them. like we saw today.

about malkin's goal was if he just keeps his pad flat to the ice he stops it, i'm pretty sure

yep, nailed it. I'm not going to complain because - though I only saw the highlights - Bryzgalov was obviously outstanding today - and he has been for what's becoming a long stretch of games. But it's funny like you said, because I don't think Bryzgalov thought he was going high - he was down in the butterfly and really should've had the ice sealed. If he did that's a save instead of a goal. But like I say, no complaints.

Pardon me for getting corny here but I'm proud of my Flyers this weekend. I guess they had a sleepy period (as Lavy called it) or two in both games but the resiliency and the never-say-die attitude - or as G said, "the guys got pissed off and wanted to win" - those are great characteristics to see in our Flyers. Laviolette said something similar in the presser - "they didn't cave. That's a great sign from your team, when they don't cave, and that's happened a lot this year."

Edited by canoli

Pardon me for getting corny here but I'm proud of my Flyers this weekend. I guess they had a sleepy period (as Lavy called it) or two in both games but the resiliency and the never-say-die attitude - or as G said, "the guys got pissed off and wanted to win" - those are great characteristics to see in our Flyers. Laviolette said something similar in the presser - "they didn't cave. That's a great sign from your team, when they don't cave, and that's happened a lot this year."

Time to crank up the smarm! But I agree. Character SO loss yesterday and character win today. Something to build on at exactly the right time of year. Very good looking team chemistry.

Very good looking team chemistry

sure is. Pretty amazing what good (and extremely-good) goaltending can do for your team...not to mention Grossmann, Kubina, more disciplined play in our own end by the forwards...

But I'm nervous about a Bryzgalov meltdown I must admit; it's not all sunshine and roses from my perspective. Somewhere along the line - maybe it was the Calgary shootout - somewhere he decided to flip his switch to "ON" and that's great. Fkn Finally. But I resent being at the mercy of this guy's emotional status. I know, I know... we're always at the mercy of our goaltenders. But the last couple weeks with Bryzgalov stealing us games feels like watching a kid loose in the candy store: everything is going great and he's happy. Yay.

But those 5 months of whatever-the-hell-it-was we saw (and it was something, god only knows what) - of Sucking Royally in practically every game - they eat at me and I worry...can the fans, can the team, Lavy, Paul, whoever - can we keep this guy happy and motivated long enough (through 4 rounds of POs) and prevent that switch from being flipped back to "OFF?"

I hope so because the Flyers are playing some damn good hockey right now, PO-winning hockey - all without Mez, without Talbot today, without Mr Invisible JVR, without any goals from Briere in months...and a whole lotta minutes from rookie NHLers ... All of a sudden there's a lot more at stake because Bryzgalov (and the Team D) isn't giving away goals for free every game. We are one of the legitimate favorites now to represent the East. Naturally we'll still need all the breaks a SC Champ gets along the way, but at least our game is competitive on both sides of the ice now.

sure is. Pretty amazing what good (and extremely-good) goaltending can do for your team...not to mention Grossmann, Kubina, more disciplined play in our own end by the forwards...

But I'm nervous about a Bryzgalov meltdown I must admit; it's not all sunshine and roses from my perspective. Somewhere along the line - maybe it was the Calgary shootout - somewhere he decided to flip his switch to "ON" and that's great. Fkn Finally. But I resent being at the mercy of this guy's emotional status. I know, I know... we're always at the mercy of our goaltenders. But the last couple weeks with Bryzgalov stealing us games feels like watching a kid loose in the candy store: everything is going great and he's happy. Yay.

But those 5 months of whatever-the-hell-it-was we saw (and it was something, god only knows what) - of Sucking Royally in practically every game - they eat at me and I worry...can the fans, can the team, Lavy, Paul, whoever - can we keep this guy happy and motivated long enough (through 4 rounds of POs) and prevent that switch from being flipped back to "OFF?"

I hope so because the Flyers are playing some damn good hockey right now, PO-winning hockey - all without Mez, without Talbot today, without Mr Invisible JVR, without any goals from Briere in months...and a whole lotta minutes from rookie NHLers ... All of a sudden there's a lot more at stake because Bryzgalov (and the Team D) isn't giving away goals for free every game. We are one of the legitimate favorites now to represent the East. Naturally we'll still need all the breaks a SC Champ gets along the way, but at least our game is competitive on both sides of the ice now.

Don't know why but I tend to believe he's settled in. Not sure if he'll be stellar th whole way but I doubt he'll ever be that lost again. In short, a one time deal related to the transition.

Don't know why but I tend to believe he's settled in. Not sure if he'll be stellar th whole way but I doubt he'll ever be that lost again. In short, a one time deal related to the transition.

From your keyboard to Bryzgalov's big brain -ha! I hope you're right of course but I don't know. The way I figure it those first 5 months Bryzgalov, for whatever reason was holding back on purpose, deliberately refusing to give the team his best effort. I mean seriously how else can we explain what we saw? Sorry but it doesn't take 5 months to "settle in" to a new team. No way. 10 games, okay maybe. Not 40.

Now he's decided to give it his best and the change couldn't be more drastic. Obviously it was never a question of "Can he [stop pucks]?" but "Will he?" (or better yet, "Why won't he?")

If it's all behind him (whatever "it" was), great, even if his play tapers off a bit (though I don't know why it should, it's not like he's playing out of his mind or anything, he's simply playing very well). But god help us all if he goes for another stroll into the woods...

From your keyboard to Bryzgalov's big brain -ha! I hope you're right of course but I don't know. The way I figure it those first 5 months Bryzgalov, for whatever reason was holding back on purpose, deliberately refusing to give the team his best effort. I mean seriously how else can we explain what we saw? Sorry but it doesn't take 5 months to "settle in" to a new team. No way. 10 games, okay maybe. Not 40.

I've been both roasting and toasting Bryzgalov and will continue to do so.

How many goalies have had to make that transition with the zoo circus of 24/7 hounding the team at every point?

None. HBO chased him around and MADE him the star of that show. The Flyers didn't go to HBO and say "focus on Bryzgalov" - the HBO editors CHOSE to do that. IMO, it was a total distraction that snowballed on itself.

The rabid local media taking EVERY comment and blowing it up over and over again. Shove a mic into someone's face who just gave up four goals and ask him how he played. Then, when he says he played like crap, people go "ZOMG BRYZ SAID HE PLAYED LIKE CRAP".

The team defense has improved, they added two quality dmen in Kubina and GrossmanN and Bryz was able to get out of the spotlight and play goal.

You want a good run of games to "be sure?" OK, here's Bryzgalov:

Pre ASG: 32 starts (33 games), 18-10-4, 2.99, .895

Post ASG: 19 starts (22 games), 12-3-3, 1.69, .938

Hell, even with the crap first half of the season, he's at 2.49/.911 for the year. That's 21 in GAA, for those who were pointing out he was in the 40s at one point. He's tied for third in the league in shutouts.

Bob? Yeah 3.03/.899.

Sometimes you just gotta give a guy his due. Other times you gotta give the guy both barrels.