Will the real NHL discipline show up?

Guest Phlyer1

OK first let me start off with calling Doc E Eddie O and Pierre puke a bunch of biased pieces of crap.

No way did they want this game to turn out the wsay it did.

Having said all that they did say Kunnis deserved to be tossed. They said it was a deliberate disrespect to the officials. Now lets see what Shanahan does with this deliberate head into the ice pounding.

Too bad the score was so close so nobody could go after that creep.

@Phlyer1

Nothing will happen. What bothered me most on that is that the penalty calls were even up. What I saw was marting hack at Hartnell, then Hartnell whack back. Push / Shove, then Kunitz come and jump hartnell while Neal and some Flyer where in the pile as well.

I don't care about Neal and the other Flyer. Let them offset and not call anything.

If you are going to call 4 on Hartnell you should call 4 (and possibly 5) on Kunitz for not heeding the linesman / refs multiple times and his flagrant disregard for another player by trying to grind his head into the ice with his elbow MMA style.

Hartnell 4

Kunitz 4 or 5 (plus either 10 min misconduct or match penalty for the elbow BS)

Martin 2 minutes for the starting all the stuff

Flyers should had a 2 to 3 minute power play out of all that.

@mkscrewy-

I would have taken a Flyers PP first and foremost and the misconduct secondarily. Kunitz should of already had a minor for roughing- before the elbowing stuff starts. Here are the options available to the Refs at the time for the elbowing:

Rule 45 - Elbowing

45.1 Elbowing - Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury.

45.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of elbowing an opponent.

45.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent. A major penalty must be imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (see 45.5).

45.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by elbowing.

45.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct penalty shall also be imposed.

I don't remember seeing that blatant disrespect forward another player for quite a while. It was 4 on 1 at one point, Was Hartsy even upright for any of the Kunitz business ? I'm thinking there's going to be some score settling twixt those two , that fight wasn't even a fight. It was a mugging. I hate Kunitz , his true colors are coming through . Feminine cleansing agent.

Edited by mojo1917

I don't remember seeing that blatant disrespect forward another player for quite a while. It was 4 on 1 at one point, Was Hartsy even upright for any of the Kunitz business ? I'm thinking there's going to be some score settling twixt those two , that fight wasn't even a fight. It was a mugging. I hate Kunitz , his true colors are coming through . Feminine cleansing agent.

i don't understand why kunitz wasn't kicked from the game. i've seen 5 and a game misconduct for far less then that crap he was doing

@mojo1917

Yeah, that was a mugging. The Flyers players were trying to get in there. I think it was Grossman that was being blocked out by Neal.

The thing about that is that it should have never gone that far and after the elbowing stuff, it was STILL going and Hartnell was trying to get up and Kunitz skates were getting near his upper body / face. That is a BAD BAD situation (in regards to the skates).

The other part was that you could see that Kunitz had nothing but malicious intent on his face when he had hartnell pinned with his elbow.

Let Crosby or Letang be in the bottom with Rinaldo on the top and see what calls are made then! I used to like Kunitz allot when he played for the Ducks. Thought he was a hard working / gritty player. Yet since he has been with pittsburgh, it seems like he has these sporadic instances of malice (or maybe just when he plays the Flyers).

• Like 1

I used to like Kunitz allot when he played for the Ducks. Thought he was a hard working / gritty player. Yet since he has been with pittsburgh, it seems like he has these sporadic instances of malice (or maybe just when he plays the Flyers).

running timmonen and sticking out his leg to make sure he didn't miss in the playoffs kind of sealed it for me as to what kind of character he has....

i hate to say it but that whole team is a bunch of jack jawing cheapshot artists...& i was glad to see malkin block that shot with his knee, after bringing his stick up on couterier's twig and berries. can't stand that team. i hope we don't finsh 4/5.

@mojo1917

Yup- that kimmo hit and this one on Gagne last year sealed it for me. I think when the league / media kisses your rear end for as long and as much as they have with Pittsburgh, the team starts to feel a sense of invulnerability and entitlement and does whatever they darn well please.

whatever happened to the 3rd man in rule!? they could have had a 3rd and a 4th man ruled in and penalized. that was utter bullsh i t.

there is no doubt that kunitz should have been thrown from the game, but knowing how refs are these days, they would have thrown hartnell out as well... and then we wouldn't have won ;) so we got our revenge and boy was it sweet.

OK first let me start off with calling Doc E Eddie O and Pierre puke a bunch of biased pieces of crap

I'm not kidding, I haven't even read anything in this thread past this part of your post and I'd ask that you allow me to WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE with you. I can't stand that group. Shouldn't it be common sense to a network that is supposedly putting on a product for the national level to actually put people out there that are unbiased? I don't love homer commentators but with the Flyers group, I accept the fact that they are on the payroll of the team and are paid specifically to speak to Flyers fans. But this crew is ridiculous. Add to the fact that they have an ex-Penguins coach calling Flyers Penguins games? And he isn't going to have a strong opinion that he just can't help but express? I'll take Joe Beninati any day of the week over these clowns.

and here's a funny little montage of the guy just for $#!ts and giggles:

anyway, now onto reading the rest of the post/thread.

I think when the league / media kisses your rear end for as long and as much as they have with Pittsburgh, the team starts to feel a sense of invulnerability and entitlement and does whatever they darn well please.

and why stop there? if there aren't going to be any calls to tell the team otherwise, well then......

i don't mind pierre mcguire he's a fan of giroux's, or that NBC team that much, after listening to those jack holes in boston yesterday this was a pleasant viewing experience.

i think doc emreric had a bad business dealing with the flyers, so he may never be able to fully sound unbiased, that's just human nature. as for eddie olczyick there are worse guys around, chico resch anyone ?

that group is more "pro sid" than anything, and they are charged with voicing the primary game in the american market, so GB with his "superstar" model from the NBA days is probably setting policy to pump the faces' tires. i think those guys are in a tough spot and do a pretty good job of selling the game for the most part.

i am a fan of joe benniatti though, i like dave stader too, i'll tell you who i miss, gary thorne/ bill clement and steve levy/ daren pang from espn ,those were two very good hockey announce teams... i also really like the hnic guys too.

running timmonen and sticking out his leg to make sure he didn't miss in the playoffs kind of sealed it for me as to what kind of character he has....

i hate to say it but that whole team is a bunch of jack jawing cheapshot artists...& i was glad to see malkin block that shot with his knee, after bringing his stick up on couterier's twig and berries. can't stand that team. i hope we don't finsh 4/5.

Now that Matt Cooke has cleaned up his act (Masterton nominee and all), Kunitz and Malkin are vying to be the dirtiest players on that team. I'm not ready to give the edge to either. Malkin is among the dirtiest players in the league. I don't recall a player who gets away with more stick work. He's good at it and he hurts people with it.

I think when the league / media kisses your rear end for as long and as much as they have with Pittsburgh, the team starts to feel a sense of invulnerability and entitlement and does whatever they darn well please.

My previous comments were in response to this quote.

An example of why the announcers enfuriate me:

(Couturier on the PK intercepts a pass, has a partial breakaway and a Pens defenseman gets back and breaks it up)

WHAT A PLAY by Orpik!!!! He got back just in time to break up that short handed chance. What a show of grit and determination!

(Malkin steals the puck, coming in on Bryz and broken up by Grossman)

Malkin showing those phenomenal skills with the steal and a good scoring chance!!!! Grossman JUST managed to put a stick on the puck, but WHAT SKILL shown by Malkin, we can see why he's leading the league in points this season!!

• Like 1

You're right. There was one play where Malkin tried some move on Coburn but Coburn broke it up. I think Edzo or whoever said something like "I give Malkin full credit for even trying that move!" I could easily try one of a thousand moves and lose the puck but I doubt it'd be worthy of any praise for the effort.

• Like 2

You're right. There was one play where Malkin tried some move on Coburn but Coburn broke it up. I think Edzo or whoever said something like "I give Malkin full credit for even trying that move!" I could easily try one of a thousand moves and lose the puck but I doubt it'd be worthy of any praise for the effort.

That was the quintessential biased announcer quote. Coburn made a great play...but Malkin failed with style!

• Like 1