Standings

Guest BearOnIce

@BearOnIce

@Bertmega

This is the format that I liked it:

1979-80 - With the addition of four WHA franchises, the League expanded its playoff structure to include 16 of its 21 teams. The four first place teams in the four divisions automatically earned playoff berths. Among the 17 other clubs, the top 12, according to regular-season record, also earned berths. All 16 teams were then pooled together and ranked #1 to #16 based on regular-season record:

Series A: Team #1 vs Team #16 (best-of-five)

Series B: Team #2 vs Team #15 (best-of-five)

Series C: Team #3 vs Team #14 (best-of-five)

Series D: Team #4 vs Team #13 (best-of-five)

Series E: Team #5 vs Team #12 (best-of-five)

Series F: Team #6 vs Team #11 (best-of-five)

Series G: Team #7 vs Team #10 (best-of-five)

Series H: Team #8 vs Team #9 (best-of-five)

The eight Preliminary round winners, ranked #1 to #8 based on regular-season record, moved on to the Quarterfinals:

Series I: Team #1 vs Team #8 (best-of-seven)

Series J: Team #2 vs Team #7 (best-of-seven)

Series K: Team #3 vs Team #6 (best-of-seven)

Series L: Team #4 vs Team #5 (best-of-seven)

The eight Quarterfinals winners, ranked #1 to #4 based on regular-season record, moved on to the semifinals:

Series M: Team #1 vs Team #4 (best-of-seven)

Series N: Team #2 vs Team #3 (best-of-seven)

Series O: Winner of Series M vs winner of Series N (best-of-seven)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The only thing I would change with that format is that instead of four division winners, it would be six division winners. I would also have the preliminary round be 7 games and not 5.

By having the division winners automatically get a berth into the playoffs, you keep the regional rivalries (of divisional rivalries) going. What I especially like about this is that if you are a crummy division winner, you don't gain anything in the playoffs- other than a berth you are seeded by your points alone.

If the playoffs were to start today using that format, you would have:

St Louis v. San Jose

NYR v. Colorado

Vancouver v. Phoenix

Pitts v. Dallas

Philly v. Florida

Nashville v. Ottawa

Detroit v. Boston

Chicago v. NJ

Because of the cap, there is much more parity in the league today. 7 of the 16 teams are still coming out of the east. But I find the first round matchups much more intriguing. Particularly those where an east team is playing a west team.

@BearOnIce

It's a messed up system. I was actually debating this very subject on the chatbox today. It would make the most sense if the top 8 teams from both sides in proper order made up the playoffs.

I can live with division winners making the playoffs over teams with more points (otherwise the divisions are completely meaningless) but they should still seed according to points.

@Vanflyer

Thank you for the summary. Good stuff there.

I really have mixed feeling about the NHL playoff format as of now. I can see where most are coming from as well. A best of 5 for the first round would be nice, but then I would miss the extra hockey..

Again, very good summary on your end, thank you.

@Vanflyer

Thank you for the summary. Good stuff there.

I really have mixed feeling about the NHL playoff format as of now. I can see where most are coming from as well. A best of 5 for the first round would be nice, but then I would miss the extra hockey..

Again, very good summary on your end, thank you.

As long as we don't play the Rangers. They used to kill us in those best of 5 days in the first round.

I will be happy if we finish 4th in the Conference. (I think that is a reasonable expectation.)

Don't want Pitt in the 1st round.

. . .let's beat them in the ECF when we have Mez & JvR back on the ice!

@BearOnIce

@Bertmega

This is the format that I liked it:

1979-80 - With the addition of four WHA franchises, the League expanded its playoff structure to include 16 of its 21 teams. The four first place teams in the four divisions automatically earned playoff berths. Among the 17 other clubs, the top 12, according to regular-season record, also earned berths. All 16 teams were then pooled together and ranked #1 to #16 based on regular-season record:

Series A: Team #1 vs Team #16 (best-of-five)

Series B: Team #2 vs Team #15 (best-of-five)

Series C: Team #3 vs Team #14 (best-of-five)

Series D: Team #4 vs Team #13 (best-of-five)

Series E: Team #5 vs Team #12 (best-of-five)

Series F: Team #6 vs Team #11 (best-of-five)

Series G: Team #7 vs Team #10 (best-of-five)

Series H: Team #8 vs Team #9 (best-of-five)

The eight Preliminary round winners, ranked #1 to #8 based on regular-season record, moved on to the Quarterfinals:

Series I: Team #1 vs Team #8 (best-of-seven)

Series J: Team #2 vs Team #7 (best-of-seven)

Series K: Team #3 vs Team #6 (best-of-seven)

Series L: Team #4 vs Team #5 (best-of-seven)

The eight Quarterfinals winners, ranked #1 to #4 based on regular-season record, moved on to the semifinals:

Series M: Team #1 vs Team #4 (best-of-seven)

Series N: Team #2 vs Team #3 (best-of-seven)

Series O: Winner of Series M vs winner of Series N (best-of-seven)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The only thing I would change with that format is that instead of four division winners, it would be six division winners. I would also have the preliminary round be 7 games and not 5.

By having the division winners automatically get a berth into the playoffs, you keep the regional rivalries (of divisional rivalries) going. What I especially like about this is that if you are a crummy division winner, you don't gain anything in the playoffs- other than a berth you are seeded by your points alone.

If the playoffs were to start today using that format, you would have:

St Louis v. San Jose

NYR v. Colorado

Vancouver v. Phoenix

Pitts v. Dallas

Philly v. Florida

Nashville v. Ottawa

Detroit v. Boston

Chicago v. NJ

Because of the cap, there is much more parity in the league today. 7 of the 16 teams are still coming out of the east. But I find the first round matchups much more intriguing. Particularly those where an east team is playing a west team.

Completely agree. The best teams would play. But Buttman will not admit how soft the South is.

Nor do something simple like moving Wpg West and Nsh to the Southleast. Painlessly easy, which oddly enough is probably the EXACT reason it didn't happen.