Meszaros Out with small fragment In Lower Back

Guest Bakanekimiwa

Frank Seravalli @DNFlyers

The usual return for a herniated disc repair is about 6-to-8 weeks, as Ryan Parent and Michael Leighton both went through it.

Tim Panaccio @tpanotchCSN

Meszaros will need disk surgery for fragment removal. A guess? He misses first round of playoffs at least

Edited by OzFlyer

Frank Seravalli@DNFlyers

The usual return for a herniated disc repair is about 6-to-8 weeks, as Ryan Parent and Michael Leighton both went through it.

Tim Panaccio@tpanotchCSN

Meszaros will need disk surgery for fragment removal. A guess? He misses first round of playoffs at least

well.. it's NOT disc repair. it's just fragment removal... that would lead me to believe it will be much shorter than 6-8 weeks no? obviously, i'm not a doctor.... AND i don't even play one on tv.

well.. it's NOT disc repair. it's just fragment removal... that would lead me to believe it will be much shorter than 6-8 weeks no? obviously, i'm not a doctor.... AND i don't even play one on tv.

Lets hope so!

WHAT THE ****!?!??!?!

Someone do some research and find out what this team did to piss off the hockey gods? Yeah, we didn't expect much this season, but dang, this team just has one injury after another.

One has to be a little concerned that we're running on fumes. We're missing Pronger, Mezsaros, Lilja, Kubina, JvR and Talbot. We need to get some bodies back to keep up this pace.

I'm not sure who the hell they call up if another Dman gets hurt, without checking, I think Bourdon and Bartulis are still hurt.

It sounds like Kubina will be back this week so Manning will go back down. Bart played his first game back from injury on the weekend..

WHAT THE ****!?!??!?!

Someone do some research and find out what this team did to piss off the hockey gods? Yeah, we didn't expect much this season, but dang, this team just has one injury after another.

EVERY year for the flyers... or at least it seems that way. our best hope is that these injuries have happened far enough away from the playoffs that we get most, if not all, of these guys back by PO.

EVERY year for the flyers...

it's almost unbelievable. There have been years recently - going way back to the TB series we lost in 7, that year we went to war with the Leafs in R2 - where we lead the NHL in man-games lost to injury. I'm not sure if we're among the leaders again this year but it sure seems like it.

That season we met Pissburgh in R1 a few years back and lose Coby and Kimmo right before the series starts...then more recently Carter with his broken feet, Richards playing with one shoulder ...losing our goalie (Boosh) to Ryan Parent falling on top of him when Boosh was on such a great roll...

I know I jumbled up the years and the injuries a bit but it's like - pick any year and you'll find key players missing from the Flyers' lineup come PO time. And it really sucks.

Thank you Oz - thought for a moment this thread was going down the "Our medical staff SUCKS!" hole, and personally I find those rants pretty silly. Surgery is the last option for everyone not just athletes. You do everything you can to avoid it and that necessarily includes taking some time. It's unfortunate, I wish he was already rehabbing but that's the way it goes.

It's a blow to our chances in R1, no doubt. But if we get Kubina back and have Oskars in reserve (I always thought he held his own pretty well) - and Bryzgalov stays out of the woods - we can tough it out and win, even if it is Saint Crosby and the Holy Penguins.

It sounds like Kubina will be back this week so Manning will go back down. Bart played his first game back from injury on the weekend..

I'm feeling pretty comfortable with Manning back there. Actually, any D-man that plays in his position without cycling in the offensive zone and grinding behind the net (out of position) is a plus.

Anyone else notice the coincidence of adding positionally sound defensemen and our improvement overall ?

faaack... official team report is that he will be OUT for 6-8 weeks. someone tell me why it took about a month to diagnose this!?

I thought the same thing but I think that they were trying to get it better without surgery. which would've gotten him back much quicker.

After that failed they had no choice but to cut him.

Anyway that's my guess.

well... now eskin is reporting that mesz is DONE for the season. FFS.

and to the point about our medical staff.... i understand that they try to exhaust all avenues of rehab before surgery, but what is it now 3 weeks? if they had done their due diligence, they would have know he had a bone chip way before. bone chips in your back... as far as i know do not judt heal on their own.

i think the flyers medical staff is fair game, once again on this one.

well maybe you're right Bak - about the med staff. To me, since we really have absolutely no clue what they're doing or not doing it's impossible to judge their effectiveness.

At least when we talk about player's performances we actually see them play. With the medical staff we (obviously) don't see them work. Any number of complications, scenarios, etc. can be contributing to why it was a 3-week diagnosis for Mez. For all we know the chip is in a "good" place, not impinging on the nerve too much and so they hoped (reasonably) that simply resting it would ease the pain it was causing him and he could return to action without surgery.

It's hard for me to know since my home-schoolin' medical license hasn't come through in the mail yet! :)

• Like 1

This team is run by a former defenseman. I believe just about anything is possible including the second coming of Pronger. I do not believe any medical reports. I even believe in the miracle of St. Briere around the time of R1.

Tough break for Andre the Giant. The good news is the defense has played better. I like Gus and Manning and how they've played. Lilja is slow, but he uses his body. We'll nee Bryz to play at the top of his game more than ever now. I hope Mez heals fast and can make it back if there's a deep playoff run.

well maybe you're right Bak - about the med staff. To me, since we really have absolutely no clue what they're doing or not doing it's impossible to judge their effectiveness.

At least when we talk about player's performances we actually see them play. With the medical staff we (obviously) don't see them work. Any number of complications, scenarios, etc. can be contributing to why it was a 3-week diagnosis for Mez. For all we know the chip is in a "good" place, not impinging on the nerve too much and so they hoped (reasonably) that simply resting it would ease the pain it was causing him and he could return to action without surgery.

It's hard for me to know since my home-schoolin' medical license hasn't come through in the mail yet! :)

totally.. who knows what's goin on really. maybe there is sound logic to their decision making, however, it just seems like time and time again they have either misdiagnosed or completely missed something with far too much frequency, IMO.

i would think it's pretty standard procedure to have an xray or mri with most injuries, ones that include missing practice and games for a good stretch, these days. and again.. obviously i'm not a doctor, but i would think that a bone chip would show up pretty prominently in an xray. i'll leave open possibility that it's a sand grain of a chip, but as i said before... this medical staff has had many many many occasions where they are very open to criticism.

eric lindros from late 90's says hello from his bathtub in the hotel room where he almost died and then was let onto a flight.

while this is bad news... it's still better than a disc out of alignment. maybe he could be back by playoffs?

I wonder how long he's been playing with this injury, because I've been thinking most of the year he wasn't playing at the level he usually does.. he's a huge loss for the Flyers..

Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros underwent back surgery early Wednesday as scheduled, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

"Andrej had successful surgery this morning to remove a disc fragment that was impinging on a nerve root,” Holmgren said in a statement. “He will be discharged from the hospital later today. His rehab will begin in one week"

Meszaros, 26, is still expected to miss the Flyers’ next six to eight weeks of action. That means that, in order to see him return to the lineup this season, they’ll have to make it at least until the playoffs’ second round. He hasn't played since the Flyers' 3-2 win over the New York Islanders on March 1.

In 62 games this season, Meszaros registered seven goals and 18 assists.