Asham

Guest bernardmarcel1

Man would I love to have had him stayed in the O&B instead of letting him walk like that & then sign Shelly to that rediculously inexpicable contract.

Watch Asham just absolutely tag Beagle right on the button here: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/01/asham-ready-for-retribution-tonight-versus-caps/

Sucks even worse he has to play for Pissburgh now.

I think Aaron was one of the early victims of the break up the crew attempts by Homer. I know for a fact that Aaron wanted to stay in Philly but Homer did not resign him as an attempt to split up the Richards/Carter entourage. I really hope that he is able to find his way back to the Flyers, all the guy ever did here was show that he was one of the best enforcer/players on the ice in the league. He is not afraid of anyone and still has the skills to be a solid 3rd or 4th liner on any team.

@flyercanuck

Not to take this too far off course, but is Eskimo a derogatory term? I am not asking to be a wise-ass, I just really want to know. Is it a blanket term, or an insult?

The reason I ask, is I try and be PC and I do not want to throw that term around if it offends people.

On to Asham, he is Metis, right? Which also has me confused. Is Metis a combonation of Canadian 1st Nation People and French or Scottish Europeans?

Kind of like American or Louisiana Creole people?

Again, I ask out of wanting to know and be more culturally sensitive or aware.

Thanks

After watching the fight a second time, Asham literally saved Beagle from further injury by lowering him to the ice after he knocked him out. If he had let him drop head first, Beagle would have been leaving on a stretcher. The post fight Carcillo actions were uncalled for and if you read the article, Asham says as much himself.

@doom88 - "As good a role player as Asham was, he was dreadfully too slow for his role. He's more than a "goon"."

Asham >>>>> Shelley is all I was saying. He can actually play hard nose checking hockey, put the puck in the net sometimes, & I feel he was one of those key "role players" for the Flyers during the Cup run a couple years ago. A lot more skill for the money than Shelley's *none*...

@ Gazoo - "I love Asham..but Beagle had 2 professional fights, before that one, I think."

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that Ash took down a George Parros type or anything, it was just watching that fight & remembering how he pretty much could hold his own against almost anyone he danced with. That knockout punch *was* nasty though!

You'd think if it actually was a derogatory term the Edmonton Eskimos would stop using it as their name.

Or that the folks that make Eskimo Pies would go out of business.

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=eskimo+pie&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eT3bTqniIKX6mAXCo4X0Cw&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=662

Asham. Man, it still really bums me out he's not a Flyer anymore. He was born for the O&B. I've shaken my head over quite a few moves.....i.e.Langkow, Sharp, not using Handzus or Kapanen correctly. Somehow though Asham sticks in my throut. If some mad scientist somewhere were creating a fourth line agitator who wasn't afraid to fight anyone and could occasionaly score he would've named him Ash the Flyer. Such a bummer.

Langkow? That trade turned into Jeff Carter which turned into Couturier and Voracek. Carter outscored him pretty much from day one, and Voracek is on pace with him his first year here as a 22 year old. Throw in 18 year old Couturier and the 35 year old isn't missed a whole lot IMO.

Somehow though Asham sticks in my throut. If some mad scientist somewhere were creating a fourth line agitator who wasn't afraid to fight anyone and could occasionaly score he would've named him Ash the Flyer. Such a bummer.

Wasn't asham a casualty of Flyers cap management??

Langkow? That trade turned into Jeff Carter which turned into Couturier and Voracek.

But Langkow did have some decent years in Calgary. That was a good fit with him. Interesting that you bring up the anthology of Langkow with Carter, etc. I had forgotten all of that!! I guess that was the era when we getting #1 draft picks in trades instead of giving them away!!