Asham

Guest bernardmarcel1

Wasn't asham a casualty of Flyers cap management??

Asham was more a victim of the breaking up the Center City Posse. Homer was trying to get Carter,Lupul,Upshall,Richards and Asham to ease up on the partying. Upshall was one of the first to go and then Lupul in the Pronger trade. Asham was not re-signed in Philly even though he was willing to give them a discount if he could stay there. Asham was one of Homer's worst non moves as a gm.......

Langkow? That trade turned into Jeff Carter which turned into Couturier and Voracek. Carter outscored him pretty much from day one, and Voracek is on pace with him his first year here as a 22 year old. Throw in 18 year old Couturier and the 35 year old isn't missed a whole lot IMO.

Good memory dude (assuming you are accurate).

Asham was more a victim of the breaking up the Center City Posse. Homer was trying to get Carter,Lupul,Upshall,Richards and Asham to ease up on the partying. Upshall was one of the first to go and then Lupul in the Pronger trade. Asham was not re-signed in Philly even though he was willing to give them a discount if he could stay there. Asham was one of Homer's worst non moves as a gm.......

I thought one of the main reasons why Asham wasn't resigned had to do with Laviolette not seeing the expected consistent effort out of him throughout the season. Wasn't Asham scratched a few games as well?

I thought one of the main reasons why Asham wasn't resigned had to do with Laviolette not seeing the expected consistent effort out of him throughout the season. Wasn't Asham scratched a few games as well?

Well he had 4 goals and 3 assists and was a plus 4 (FWIW) in the 09/10 playoffs. Played 23 games in the playoffs so I don't think he was a scratch. Pretty good numbers for a 4th liner......Jody Shelley on the other hand, had 2 goals and 2 assists for the WHOLE season. Yeah, I think I can confidently say Asham was not moved for his lack of performance.....

From what I recall it wasn't his playoff performance, but it was more the inconsistency during the season, when he just like Richie, Carter tooks nights off. I just don't think Asham and Laviolette were always on the same page.

Langkow? That trade turned into Jeff Carter which turned into Couturier and Voracek. Carter outscored him pretty much from day one, and Voracek is on pace with him his first year here as a 22 year old. Throw in 18 year old Couturier and the 35 year old isn't missed a whole lot IMO.

I liked Langkow too but you're right, I'd much rather have what he turned into than the player himself to this point.

From what I recall it wasn't his playoff performance, but it was more the inconsistency during the season, when he just like Richie, Carter tooks nights off. I just don't think Asham and Laviolette were always on the same page.

I always thought the reason we didn't resign him was because of his playoff performance, he was going to look for a raise (he was due a new deal) and the Flyers didn't want to give him a raise, or even pay him what he was making, so they let him walk. That's when the Penguins picked him up for less than what we were paying him. That's all speculation on my part though since I had hoped they would've resigned him and never really saw any articles about him that would've indicated anything either way. When he signed with the penguins, I immediately wondered if the Flyers had an opportunity to resign him at that amount.

<< ha ha, short memory eh? Jagr CHOSE the Flyers!!! >>

LOL. Shorter memory! Jagr chose $3.3 million over $2 million. :)

What you are really trying to say is the Pens were too cap strapped to offer him fair market value...... :D

But Langkow did have some decent years in Calgary. That was a good fit with him. Interesting that you bring up the anthology of Langkow with Carter, etc. I had forgotten all of that!! I guess that was the era when we getting #1 draft picks in trades instead of giving them away!!

Sure. He's a 2nd line center playing with Jerome Iginla. Calgary never did get that guy a real #1 center. Langkow was a good player, but we made out like bandits in that deal.

<< What you are really trying to say is the Pens were too cap strapped to offer him fair market value...... :D >>

Depends on your perspective. After they withdrew their offer to Jagr, they inked Sullivan for 1.5 and resigned Kennedy at 2MM per. Had the room at one point. Then....we'll just say they went in another direction. :-) Have to say...impressed by Jags do far.

<< What you are really trying to say is the Pens were too cap strapped to offer him fair market value...... :D >>

Depends on your perspective. After they withdrew their offer to Jagr, they inked Sullivan for 1.5 and resigned Kennedy at 2MM per. Had the room at one point. Then....we'll just say they went in another direction. :-) Have to say...impressed by Jags do far.

I have been amazed by Jagr's output so far. I figured he would be an OK 2nd liner when the signed him...boy am I glad to eat crow on that one.