Random Thoughts...

Guest WingNut722

As I sit at my desk drinking my Tim Horton's and putting off responsibility for a few more minutes, I'd like to share a few thoughts on last night's atrocious loss to the Capitals...

First...Defensive breakdowns allowed three of the Capitals 5 goals last night. I was particularly stressed over Mike Knuble's goal, where we had two Grand Rapids Griffins playing the puck, not their man. Brendan Smith and Doug Janik both took their eyes off their own marks and followed the puck. This allowed Jason Chimera to slip a pass to Knuble who easily beat Howard. Had Brendan Smith not played the puck, the pass could have been blocked, stopped, or not made at all. Jimmy Howard was completely set on Chimera and would have made an easy stop.

Second... Thomas Holmstrom is now becoming a burden to his team. You will always hear about Holmstrom being the "best player in front of the net". Perhaps he was. However, Holmstrom has not had a goal in 20-some games, and given dozens of power play opportunities, the most he comes up with is interference penalties and disallowed goals. I hate to bring this up again, but ever since Milan Lucic ran into Ryan Miller, the NHL has not been the same. The goalies are so protected now, they don't even need masks anymore. ANY contact in the crease whatsoever is grounds for a penalty. For 15 years with the Winged Wheel, Holmstrom has parked himself in front of goaltenders working the screen, and for 15 years, defending players have done everything they could to push, shove, slash, elbow, kick, scratch and claw to keep him off center. This gives Homer a real chippy attitude, which makes him shove a Capitals player (I forget which one) into the net, disallowing Cory Emmerton's goal and offering the Caps another PP opportunity which Ovechkin made the most of. He can't skate, he can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't play score, and he can't hold his emotions... I think it's time he stepped down.

Third...SHOOT THE PUCK! The Wings had a huge power play opportunity at the end of the second period to come within one of the Caps. They didn't shoot. 20,000 people in the building calling for a shot and the Wings did nothing but pass the puck along the boards and blue line. Did you hear the Boo's coming from the crowd when the horn sounded? I'm as moved as anybody seeing a bullet from the blue line make it's way past a goaltender, but when you're down by three halfway through the game, you got to come up with goals anyway you can, and that includes dirty rebounds. But they're not going to come unless you fling that little black rubber thingie over to that square-looking box thingie. The Red Wings had 33 shots on goal last night. Which is okay for a game that's close or a game you're winning. But they were in a hole all night long. That number should have been 43...

Rangers on Wednesday....oy....

Well it got a little better against the Rangers, but it still wasn't enough, was it?

The absent defense while watching Brad Richards skate the entire length of the ice right down the middle, barely being touched the entire trip, and then only with a stick-to-stick touch by Kronwall made me SICK! (Kronner should be upset with himself for that play.) Only thing we forgot to do is roll out the red carpet for him! (Miss Lidstrom a little bit, do we?)

At least we played more disciplined hockey overall than we have been. It was a better game to watch. We sure did find the iron a couple of times. Callahan found it too but the right side of it for the winner in OT. Great shot. Bad puck luck on a couple of Wings shots. That's how it seems to go when you're down, right?

I did appreciate Nyquist's skills last night, but also his mistakes. Same with Brendan Smith. Babs is right that it is a game of mistakes. Both of their defensive lapses on the Rangers' 2 goals bit them in the butt.

The Wings earned their point. But 1 point per game efforts aren't gonna cut it in this league.

Still very concerned, I'm afraid.

@SpikeDDS If they lose to Carolina, then I'll be worried. Still in 4-5 place in teh standings. Not bad at all. We'll never be first...it's too late. However, allow me to throw this out for fun...wouldn't be the wrost thing in the world if the Wings ended up in 6th place, would it? That would pit them against Dallas (if things stay the same), who they beat all four times this year. I'd almost rather face them isntead of Nashville.

@SpikeDDS If they lose to Carolina, then I'll be worried. Still in 4-5 place in teh standings. Not bad at all. We'll never be first...it's too late. However, allow me to throw this out for fun...wouldn't be the wrost thing in the world if the Wings ended up in 6th place, would it? That would pit them against Dallas (if things stay the same), who they beat all four times this year. I'd almost rather face them isntead of Nashville.

You're not wrong about Dallas, but in order to get there, we'll have to stumble into the playoffs. We need to get some of our guys back, regain our structure, and get some momentum going in. The first round isn't the time to find your game again.

@SpikeDDS No not at all. But ther perspective is to stay ahead of Nashville for the fourth spot or else you'll be in fifth against Nashville. If that were the case, I'd rather be sixth against Dallas.

I think I'd still rather be playing better going in and being 5th than playing worse and getting 6th. But it's certainly not a strong disagreement. I certainly see your point. However, I want the Cup, not just an easier road to the 2nd round. If we stumble in, the Cup's not likely. If we're playing well, I still like us against the Preds.