Is Bob an RFA this summer?

Guest hf101

Frank Seravalli is reporting that the Flyers only signed a two year entry level contract making him a RFA this summer. CapGeek states he still is under contract next year. Thus Bryzgalov would be the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Interesting.

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/flyers/?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=143018085

Frank Seravalli is reporting that the Flyers only signed a two year entry level contract making him a RFA this summer. CapGeek states he still is under contract next year. Thus Bryzgalov would be the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Interesting.

http://mobile.philly...rs&id=143018085

It really doesn't matter since Breezy will play 75% of the games...unless he goes down with an injury.. Bob has not been impressive anyway..

http://mobile.philly...rs&id=143018085

Evidently Seravalli is wrong. This is sloppy work because this fact is central to the point of the article (Flyers only have one goaltender under contract for next year) and super easy to research.

Evidently Seravalli is wrong. This is sloppy work because this fact is central to the point of the article (Flyers only have one goaltender under contract for next year) and super easy to research.

Seravalli could have at least edited the Wikipedia entry to make him right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Bobrovsky

After playing his first four professional seasons with Metallurg Novokuznetsk in Russia, Bobrovsky signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Flyers on May 6, 2010.

He's probably working on that now. Seriously though, I do more thorough research for my posts than he does to publish an article in the paper. At least he could have done some "lite" research on Wikipedia.

The wikipedia entry cites the Flyers website,which makes no mention of contract length.

Flyers Sign Three Prospects

philadelphiaflyers.com

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed goaltenders Sergei Bobrovsky, from the Kontinental Hockey League, and Brian Stewart from Northern Michigan University, and forward Andrew Rowe from Michigan State University to contracts, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

Bobrovsky, 21, finished the 2009-10 season with Novokuznetsk Metallurg of the KHL where he posted a 9-22-3 record with a 2.72 goals-against average and a .919 save percentage in 35 appearances.

Over the span of two seasons with Metallurg, the 6’2’’, 190-pound goaltender compiled a 15-38-5 record in 67 appearances to go along with his 2.62 GAA and .923 save percentage.

Stewart, 25, completed his fourth season for the Northern Michigan University Wildcats of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). He registered an 18-11-7 record with a 2.43 GAA and .927 save percentage, including four shutouts in 37 appearances, while also being named CCHA Goaltender of the Week on four occasions.

He also appeared in three games with the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, posting a 1-2-0 record with a 3.63 GAA and .882 save percentage in that span. He made his professional debut on Apr. 3 at Albany and recorded his first professional victory by stopping 31 of 33 shots for a 3-2 win vs. Binghamton on Apr. 7.

A native of Burnaby, British Columbia, Stewart compiled a 50-42-14 record and 2.53 GAA in 117 appearances over the course of his four-year collegiate career with Northern Michigan University.

Rowe, 22, recorded 28 points (17G,11A) and 38 penalty minutes in 38 games with the Michigan State Spartans of the CCHA in 2009-10. His 17 goals finished second on the team as did his +12 rating, while his 28 points finished fourth on the squad.

A native of Muskegon, Mich., Rowe registered 49 points (26G,23A) and 60 penalty minutes in 94 games during his three-year career with the Spartans.

Although, that certainly is no excuse to make up the contract length of two years out of the blue. nhlnumbers.com also has Bob at a three year deal.

nhlnumbers, capgeek. rotoworld...

I checked the wiki link and saw that before I posted. I did find it in other places to corroborate.

I haven't found capgeek to be wrong about... anything yet.

I'll confess that I didn't actually READ the article until now.

It states quite clearly:

Consider:

* Sergei Bobrovsky, the NHL's second-highest paid backup, us set to become a restricted free agent following the 2012-1013 season.

this sentence immediately follows:

That's because looking ahead to next year, Bryzgalov is currently the Flyers' only goaltender under contract next season at the NHL or AHL level.

Unbelievable that this would be written. Unbelievable it would be missed by an editor. Unbelievable it would be published in a major daily newspaper.

@radoran

Unbelievable that this would be written. Unbelievable it would be missed by an editor. Unbelievable it would be published in a major daily newspaper.

You know what Rad that article was edited today. (03/22/2012 11:43 AM) To bad I didn't quote it on my phone yesterday. But the original article said Bob only signed a two year entry level contract. So the correction was made today, and the reasoning for his whole article is shot, with both Bob and Bryz under contract next year. lol

I'm not paid to cover the team and I knew Bob signed a three year deal and was signed for next season.

The search for goalie depth is a fine topic for an article given that Mr. Softee is likely to want to find a waiver wire to be on by the middle of next season.

It didn't need the hyperbole.

It did need an editor.

oh, and here's another thing which just occurred to me:

Bob signed the contract on May 6, 2010 when he was 21 (born Sept. 23, 1988).

Under the CBA all entry level contracts for 21-year-olds are three years.

Frank Seravalli is reporting that the Flyers only signed a two year entry level contract making him a RFA this summer.

remember what i've said about beat writers being completely useless? :)

the entry level system is very rigid. any entry level deal signed by a player 21 or younger *has* to be 3 years. 22-23 is 2 years, 24 is 1 year.

bob was 21 when the deal was signed, so, 3 years.

edit: well, that's what i get for responding to the first post without reading the rest of the thread. sorry for repeating myself. rather, sorry for repeating everyone else. lol.

to save some face, here's a factoid: the player's age on the actual signing date doesn't matter, it's his age on sept 15 of that calander year. bob turned 22 on sept 20, so he was only 5 days away from getting the 2 year deal seravalli was talking about.

Edited by aziz