Panacchio...Trying to Stir the Pot Again ?

Guest Desert_Fly_Dog

A pomander, from French pomme d'ambre, i.e. apple of amber, is a ball made of perfumes, such as ambergris (whence the name), musk, or civet.[1] The pomander was worn or carried in a vase, also known by the same name, as a protection against infection in times of pestilence or merely as a useful article to modify bad smells.[1] The globular cases which contained the pomanders were hung from a neck-chain or belt, or attached to the girdle, and were usually perforated and made of gold or silver.[1] Sometimes they contained several partitions, in each of which was placed a different perfume.[1]

I think we should all tweet to Tim:" Don't you like Russians? Stop to do thing with Bryz vs the Team".

I think he hate Russians.

I know for sure he is Pitts fan, but when I asked him about it last year, he said why doe it matter, because I can be fan of the other team, but write about other team.

I will do now.

pinocchio and carchidi are the 2 biggest problems with philly's sports media, imo. both are always looking for the negative angle on a story. if there isn't one.. they try to make one. they're both hacks when it comes to journalism because they are looking for soap opera, not an accurate telling of an event.

I guess I'm missing it but I don't see any glaring ethical violation here by Tim P. He asked Bryzgalov if it was possible the team had a letdown. Asking the goalie how the team played in front of him is pretty standard fare isn't it?

I guess I'm missing it but I don't see any glaring ethical violation here by Tim P. He asked Bryzgalov if it was possible the team had a letdown. Asking the goalie how the team played in front of him is pretty standard fare isn't it?

Asking the question is standard fare. Putting words in someone's mouth and writing a misleading headline.....well wait, I guess that's pretty standard fare too, unfortunately

What an image, from Jay Greenberg at CSN:

"Simmonds’ canvas was the space between rookie goalie Braden Holtby’s legs, which the Flyers’ winger painted Thursday night, ending their brush with consecutive home defeats."

reminds me of that SNL skit "Everyone's a Critic" when andy says, "Can i paint you?"

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1037101" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Edited by mkscrewy

"How do you feel the team played against Florida?" and "Do you think the team had a letdown against Florida?" are two different questions.

The first one is seeking the honest impression of a player. The second is looking to create a "ZOMG BRYZ SAID LETDOWN" headline.

It's not a "glaring ethical violation" it's just lazy, shoddy journalism.

Wow, okay. Guess we all better attend the Hair-Splitters Convention next week in AC, because I need some direction on this issue - as I think you all do.

Seriously - yes it's a "leading question" but my goodness how sensitive must we be to take offense at it? It was flat-out obvious the team had a letdown, it was the proverbial "trap" game after the weekend the Flyers had. The headline is a different thing altogether; in case you (whoever) don't know, the beat writers don't choose their headlines, those are dreamed up by some other guy on every paper. That's just the way it works. And I agree it was a lousy one.

Sure - I read the Sun once in awhile and the Leafs' articles are about as positive as they can be - without stretching the bounds of reason too much I mean (!). I expect that and don't hold it against a paper when they show favoritism for the home team.

I think overall the Philly media (print) is basically the same - supportive when the Flyers are winning, hopeful when they're not. Even the back-n-forth with Richards over the years, the worst of it - ragging on him for saying "it's just one game" etc. - was like petty high-school crap (sometimes on both sides). Probably not Richards or Carchidi's finest moments but I doubt Richards lost sleep over any of it. At the end of the day he's Mike Richards and Carchidi is scratching out a living as a glorified stenographer.

Questioning Bryzgalov about the letdown against the Panthers is too obvious; it would've been strange not to ask him about it. But if you don't like it file it under "who cares?" and move on. After all we're talking about sports here not death-****. No offense to the OP, and I agree it was a dumb headline. But that's what headlines are for, to grab your attention. The story itself? I don't see anything wrong with it.

Wow, okay. Guess we all better attend the Hair-Splitters Convention next week in AC, because I need some direction on this issue - as I think you all do.

Seriously - yes it's a "leading question" but my goodness how sensitive must we be to take offense at it? It was flat-out obvious the team had a letdown, it was the proverbial "trap" game after the weekend the Flyers had. The headline is a different thing altogether; in case you (whoever) don't know, the beat writers don't choose their headlines, those are dreamed up by some other guy on every paper. That's just the way it works. And I agree it was a lousy one.

You are conflating my posts, which you have apparently not read all of, with the reactions of others on this thread. Feel free to direct criticism to specific posters instead.

My analyses - to sum up the posts in response to a thread created by another poster - have specifically mentioned the headline writer "trolling for links" explicitly. I've written for the sports section of a major daily newspaper. I know how it works.

My criticism - to reiterate, again - is the leading question, the fact that Bryzgalov never uses the word "letdown" and responds with a "maybe," the mention that there were other (unnamed) players who apparently also felt that it was a "letdown" with all the focus put on Bryz, and the posting of an item including all of these flaws with a headline designed to attract attention and spur controversy.

For what it was - an inflammatory piece designed to attract attention and links - it was fine. As a hockeybuzz post or a tweet (as I have also explicitly said) it is appropriate.

As a "news" item on the flagship of NBCSports in Philadelphia it was, IMO, lacking in many, many important aspects.

If anyone should be taking offense, it's the Comcast shareholders who are supporting this as journalism.

Your mileage may vary.