Simmonds Going to Heat up

Guest Green Man

I think that shootout goal last night is going to help Simmonds big time over the next few games. You could just see the relief and pressure lift off of him when he skated back to the bench, man was he pumped. Exactly what he needs right now and a GREAT call by Lavy sending him out there. He's been streaky this year and I think this may kick start another one.

One thing that I have noticed is the complete lack of chemistry between him and Briere though.

@Bertmega. I somewhat agree with Briere. He's working hard, getting to and controlling the puck, but he's not finishing. He's been getting helpers, but it seems they're more "luck" (bad word for it, but the best I can come up with) than due to chemistry with any particular player like he had with Leino and Hartnell in 2010.

This is not to say I think he's playing poorly, just that he seems like he's not really clicking with anyone on the team, except maybe Jagr when they're together in 4-on-4 situations. And I'm loathe to split up Jagr and Giroux. I think Danny needs a banger on his line to give him some space, but he maybe needs someone to control the puck like Leino did to give him a little extra time to get to open areas when he doesn't have the puck as well? I dunno.

@AJgoal

Voracek and perhaps Talbot would work well. Voracek can control and move the puck well and Talbot can grind it out. I like Danny B and I don't want to dog the guy, I am just puzzled as to what is going on with him.

My wishful thinking forward lines (healthy) going into the playoffs would be:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Voracek-Briere-Talbot

JvR-Schenn-Simmonds

Rinaldo-Court-Wellwood

@AJgoal

Voracek and perhaps Talbot would work well. Voracek can control and move the puck well and Talbot can grind it out. I like Danny B and I don't want to dog the guy, I am just puzzled as to what is going on with him.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Voracek-Briere-Talbot

JvR-Schenn-Simmonds

Rinaldo-Court-Wellwood

Couturier?

@Bertmega. I somewhat agree with Briere. He's working hard, getting to and controlling the puck, but he's not finishing. He's been getting helpers, but it seems they're more "luck" (bad word for it, but the best I can come up with) than due to chemistry with any particular player like he had with Leino and Hartnell in 2010.

This is not to say I think he's playing poorly, just that he seems like he's not really clicking with anyone on the team, except maybe Jagr when they're together in 4-on-4 situations. And I'm loathe to split up Jagr and Giroux. I think Danny needs a banger on his line to give him some space, but he maybe needs someone to control the puck like Leino did to give him a little extra time to get to open areas when he doesn't have the puck as well? I dunno.

I agree. Briere has always struggled to produce (since he's been with the Flyers) except when he's clicked with certain line mates (Gagne, Prospal, Hartnell/Leino). I would seriously consider putting him with Jagr. I think Giroux will be fine with almost anyone (maybe try JVR when he comes back) and it might even stop Giroux from trying to force passes (which I think he does with Jagr) and shoot more or look for other options.

@Bertmega - I like those lines, but you left Read out. Read-Couturier-Welly might make a heck of a fourth line. I'm not sure if Rinaldo brings enough to the table to bench Wellwood in favor of him at this point, and I'm actually pretty alright with Rinaldo's game.

@Jack - That's kind of what I was thinking. JVR did pretty well on Giroux's wing last year. Maybe take Bert's lines and put Voracek with Schenn, JVR with Giroux, and Jagr with Briere? The talent is definitely there, just need to tweak it to get the best out of every line.

@AJgoal

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Voracek-Briere-Talbot

JvR-Schenn-Simmonds

Rinaldo-Court-Wellwood

One problem with that is that I think Talbot is too valuable on a checking line to have him on what should be predominantly a scoring line. I think in the playoffs he'll be mainly 4th line.

I agree. Briere has always struggled to produce (since he's been with the Flyers) except when he's clicked with certain line mates (Gagne, Prospal, Hartnell/Leino). I would seriously consider putting him with Jagr. I think Giroux will be fine with almost anyone (maybe try JVR when he comes back) and it might even stop Giroux from trying to force passes (which I think he does with Jagr) and shoot more or look for other options.

Astute comment. Danny's super talented but you can't just throw him out there with anyone. When he clicks with line mates, look out, but it can be difficult to get him matched up. I think Jagr's about the best choice but I kind of doubt that will happen for reasons you can imagine. He's just going to have to figure it out with someone else.

@AJgoal

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Voracek-Briere-Talbot

JvR-Schenn-Simmonds

Rinaldo-Court-Wellwood

Big problem is "we" have too many centers Talbots already been to Lavy asking not to play wing,Danny does not do well on wing.

Swap Talbot and Couturier. If Briere gets tossed from the draw, there is a second center ready to go. Once in a while, the Flyers get tossed out of the dot seemingly all game. Might be a solution to that and sparking Briere's production.

I think this was mentioned before, but Briere likes to keep the same line-mates for a while. This season he has been the odd man out almost every game. Let's put so & so with him tonight, then so & so is hurt, so let's put so & so with Danny. Maybe it is just one of those years when he can't get used to anyone...and is struggling to find his rhythm. I like the idea of Voracheck with Danny since he plays and passes a bit like Leino (but with speed), JVR might work well with Danny, but I think the Schenn, Simmons and JVR line showed signs of brilliance the short time they were together.

Anyway, my point...Danny needs to get comfortable with folks, but this year he hasn't had that luxury. Playoff time, if we don't get saddled with more injuries, he should start to get a more consistent line. Just sayin'

@Bertmega

"but I really like Schenn and Simmonds together. Once JvR comes back, I think they would make a great line."

There were teamed together before and I thought they were a DOMINATING line- and one of the few times I saw all year where JVR seemed to 'fit'.

• Like 1

I'd really like to see the following for the playoffs when/If all are healthy:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek

JVR Briere Jagr

Talbot Schenn Simmonds

Read Couts Wellwood/rinaldo

and taking out JVR:

Hartnell Giroux Briere

Voracek Schenn Jagr

Read Talbot Simmonds

Wellwood Couts Rinaldo

@Vanflyer

Any chance of JvR returning by round #1?

I feel like the kid (JvR) is in the fan's doghouse, but will be a beast when he is finally healthy enough to get a full season under his belt.

But the most dominating I saw him was the brief stint that he had with Simmonds and Schenn.

I think this was mentioned before, but Briere likes to keep the same line-mates for a while. This season he has been the odd man out almost every game. Let's put so & so with him tonight, then so & so is hurt, so let's put so & so with Danny. Maybe it is just one of those years when he can't get used to anyone...and is struggling to find his rhythm. I like the idea of Voracheck with Danny since he plays and passes a bit like Leino (but with speed), JVR might work well with Danny, but I think the Schenn, Simmons and JVR line showed signs of brilliance the short time they were together.

Anyway, my point...Danny needs to get comfortable with folks, but this year he hasn't had that luxury. Playoff time, if we don't get saddled with more injuries, he should start to get a more consistent line. Just sayin'

I really like seeing Danny & Schenn on the same line. Schenn seems to be the banger/battler that Danny's line needs. Not sure who the 3rd forward on that line should be - probably need a play-maker to go alongg with Danny as the finisher/scorer?

I'd really like to see the following for the playoffs when/If all are healthy:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek

JVR Briere Jagr

Talbot Schenn Simmonds

Read Couts Wellwood/rinaldo

and taking out JVR:

Hartnell Giroux Briere

Voracek Schenn Jagr

Read Talbot Simmonds

Wellwood Couts Rinaldo

Why would you move Jagr from Giroux's line? I wouldn't touch that line at all.

"Why would you move Jagr from Giroux's line? I wouldn't touch that line at all."

The thinking was that anybody would be able to play with Giroux, so I figure to put Briere up there with Roo and Harts.

Jagr is a great puck carrier and I feel would play well with either Briere or Schenn in the middle.

"Why would you move Jagr from Giroux's line? I wouldn't touch that line at all."

The thinking was that anybody would be able to play with Giroux, so I figure to put Briere up there with Roo and Harts.

Jagr is a great puck carrier and I feel would play well with either Briere or Schenn in the middle.

Just seems like the top line has got such good chemistry that I would not mess with that. G & Jagr seem to just know where the other will be at any given moment, and Hartnell mucking & grinding along with them is a lthal combination.