After The Columbus Game...

Guest NastyNate

What are your thoughts on this Flyers team? I am having a difficult time feeling them out. Some nights they look unstoppable, other nights not so much. I figure a lot of that has to do with all the new faces and new lines they are juggling with. I know they have a ton of potential and can outscore just about anyone, but how do you feel about the team as a whole this far into the season? Is this a legit stanley cup contender? do they need to make a big move at the deadline to acquire some defense?

Hopefully they continue to improve as the season progresses. It has certainly been an entertaining season, I am looking forward to watching this team grow and get better. Its going to be one hell of a ride!

Yeah, I'd be careful about using last night's game as any kind of measuring stick so to speak (not that anyone in this post was per say)...... Columbus looked HORRIBLE man....I mean, the D was simply atrocious! Imagine trying to be a "hockey fan" in that city right now.....YIKES.

However, good to see guys like Coutier continue to build on the confidence, as well as voracheck. We did a lot of thing right as a team last night (no turn overs in our own end, no stupid penalties, etc), but lets see how we do back in our own division..... I want to see this team have a week were they play the Caps, Pens, and Rangers in the same week.....THEN we can see what we're really made of! Still real early in the season I feel....Lot of guys up and down, injuries, line changes.....long season to go.

This team is gonna be up/down all year, I think. Some major upside and some serious flaws too.

1. Too close to being a one-line team. Jagr-Giroux and whomever will always dominate. But not as much chemistry yet from the other lines. OTOH, JvR, Brier, Voracek, Simmonds and Scooter can be expected to chip in most of the time. Hell, even Talbot.

2. Defense is potentially a major weakness, beyond the 2nd pair again. If Timo and Pronger wear down over the year, the Goals Against will inflate, and it's already too high. OTOH, if everyone's healthy, and if Walker is kept off the NHL roster in favor of Gus, our d-corps is potentially as good as it needs to be.

3. Bryzy hasn't been as solid as Homer and Snider likely thought but the D has been wildly inconsistent too. Bob has been mostly sharp except the Jets game, but that whole thing was just weird. I just hope Lavy doesn't ride either goalie too hard, and gets Bob about 1 start every 3 or 4 games, so both guys have some kind of rhythm and they each get work.

Same as they were before the game. They are a decent team that will probably get into the playoffs around the 5 or 6 spot. Their defense is mediocre, especially without Pronger. And I still don't think Bryz is the answer, but we are stuck with him. I also don't think Laviolette is the coach come next season.

That was not even an AHL defense last night and mason is struggling mightily. So it was my feeling, even before the game, that the flyers should completely own them. They did, so the only conclusion I can take from last night is that we have a solid NHL team.

... Which is good. But, it's still a WIP. We won't really know what kind of contenders they are until like march. Long season, a lot could happen.

The only definite observation I have at this point is that the Flyers are better without Brayden Schenn and Jody Shelly in the lineup.

I agree. the only way i want to see shenn back in the lineup is if another center were to be traded for a defensman. other than that leave him in the minors so he gets regular playing time

I agree with leaving Schenn in the minors. It's clear that he isn't ready for the big league. It's amazing that he appears so lost and Couturier looks so composed. It's like night and day. I think Schenn will eventually be a good player in this league. He just needs more time to develop.

What are your thoughts on this Flyers team? I am having a difficult time feeling them out. Some nights they look unstoppable, other nights not so much. I figure a lot of that has to do with all the new faces and new lines they are juggling with. I know they have a ton of potential and can outscore just about anyone, but how do you feel about the team as a whole this far into the season? Is this a legit stanley cup contender? do they need to make a big move at the deadline to acquire some defense?

Hopefully they continue to improve as the season progresses. It has certainly been an entertaining season, I am looking forward to watching this team grow and get better. Its going to be one hell of a ride!

I think it's pretty much what I expected. A little bit of a roller coaster ride and probably will be for the first 20-25 games. I figured with all the new pieces and some of the youth on the team it would take some time to gel.

At the beginning of the season I thought we would challenge for a 7-8 spot. If Pronger was healthy possibly challenge as high as 4.

Despite all the horrible defensive play we are in a good position thus far, I still think/hope we need to make a deal to swap out either Carle or Coburn and bring in a physical, stay at home guy to complement Pronger.

In general....I'm happy with the work effort and overall depth on defense and offense. Our goalie situation is stronger than it's been since Lindburgh was alive. This is a wide open race in the East, a direct effect of the salary cap...so as rad likes to say, it's the team that can catch the elusive lightning in a bottle at the right time. That and playoff experience/depth....which we have a LOT of. We *should* have a respectable shot at winning it all. A lot depends on the youth developing quickly in pressure situations, the health of Pronger and how Bryz plays in the spring with a legit defense in front of him.