Flyers Win Eastern Conference!

Guest trevluk

Now that I have your attention, just some of observations that, though a long shot, it is in fact possible....

1. To some degree the Flyers control their own destiny with Pittsburgh. If the Flyers maintain pace with the Pens over the rest of the season and win both of the remaining matchups against them, Flyers finish ahead of the Pens.

2. If the Flyers stay 2 wins ahead of pace with the Rangers over the rest of the season and win their remaining match up against them in regulation time, Flyers finish ahead of the Rags. (I know, I know, just trying to think positive.)

3. If the Flyers accomplish both 1 and 2, Flyers win the Eastern Conference.

4. If playoff seeds were based purely on points, the Atlantic Division would currently hold seeds 1-4 by a pretty healthy margin. Toughest division in the NHL in my book, though Central division almost equally as tough.

Now that I have your attention, just some of observations that, though a long shot, it is in fact possible....

1. To some degree the Flyers control their own destiny with Pittsburgh. If the Flyers maintain pace with the Pens over the rest of the season and win both of the remaining matchups against them, Flyers finish ahead of the Pens.

2. If the Flyers stay 2 wins ahead of pace with the Rangers over the rest of the season and win their remaining match up against them in regulation time, Flyers finish ahead of the Rags. (I know, I know, just trying to think positive.)

3. If the Flyers accomplish both 1 and 2, Flyers win the Eastern Conference.

4. If playoff seeds were based purely on points, the Atlantic Division would currently hold seeds 1-4 by a pretty healthy margin. Toughest division in the NHL in my book, though Central division almost equally as tough.

So who do you want to draw? There are no easy opponents. Not for anyone. The one team I would want if I got in would be th eCaps because of their pathetic goaltending and poor coaching.

does not matter to me, you have to beat 4 good teams to win the tournament, i'd like to end pittsburgh's season in the first round when everyone is healthy, that way there are no "yeah buts" when the flyers do advance, there are no easy outs after april 10

there are a few easy opponents... buffalo is the primary one. given the choice between the caps and buffalo, i'd take buffalo every day and twice on sunday. they are going to be a cakewalk for any of the other teams. that is, unless miller can keep up his stellar play as of late. but, i doubt it. miller tried to carry them on his back last year as well and that didn't work out too well.

anyone we could play 1st round will be tough, except for the sabres.

So who do you want to draw? There are no easy opponents. Not for anyone. The one team I would want if I got in would be th eCaps because of their pathetic goaltending and poor coaching.

I agree with mojo, no "easy" draw, but if I had a choice I guess I'd say I'd say, based strictly on opponents, I'd take Panthers of Caps first round, though in truth I really wouldn't want that because that would mean the Flyers struggled at the end of the season and finished in 6th or 7th, so no thanks!

there are a few easy opponents... buffalo is the primary one. given the choice between the caps and buffalo, i'd take buffalo every day and twice on sunday. they are going to be a cakewalk for any of the other teams. that is, unless miller can keep up his stellar play as of late. but, i doubt it. miller tried to carry them on his back last year as well and that didn't work out too well.

anyone we could play 1st round will be tough, except for the sabres.

I'm in no hurry to face Buffalo. They are playing well finally and Miller has the ability to steal games. I'd prefer them to the Pens or Rags but after that, toss up.

does not matter to me, you have to beat 4 good teams to win the tournament, i'd like to end pittsburgh's season in the first round when everyone is healthy, that way there are no "yeah buts" when the flyers do advance, there are no easy outs after april 10

Agree. I don't think Pittsburgh defensive play is as strong as the Flyers. A Pens vs Flyers matchup would be a heck of a series.

I don't see it happening, but I don't think it matters.

I really think that this team (re-build & everything!) has a legit chance to win the Cup.

Still can't believe how good the Flyers are, even with all of these youngsters in the lineup. They are going to be dominant in a year or two.

kind of like your crap sabres

I would much rather face the Caps than the sabres. Miller seems to have gotten his game together, much like another maligned goalie we all have come to know....

Neuvirth/Vokoun don't have the same ability to steal games that a hot Miller does.

@terp

I guess Florida out of all of them, but after that I guess I'd take facing Pittsburgh except for the fact that when you play them in the playoffs with Sid you play the refs too. I'd stay away from the Rangers and Bruins still. They seem to have our number.

It really doesn't matter. You have to play your best to win it so if the Flyers can do that they can be ok if they keep getting this goaltending and team defense.

Should you feel the need to discuss members or off-topic items, please use the "All Other OT Stuff" forum.

The posts in this thread that were OT are now here - http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/23547-miller-time-rick-talk/

Please stay on topic and remember that calling someone "stupid" or their opinion "stupid" is not welcome on this board.

As someone said in this thread, please keep it intelligent. Should you find a thread that is not staying on topic, please click the "report" button on the thread that isn't on topic. That will help the moderators keep up with policing the board. Carry On.

@Digityman

Did you delete a post or two? Because I don't see anyone calling anyone else "stupid" or a similar derivative of the word. I'm just asking because I am trying to keep track of the normal daily confusion that comes with getting old and the other kind.

Should you find a thread that is not staying on topic, please click the "report" button on the thread that isn't on topic. That will help the moderators keep up with policing the board.

really? we're doing this now?

le sigh.

Edited by aziz

@trevluk

I don't think there is a realistic chance of Eastern conference anymore. If either of pittsburgh or rags go 3-3 the rest of the way, we are done. The BEST we can finish now is 106, (actully 2-3-1 by the rags or 3-3 by the Pens) would close us out.

It's a slippery slope.

i guess. honestly, i prefer a free for all. the only thing i ever wanted locked down was the thread spamming.

totally respect the effort you've put in here, but things are a touch squeeky clean, aren't they? auto-censors, sub-catigorization of sub-catigories with everything-in-its-place monitoring, posters being encouraged to report each other, admins stalking the halls policing behavior... you have a very clean, corporate site going here, and i'm impressed; you've done a great job. just didn't realy realize clean and corporate was the goal.

don't mean to poo poo on you. it's just that i've only now realized i'll never have another nice, long, drawn out flame war so long as i post here, and i kind of liked having those. it's how i was introduced to half of you, afterall. it's pretty much my entire persona, you know? who am i if i have to be nice to everyone?

i guess. honestly, i prefer a free for all. the only thing i ever wanted locked down was the thread spamming.

totally respect the effort you've put in here, but things are a touch squeeky clean, aren't they? auto-censors, sub-catigorization of sub-catigories with everything-in-its-place monitoring, posters being encouraged to report each other, admins stalking the halls policing behavior... you have a very clean, corporate site going here, and i'm impressed; you've done a great job. just didn't realy realize clean and corporate was the goal.

don't mean to poo poo on you. it's just that i've only now realized i'll never have another nice, long, drawn out flame war so long as i post here, and i kind of liked having those. it's how i was introduced to half of you, afterall. it's pretty much my entire persona, you know? who am i if i have to be nice to everyone?

Reported for stating your opinion....

You can just go to the OT forum --> http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/forum/80-all-other-ot-stuff/

I'm sure you can start a flame war fairly easily and that's a free-for-all.

@aziz

Topic debates are welcomed, especially those with creative vocabulary. What makes this forum different than the Philly.com site is that this is not only for Flyer fans. I think all of us can tell the difference between an insult and humorous teasing.

Topic debates are welcomed, especially those with creative vocabulary

sure, but what happens when most of your creativity takes the form of pejorative phrasing?

edit: crap, see? now we're off topic and i'm gonna get banned. thanks hf.

Edited by aziz

sure, but what happens when most of your creativity takes the form of pejorative phrasing?

edit: crap, see? now we're off topic and i'm gonna get banned. thanks hf.

Reported

Yeah I know that Jack's job, but he's obviously slacking.