4 goals on 14 shots against?

Guest AndyS

Ryan Malone shorthanded breakaway off a bad turnover

Steven Stamkos off a bad turnover

Martin St. Louis breakaway behind the defense

Carle hands Wyman the puck behind Bryzgalov's back on a bad turnoer

Empty net

I might like Bryz to stop the Malone shot, but the other three?

Horrible turnovers (2 by Briere and 1 by Carle) killed the Flyers. Bryz stops Malone or St Louis and this game has a whole different outlook. This was one of those nights where you could just see it coming. Top it off with a Phenomenal and Outstanding game by Roloson....and now you have....the rest of the story....

The words phenomenal and outstanding brought to you by Pierre McGuire.......

This was a bad team game. I'm not blaming Bryz at all. Were some stoppable? Sure, but come on. You can't keep putting your goalie in those positions all night. Bad focus tonight. THe Flyers didn't deserve to win.

i said it in another thread, but it bears repeating: there were about 4 seconds of bad team game, total, broken into 4 discrete parts. 59:56 of pretty damn good. the didn't deserve to win, true, because they ended up with the smaller number on the scoreboard...but you won't see a more dominating performance in a loss.

you make it sound like they got tossed around all night. 4 mistakes, 4 goals against. unlucky. tampa made way more than 4 mistakes, but didn't suffer for them. happy breaks. sure, everyone makes their own luck/lack of, but...imo the only thing to do with games like that -and what i hope laviolette is telling the team to do- is shrug your shoulders and move on.

oh, and danny, don't try to beat a guy one-on-one when you are the last one back. just saying.

it's all obviously on bryz. according to our favorite beat writer he was "sleeping on the post" while carle was overplaying, then mishandling the puck right before he gave it away to the TB player. [it's updated to "Carle inexplicably losing a puck behind his own net while his goalie, Ilya Bryzgalov momentarily dozed, as Tampa’s J.T. Wyman slipped it into the net."] i'm guessing Timmay P couldn't wait to type out that one. sometimes you just can't get a break. anyhow, like others have said, some bad giveaways on our part lead directly to goals by them. we've seen this happen before where we control play, make a mistake and then pay the price. we had some unlucky breaks in our offensive end too, and Roloson played great, always seemed to be in the right spot, pucks were just hitting him—that happens. what should have been the tying goal went under his pad, hit the post, then went back out underneath him. bad luck. a couple bad mistakes that should at least serve as reminders for the rest of the year on what not to do; it happens. i don't think we played a poor game, but since we lost we have find someone to blame.

When does the article come out about whether Bryz is going back into the woods?

EDIT: one thing i really liked was Simmonds's effort on his goal, leading the rush and working that give and go with Schenn. was a really pretty play by a line that worked hard all night.

Edited by mkscrewy

It's true. They can be 29th or 30th in the League - or 22nd like they are now and we find a way to dump games to them. Even without Hedman and Vinny and and and... we still come up short.

Nobody is to blame for the loss last night, not Bryzgalov, not "the team" not even the officials (!). It was just one of those stupid games where every break goes their way...like usual.

If Carchidi and Panaccio believe that the goalie should be closing off that post every time their defenseman takes the puck behind the net, I can see their point.

There is no way they believe that.

Bryz has stopped breakaways, especially recently with two of three against Montreal, for example. But you can't keep giving up breakaways like that, especially to players like Martin St. Louis.

Nobody is to blame for the loss last night, not Bryzgalov, not "the team" not even the officials (!). It was just one of those stupid games where every break goes their way...like usual.

Can't agree more!

That goal was all on Carle, not on Bryz. Bryz came out to provide a bit of a "pick" for Carle. I think the team kept trying to be too "cute" instead of just dumping it in. The smothering (boring) defense of Tampa just kept standing up at the blue line. The Flyers only dumped it in a few times, but the majority of the time they kept trying to deke their way in or trying a quick pass right at the blue line and would turn it over or go offsides. I hope our playoff matchup wasn't watching this game, we'll definitely be out in the first round if so...

-and what i hope laviolette is telling the team to do- is shrug your shoulders and move on.

I agree with that. Those breakdowns will still kill you come playoff time potentially and I think you have to tighten up those mistakes because they seem to have those breakdowns often. Like every game often. But I agree with the shrug your shoulders and move on thing. Rollie played well and masked their mistakes tonight too.

But if a team plays great but gives up 3 turnovers and 2 breakaways that contribute to opponent goals its not a great team game across the board. It happens and they did good stuff too, I'm just defending Bryz a little bit because I don't agree you can pin this game on him and I heard others seem to come across that way.

I'm just defending Bryz a little bit because I don't agree you can pin this game on him and I heard others seem to come across that way.

i agree there, bryzgalov is free and clear on this one. as much as you'd like your goalie to eat breakaways up, you can't expect it to happen. he'll get some, and allow some. he allowed some last night. sometimes that's how the dice land.

The turnovers WERE bad, no one would argue that. But it shakes confidence when your goalie can't stop ANY of them.

exactly. I mean if it's a turnover like Carle's, where it comes out of no where and has players caught in positions where they can't do a thing about, it is one thing. Turnovers that occur far enough away that it basically boils the play down to a breakaway that Bryz has plenty of time to get set up for though shouldn't be as big of a problem as they are. He just seems to just struggle with breakaways in general, I mean, that's basically what the shootout is and we all know how fabulous he is in those situations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing those turnovers but just because a play gets classified as a turnover doesn't mean it should indicate that it is the direct reason for a goal. The way turnover and deflections are classified and talked about in relation to goals, it almost sounds like unless the Flyers play absolutely perfect airtight hockey, then forget about it.

I'm not excusing those turnovers but just because a play gets classified as a turnover doesn't mean it should indicate that it is the direct reason for a goal.

no, but when it's a breakaway, and especially when the skater decides to take a shot from 25 feet out...there is only so much the goalie can do. if the shooter places his shot perfectly, especially blocker side....i really can't fault bryzgalov on those. his angles might not have been super great on malone's shot, i guess, but st louis'? it's a situation where the goalie only has a chance if the shooter gives him a chance, i.e. misses his exact target a little. st louis ting'd his off the upper joint blocker side, though. that's just a goalscoring shot, nothing else to say about it.

I guess what I was getting at with the turnover thing was that a breakaway should be looked at as a breakaway once it occurs from far enough out and how the breakaway came about shouldn't factor into decided whether or not the goalie should've had it.

to your point, then I guess it's up the actual play. St. Louis' goal was amazing, no goalie in this or any other league should be expected to stop that. But for the most part (and obviously I'm not talking about JUST the specifics of this game), his breakaway goals against don't look like that. He's just not as great of a breakaway goalie as I would like or his pay would indicate. He gives up too many breakaway goals for my taste.

when the skater decides to take a shot from 25 feet out...there is only so much the goalie can do.

Some of those slappers he lets in are Jody Shelley type slappers and to me there's plenty that a top tier goalie should be able to do.

Some of those slappers he lets in are Jody Shelley type slappers and to me there's plenty that a top tier goalie should be able to do.

i can't disagree. i guess i just have a rule: breakaway and 2-1 goals against are not the goalie's fault. there are exceptions, but in general, if i have to point a finger on those plays, it isn't going to be at the goalie.

@aziz-

"i can't disagree. i guess i just have a rule: breakaway and 2-1 goals against are not the goalie's fault. there are exceptions, but in general, if i have to point a finger on those plays, it isn't going to be at the goalie."

Knowing that you are a goalie, I can see your leanings on this. But to Spinoramas point, this is not dissimilar to shootouts. Half of the league stops 60% of shootout attempts or better. This however is one of Bryz's frailties and I think that was the point Spinorama was making. We needed him to stop one of those (and Malones would be the one I would isolate on).

Also, 25 feet out is very stoppable if you are playing the angle correctly and square up properly.