My Short Time Goalie Plan

Guest idahophilly

This is just off the top of my head and maybe I didn't think it through all the way, hence the invite for your ideas:

OK, here we go...

Thursday against Toronto: Bob

Saturday against the Senators: Bacashihua... Yes! Why not? We have a great cushion and we need Bob for Pittsburgh on Sunday. Let this kid get his 1st NHL start and see what he can do. Now, if Bob plays lights out on Thursday maybe I start Bob but i still lean towards Bacashihua.

Sunday vs the Penguins: Obviously a Bob start, no question. He has good luck against them.

This allows Bryz to rest until next week and heal up and let the swelling go down.

And to go on with this, I shut Timmo down until the first game of next week as well. We are in the playoffs with little hope of a signifacant change in position so why not.

Part of the strategy is to allow the kids to get into there playoff grooves with more playing time (we WILL need them big time) and allow a few injuries to heal on the older players.

So what do you all think?

Anything that doesn't involve Leighton is ok by me!

Alternate Bob and Bacashihua the rest of the way for all I care, maybe slip Bryz in Thurs/Sat vs Buffalo and the Rags next week to get him warmed up....

It's actually not a bad idea. We are not going to miss the playoffs. And, with Bruschetta Bread and Bob alternating then if something does go wrong with Bryz we would know what we have with the other two...

Yeah, I think we need to warm Bryz and Timmo up the last few games but really, we are in a sweet spot right now. We can afford to rest these guys and heal them up a bit. They are veterans and can bring it on in short notice. They no score (pun intended) so to speak. Mean while, we have all those young hungry players/rookies who can keep the intensity and fire going so the team doesnt drift into the playoffs. And no worries about missing the playoffs. Perfect.

@idahophilly

Exactly, we're pretty much locked into 5th (barring PIT losing out-doubtful) so let's get see who's got what

Also agree on Kimmo, I might shut him down the rest of the way or just give a light workload those last two games

So you are conceding the remaining games?

Then it won't matter cause they'll beat out the first round if they don't try to win those games...

Then it won't matter cause they'll beat out the first round if they don't try to win those games...

No buddy said we are conceding these games. I'm saying lets rest Bryz and Timmo since they are already injured and maintain our intensity with all those young and hungry rookies/1-3 year players (including Giroux), let them get their playoff legs by playing a bit more and realize that Bryz's injury could be worse and we might need Bob. Get him and JB in there. Let Talbot/Jagr/Briere/ect... lead this young core for the rest of the season. And I bet we still win most of the games...

Well, if they tanked the rest of the season they'd still couldn't end up with a tougher matchup than they face now, Pens on the road, so I hardly think that would be tragic. But that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying if you drive Bryz into the ground down the stretch and he comes into the playoffs hobbled, then you WILL be out in the first round.

@idahophilly

Exactly, we're pretty much locked into 5th (barring PIT losing out-doubtful)

Actually I dont think that is the case. If we keep pace with Pitt on the remaining games and beat them in regulation in both of our remaining match-ups against them, then we could overtake them for 4th seed. The question is, do we even want home ice? The Flyers have played better on the road and all we need to do is steal one away game to take away the Pen's home ice advantage.

Edited by trevluk

And, with Bruschetta Bread and Bob alternating then if something does go wrong with Bryz we would know what we have with the other two...

nah. ride bob until bryzgalov can come back. a nice heavy workload for a week will go some distance to getting bob back into game shape. tossing the other guy a game or two doesn't accomplish a whole lot. you'd be taking starts away from bob that he could use to knock some rust off, and the only thing you'd be getting in return are a couple momentary spotlights on this other guy. seeing him play a game or two won't tell you what you've got in him in general, it'll just tell you what he'd look like in his first few NHL starts. he could be nervous as hell and blow it, or he could have the adrenaline working for him and play way over his head. either way, his 5th start isn't likely to be like his 1st.

ideal world, bob gets the next 4 starts, and bryzgalov is ready to take the last two of the season as a final tune-up.

nah. ride bob until bryzgalov can come back. a nice heavy workload for a week will go some distance to getting bob back into game shape. tossing the other guy a game or two doesn't accomplish a whole lot. you'd be taking starts away from bob that he could use to knock some rust off, and the only thing you'd be getting in return are a couple momentary spotlights on this other guy. seeing him play a game or two won't tell you what you've got in him in general, it'll just tell you what he'd look like in his first few NHL starts. he could be nervous as hell and blow it, or he could have the adrenaline working for him and play way over his head. either way, his 5th start isn't likely to be like his 1st.

ideal world, bob gets the next 4 starts, and bryzgalov is ready to take the last two of the season as a final tune-up.

Exactly aziz. Give Bob a few games together to see if he can remember how to play. I would not start "Buy Cashew Nuts" unless Bob went down with an injury. Nothing against "Buy Cashew Nuts" but If it turns out Bryz needs more time to heal, I want Bob to be as ready as he can be going into the post season.

Exactly aziz. Give Bob a few games together to see if he can remember how to play. I would not start "Buy Cashew Nuts" unless Bob went down with an injury. Nothing against "Buy Cashew Nuts" but If it turns out Bryz needs more time to heal, I want Bob to be as ready as he can be going into the post season.

Well, I was open to changing my opinion on this and that does sound logical. Bob needs the work to shake the rust off. I just hope everyone gives him a chance because there will be rust and we might loose a few...

Well, I was open to changing my opinion on this and that does sound logical. Bob needs the work to shake the rust off. I just hope everyone gives him a chance because there will be rust and we might loose a few...

Maybe the rust will give the skaters some jump in all zones, bringing back the scoring and maintaining D? Not sure there is any hope for the abysmal neutral zone play.

Well, if they tanked the rest of the season they'd still couldn't end up with a tougher matchup than they face now, Pens on the road, so I hardly think that would be tragic. But that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying if you drive Bryz into the ground down the stretch and he comes into the playoffs hobbled, then you WILL be out in the first round.

I agree my biggest worry is having to play the Pens and the refs, not making excuses but i have been watxching within the last 6 years and have seen the favoritism...it is why the PK is going to have to come up HUGE in the playoffs...Bryz needs to be healthy and rested.......