Still A Systemic Problem

Guest SpikeDDS

It isn't just the fact that we lost to Columbus. It isn't just the fact that we lost to Columbus 4-2. It is HOW we lost to Columbus 4-2 that validates my main concern going into the SCP.

The previous 1 2/3 games, it was wonderful to see the Wings offense playing like it can, even though it was doing so against Carolina and Columbus. But here we are in the very next game, once again playing the worst team in hockey giving up odd-man rush after odd-man rush, and falling behind 4-1, just like we did against Carolina (although against the Hurricanes, we didn't play this badly).

When the playoffs start, it is predictable that defense will become more prominent. Our offense will not have the room it enjoys during the regular season. The difference in winning and losing will be made by the defense. The team who makes fewer mistakes will win more games. But our defense shows that it continues to make mistake after mistake, giving up odd-man rush after odd-man rush. And granted (I hope) that when Jimmy Howard is in goal, he's probably gonna make more saves than Conklin does, but doesn't that mean we only go down 3-1 instead of 4-1? And we're still playing catch-up hockey = losing hockey!

I think we are in for a short postseason. I don't think 5 regular season games is enough to fix the problems.

I think we are in for a short postseason. I don't think 5 regular season games is enough to fix the problems.

I agree, Spike. Friday's tilt against Nashville will tell the tale of the Playoffs. I agree that they'll end up with Nashville in the Quarterfinals and I also think Nashville will have home ice. I'd be willing to bet the winner of Friday's game will be the winner of the first round series. I'd be willing to throw some good HF Tokens at that. If they don't come out against Nashville, it's because they WON'T, not becasue they can't. It's rediculous that a team like Detroit can still believe they can get by on half-a$$ play. This is a team that is searching for their confidence under rocks in the park, had a huge win against Columbus two nights ago, came out against the VERY SAME TEAM last night, and played like pee-wee leaguers.

There is no such thing as a road jinx. There is not some mystical hex which slows your game down when you're playing in someone else's barn. It's a hockey team on a hockey rink. Same size, same shape. I will concede that a visitors' locker room and 20,000 fans wearing someone else's colors is a force to be reckoned with, but it seems to me they'd be able to tune that out by now.