Tootoo Runs Miller

Guest hf101

It doen't appear as if Tootoo tried to get out of Miller's way. It doesn't appear as if he tried to slow up. And he lost the puck. But I also don't think it was intentional.

I think what also needs to be looked at here is Miller pounding Tootoo's head in the ice.

Looks to me like he was trying avoid him. If it was anybody other than Miller would it have been such an issue?

Maybe, like I said I don't think he had premeditated intent, but it doesn't appear as if he tried to stop though either, or get out of the way. I think the reason why this should be suspendable is because Miller was in his crease as compared to the last episode, and the league should send a message that charging the goalie at full speed is not an acceptable behavior in the NHL.

Tootoo was driving hard to the net and the d-man squeezed him into the goalie. I don't know how he was supposed to avoid contact there or stop. I'm sorry Miller got hurt but driving hard to the net is a fundamental play in the NHL. If Miller is not 100% and isn't prepared to take a hit then he shouldn't be in the net.

Tootoo was driving hard to the net and the d-man squeezed him into the goalie. I don't know how he was supposed to avoid contact there or stop. I'm sorry Miller got hurt but driving hard to the net is a fundamental play in the NHL. If Miller is not 100% and isn't prepared to take a hit then he shouldn't be in the net.

Um, sorry but the goaltender is not in the net to be the recipient of checks, he is there to stop the puck.

69.7 Fines and Suspensions - An attacking player who, in the judgment of the Referee, initiates contact with the goalkeeper, whether inside or outside the crease, in a fashion that would otherwise warrant a penalty, will be assessed an appropriate penalty (minor or major and/or game misconduct) and will be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

Tootoo received a 5min major for charging and a game misconduct and is subject to additional sanctions.

It doen't appear as if Tootoo tried to get out of Miller's way. It doesn't appear as if he tried to slow up. And he lost the puck. But I also don't think it was intentional.

I think what also needs to be looked at here is Miller pounding Tootoo's head in the ice.

I agree, especially with the need to look into Miller's actions.

Um, sorry but the goaltender is not in the net to be the recipient of checks, he is there to stop the puck.

69.7 Fines and Suspensions - An attacking player who, in the judgment of the Referee, initiates contact with the goalkeeper, whether inside or outside the crease, in a fashion that would otherwise warrant a penalty, will be assessed an appropriate penalty (minor or major and/or game misconduct) and will be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

Tootoo received a 5min major for charging and a game misconduct and is subject to additional sanctions.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was ok or within the rules to check or hit the goalie. My point was using Miller's injury as some sort of crutch to handicap an opponent from driving the net in fear of making contact with him is nonsense. Either he is healthy or not healthy and shouldn't play. Tootoo was trying to drive the net and Miller's d-man hemmed him in to the point where his only path was to make contact with Miller. Tootoo can't predict how the d-man is going to play him as he is driving to the net. If anyone should receive supplemental discipline it should be Miller who deliberately made blows to an opponents head.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was ok or within the rules to check or hit the goalie. My point was using Miller's injury as some sort of crutch to handicap an opponent from driving the net in fear of making contact with him is nonsense. Either he is healthy or not healthy and shouldn't play.

I don't think I made a point of that nature, the opponent isn't allowed to charge or interfere with the goalie beyond incidental contact.

61.2 Penalty - In all cases in which an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate). In all cases where the infraction being imposed is to the attacking player for hindering the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely in his goal crease, the penalty to be assessed is for goalkeeper interference.

In exercising his judgment, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.

Tootoo was trying to drive the net and Miller's d-man hemmed him in to the point where his only path was to make contact with Miller. Tootoo can't predict how the d-man is going to play him as he is driving to the net. If anyone should receive supplemental discipline it should be Miller who deliberately made blows to an opponents head.

I disagree, the defenseman surely had time to get out of the way of Miller. Why not Tootoo? Tootoo had time to at least attempt to stop, maybe run into the goal net, but instead he chose skate the path right through Miller

If this was Bob or Bryz, this forum would be screaming foul play for a suspension.

Tootoo made the choice to drive headlong into the crease. He wasn't "squeezed into it" by the defenseman.

That's illegal. It's also a really really cheap play on another player, just back from concussion. "Intent to injure" seems obvious - or else Tootoo is a complete moron*

If I'm Miller, I'm willing to take a minor on that to show his team and the opposition (now and later) that he's not fragile and not going to take it.

* willing to accept this possiblity

Not a cryin'ryan fan but that was a shitty hit worthy of suspension. The defenseman poke checks the puck and then skates behind the net. Tootoo had the room and the time to avoid the hit but chose to try and rub Miller out by leading with his arms up.

<< Two game suspension for Tootoo. Fair enough. >>

Yup. Very fair. Glad nothing for Miller, too. First game back from concussion symptoms after getting run by Lucic and that happens while he's IN his crease? I would have gone apeshite, too.

Two game suspension for Tootoo.

Fair enough.

Sounds like Buffalo needs to call up a career AHL goon for their next tilts with Boston and Nashville...

What's that? They don't play the Preds again? Good point.

But they close the season @ Boston...

<< Two game suspension for Tootoo. Fair enough. >>

Yup. Very fair. Glad nothing for Miller, too. First game back from concussion symptoms after getting run by Lucic and that happens while he's IN his crease? I would have gone apeshite, too.

That doesn't make it right. At least the suspension for Tootoo is reasonable.

<< That doesn't make it right. At least the suspension for Tootoo is reasonable. >>

Respectfully disagree. The league dropped the ball by not suspending Lucic so I have no problem with Miller taking things into his own hands there so long as he is not WAY out of line which he wasn't. Punching the guy who just blatantly ran you is "eye for an eye" and not suspension worthy. Now if Miller had gouged his eyes out with his blocker or done something more egregious than throwing punches, then go ahead and suspend. I/M/H/O, Miller had every right to get a few shots in on Tootoo...even while he was down. If Tootoo didn't like it, don't run the goalie. My guess is Tootoo knew exactly what he was doing...trying to rattle the guy who just came back from a concussion. If anyone went to far, it was Tootoo.